News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 551     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Election Results- Moving Forward

Source?

Edit: there's no difference between a subway and an underground LRT I assume? Given your love of interchanging the terms. So Eglinton wouldn't make a difference if it was HRT versus LRT? Good to know that we can switch it without an additional EA.
Hmm, interesting. I think I must have read something somewhere recently that was wrong, because it looks like it does include subway.

Though there is always the risk with any Class EA that there will be a bump-up order; and it has happened with some large sewer tunnels in 905 ... which aren't that different than subways in terms of construction techniques (TBMs ...).

Edit ... oh here is the source of my confusion.

Before 2007 you needed full (Individual) EA for any transit project. Then in September 2007 they added the Class EA for "for planning bus rapid transit and light rail transit projects, it does not provide for subway projects." And then in May 2008 they added another one that did include subways. There's some discussion of this in a York Region Yonge Subway Extension Report:
http://www.york.ca/NR/rdonlyres/uci...pcjjfuwqadvuksbp3xdsuvqhzofa/Apr+10+Yonge.pdf

I hadn't realised it changed in 2008. My apologies for the confusion (so much for my conspiracy theory on why they don't call the Eglinton LRT tunnel a subway).

(note to York Region ... you need a simpler URL scheme).

Last edited:
What is the risk of a Transit EA for Sheppard West (probably the only subway EA needed for Ford's plan, if they do end up somehow using the SRT alignment for the subway, anyway) being bumped up to a Class EA? Is there anything signficant there? I can't say I'm very familiar with the area.

The divine plan. Long time ago metrolinx made a divine plan. Gave it a lot of thought. Decided it was a good plan. Put it into practice. And for years the divine plan has been doing just fine. Now ford comes along and prays for cancellations. Well, suppose the thing ford wants isn't in metrolinx's divine plan. What do you want metrolinx to do? Change its plan? Just for ford? Doesn't it seem a little arrogant? It's a divine plan. What's the use of planning transit if every run-down schmuck with a two dollar notebook can come along and fuck up your plan?

seriously, transit expansion should somewhat be run with deistic principles in mind.
lol...it took me a second to figure out that this is a George Carlin bit. Nicely done!

What is the risk of a Transit EA for Sheppard West
Offhand, I'd think it would be the potential impact on streamflows to the Don River in the Bathurst/Sheppard area. Depends on how deep the tunnel is, and the local geology, which I'm not particularly familiar with. Unless there is some endangered creature living in Earl Bales Park, which could also trigger it. (yes there is, they are called skiers!)

(the simple EAs are the Class EAs. If they are bumped up, they become Individual EAs).

(probably the only subway EA needed for Ford's plan, if they do end up somehow using the SRT alignment for the subway, anyway)
Even if they could use the SRT alignment for the Danforth subway extension, I'd think the massive changes to Kennedy station to re-orient the subway platforms would in itself trigger a Class EA.

What is the risk of a Transit EA for Sheppard West (probably the only subway EA needed for Ford's plan, if they do end up somehow using the SRT alignment for the subway, anyway) being bumped up to a Class EA? Is there anything signficant there? I can't say I'm very familiar with the area.
Sheppard crosses the Don River, that's about it. Depends on how they would tackle that. Depending on how deep the tunnel is at the end of it at Wellbeck, if they build a station at Senlac it's doubtful the tunnel could get down low enough to go under the river (and if it did then Sheppard/Bathurst station would be 15+ storeys underground) so they're looking at a new bridge in a conservation area. It also depends on whether they have to touch CFB land to build a junction at Downsview.

True, they could simply build a bridge, like they did for where the Sheppard subway crossed the Don River branch just east of Leslie. Then it becomes pretty minor ...

... but you never know sometimes.

So it starts already ... back tracking ... outright lies:

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/881629--ford-won-t-touch-streetcars?bn=1

Rob Ford has no plans to rip up streetcars, his brother and campaign manager said Tuesday, an indication the mayor-elect may be softening on some of his most divisive campaign pledges.

“That was (a rumour from) our competition,” said Doug Ford. “Yes, we want to look at more effective ways of running transit, but by no means are we going to get a crane and start yanking up streetcars and throwing them in the lake.”

It was right in their platform to replace **some downtown** streetcar lines with buses!

I just watched his painful youtube video on transportation. (I'm a masochist, what can i say)

he's right, there was nothing in there about removing downtown streetcars.

The bus conversion comment was about converting the proposed eglinton LRT (/streetcar) to buses.

Haven't (and won't) see the video. But it is in his platform.

See http://www.robfordformayor.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Transportation-Plan4.pdf

We will improve traffic flow downtown by removing some streetcars. Streetcars on downtown arterial streets will be replaced with clean buses that provide the same capacity on the same routes. This will make the system safer and more accessible for all users. It will also improve traffic flow. Zero net cost. Cost to purchase and operate new buses will be offset by savings from reduced purchase of streetcars, sale of existing streetcars and reduced streetcar system maintenance.

Earlier he mentions streetcars moving at 17 km/hr, and he talks about DOWNTON streets, and sale of existing streetcars ... it's quite clear he was talking about he existing fleet, not Transit City.

The best part is on Page 5, where it shows that he'd build 2 bridges for bikes to Toronto Island by 2014 - one from Cherry Beach.

I'd love to hear how this will work; it was virtually the only thing in his platform that made any sense.

No new EA for Eglinton? That all seems strange to me, considering tunnel sizes are different, and only part is underground. Don't get me wrong, saving time and money doing something decades due is fine by me.

Of course Ford is restudying his "promises", it goes to prove it is easier to shout something at the top of your lungs but actually having it materialize is different. Now Ford is "The Man", and how he deals with it should be interesting.

I would imagine they still would need an EA, because it would involve an extensive reno of Kennedy Stn, and also there are several points on the line where the turning radius would have to be completely redesigned.

No new EA for Eglinton? That all seems strange to me, considering tunnel sizes are different, and only part is underground. Don't get me wrong, saving time and money doing something decades due is fine by me.

Of course Ford is restudying his "promises", it goes to prove it is easier to shout something at the top of your lungs but actually having it materialize is different. Now Ford is "The Man", and how he deals with it should be interesting.

The Eglinton tunnels are being built to subway specs. So strictly speaking, there isn't a need for a new EA.

Back