News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 616     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Elementary Teachers Federation of ON (15 Huntley St., 4s, KPMB)

I'm not so crazy about the cladding colour which can look like Pepto-Bismol (anyone close enough to know what the material they used?), but everything else about this building is wonderful. Fantastic proportions, great fenestration. Amongst the most beautiful KPMB work ever.

I think y'all misinterpreted what I meant re: residential use above the office. To me it's obvious, being teacher related, that some school functions and perhaps affordable co-op-style apartments should've been incorporated into the site given budget cutbacks. It doesn't have to be 25s. How about eight storeys? New teachers starting out in Toronto often aren't making enough to afford prime real estate. Why not think ahead and provide them with units on sites such as this one?

Careful.. the anti-union folks are going to have you hanged for your comment about new teachers and income.

I'm not so crazy about the cladding colour which can look like Pepto-Bismol (anyone close enough to know what the material they used?), but everything else about this building is wonderful. Fantastic proportions, great fenestration. Amongst the most beautiful KPMB work ever.

The black and white render is great, but have to agree on the cladding...Kinda ruins it.

I only ever saw this building in person at night. I thought the Pepto-Bismol panels were bronze or a dark Corten. Disappointing but still a handsome building. I probably should pass by during the day to get a better view.

This is a rather nicely proportioned office building. It is just now occuring to me that this has been built on school district property and I wonder if some mechanism exists to funnel saved funds to the upkeep and renovation of the adjacent facility. Photos taken 2 March 2013.

IMG_3374_1-L.jpg

IMG_3376_1-L.jpg

IMG_3379_1-L.jpg

IMG_3380_1-XL.jpg

IMG_3381_1-L.jpg

IMG_3384_1-L.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think that's school board property. I know it was, but I believe it was declared surplus and bought by ETFO. It doesn't make sense that the board would have just given land to the union, they're two different entities.

A part of me loves it, and a part of me feels it's a little too heavy-handed. Definitely overall a success IMO.

Also that glazed entrance canopy is beautiful!

Was that marble slab paving leading up to the entrance that I saw in the photos? It looks amazing. Marble paving is quite rare in Toronto. This project is quite impressive overall, but too bad about the panel colour.

You're right, we should cut the salaries of our elementary school teachers to the point where only idiots would want to teach our children!

Here's to the future!

In the meantime, gorgeous building.

Back