News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 502     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Election Results- Moving Forward

As are the subway lovers who think Ford could actually fulfill his election promise about subways. There is neither the funding available, or the timeframe. The environmental assessment alone would take a couple of years.
I actually agree with you here.

Not according to the city's website.. but its strongly worded strictly for the purposes to scare off any cancellations. And as been stated by both Metrolinx and the Province; they already have a plan, and they are sticking to it.

The divine plan. Long time ago metrolinx made a divine plan. Gave it a lot of thought. Decided it was a good plan. Put it into practice. And for years the divine plan has been doing just fine. Now ford comes along and prays for cancellations. Well, suppose the thing ford wants isn't in metrolinx's divine plan. What do you want metrolinx to do? Change its plan? Just for ford? Doesn't it seem a little arrogant? It's a divine plan. What's the use of planning transit if every run-down schmuck with a two dollar notebook can come along and fuck up your plan?

seriously, transit expansion should somewhat be run with deistic principles in mind.

Gone. Ford will surely throw it away ... watching the pennies, and destroying the dollars.

Well, nfitz, your election predictions were wayyyyyy off.. so, there's a very likely chance you are wrong here too.. 1.44 billion is too much for even Ford to piss away. You're also assuming he gives a sh*t about this.. and there's little evidence that he does.

Well, nfitz, your election predictions were wayyyyyy off.. so, there's a very likely chance you are wrong here too.. 1.44 billion is too much for even Ford to piss away. You're also assuming he gives a sh*t about this.. and there's little evidence that he does.
Depends what type of legacy he's looking for. Miller kept most of his promises ... will Ford want a legacy of broken promises? I hope your right, but I don't think people are factoring in how the Liberal provincial government will react.

I nailed Pantalone's vote BTW ...

While I disagree with nfitz and Calrissian, nfitz's scenario is far more likely to be correct.

That said, Ford's plan was based on expanding the Sheppard and Danforth lines. So if he keeps to his plan, that'll happen. It all depends on whether the money from cancelled TC projects can be applied to them or not. So we'll see. EA-wise, I don't think Sheppard even needs one, since it was done to what, Victoria Park at least?

Besides, Transit EAs are only 6 months now.

Many of the projects are now at the point where they're moving forward without council involvement. Given Ford's stated priorities, I don't think he'll make any motions related to transit in the first council session. Maybe I'm wrong. I know a lot of people are holding out hope that he does care about transit, but I've seen nothing that makes me believe that.

Colour-coded curbs to indicate parking zones, though? You bet we'll get those. A candy-coloured extravaganza on our city streets.

Hmmm... Ford is delusional if he seriously thinks he can cancel budgeted/current projects. Personally I see very little in the short term from Ford, promises are just words once one is elected, for good or bad.

If Ford can find the money for building his subway dream, which is quite incomplete, I'm all for it; however, Ford is blind to the reality that more buses cost more money, and contribute to more traffic congestion, two things he is against. Another problem is not really having an idea of how diverse transit means serve an entire city, not just a few areas.

Last edited:
Sometimes, I feel everyone should just own their car or two to clog up our roads even more. Maybe then, the urgency for more and more transit will be realized.

Except from 680 news interview with Dalton McGuinty:

Part of Ford's platform includes scrapping streetcars and building more subways.

The Province's cash commitment was for a plan that was endorsing streetcars; however, the Premier said he is open to change.

"Our job, whether we're talking about above ground or underground, is to find common ground," he said, "at some point in time, their officials may want to talk to our officials, and we're going to figure out where we're going to go."

"If mayor Ford and the council want to approach us with a new take on this, then obviously we have a responsibility to listen."

Wouldn't that be awesome? I've always said that all we need to get new subway lines is a mayor and council that asks the province for subway lines. Miller et al failed miserably.

just like network 2011 & transit city, those subway plans won't materialize. we will end up with a fraction of the whole proposal. i hope i'm wrong but history repeats its self like a broken shitty record.

Last edited:
just like network 2011 & transit city, those subway plans won't materialize. we will end up with a fraction of the whole proposal. i hope i'm wrong but history repeats its self like a broken shitty record.

Exactly the sort of thing an apolitical metrolinx was supposed to prevent.

Nope, it's gonna bend like a twig. The more things change...

For light-rail projects. Subways were unchanged, and would take 18 months to 2 years.

Source?

Edit: there's no difference between a subway and an underground LRT I assume? Given your love of interchanging the terms. So Eglinton wouldn't make a difference if it was HRT versus LRT? Good to know that we can switch it without an additional EA.

Well, of course we wouldn't need a new EA, because the logical thing to do is to build the tunnel as designed and run the vehicles we're getting built for it down the middle of it as designed. Even if it truncated to only the tunnel, redesigning it now has no benefits over running it with low floor cars.

Back