News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 619     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Eglinton/Allen Road Westbound North Turning Lanes

Maybe this diagram will clarify things. Not only does removing ramps simplify the intersection, it also makes it safer by reducing the number of conflict points (places where lines cross).
Blue: Pedestrians
Black: General Traffic
Red: Bus-Only

allenlawrencediagram.jpg

After looks very similar to what happens at eglinton and we know that doesn't necessarily work

It seems that Lawrence is the perfect place to make proper on ramps but neither location is going to be easy to build proper exit ramps. As a result maybe it makes sense for the Allen to become a one way street south of Lawrence that intersects with dellpark, glen grove, glencarin, viewpoint, ridelle, elm ridge, aldburn and then eglinton.

After looks very similar to what happens at eglinton and we know that doesn't necessarily work

Yes, it is exactly the same except the bus terminal is on the other side of the street. That makes it better for pedestrians because they don't have to cross any highway ramps to get to the main subway entrance. It also avoids the situation where eastbound Eglinton West buses struggle to make left turns into and out of the terminal with no help from traffic lights. They would instead have a signal phase with left turn signals.

In addition, Lawrence/Allen would have slightly higher capacity than Eglinton/Allen because it has double south-to-west left turn lanes.

I know this doesn't seem all that impressive, but I still maintain that this T intersection style option is better than having more ramps. For every minute we cut travel times at the interchange, more people will drive until the increase in traffic cancels out the time savings. So then there will be just as many delays for motorists, but pedestrians will have a more unpleasant and dangerous interchange to cross. There will also worsen traffic along the rest of Lawrence.

Think about Eglinton Avenue. If Eglinton/Allen had infinite capacity and no delays, the number of cars trying to use Eglinton Avenue would be so immense that there would be complete gridlock. I think the delays experienced at both interchanges are actually impossible to solve, it is only possible to relocate them. And as you've mentioned yourself, it's better to keep the traffic jams on the highway rather than on streets where they threaten people and businesses.

Last edited:
Nothing new, I just made a video about the intersection praising the fact that right and left turns are fully signal-controlled.

It might seem like a little detail, but controlling turning movements is key to implementing safe separate bicycle lanes (cycle tracks). Without it, these separate facilities could actually be more dangerous than painted bike lanes, because cyclists are less visible to motorists.

[video=youtube;0oFUYPSljAc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oFUYPSljAc&feature=plcp[/video]

Nothing new, I just made a video about the intersection praising the fact that right and left turns are fully signal-controlled.

It might seem like a little detail, but controlling turning movements is key to implementing safe separate bicycle lanes (cycle tracks). Without it, these separate facilities could actually be more dangerous than painted bike lanes, because cyclists are less visible to motorists.

Awesome video! Good for people that aren't in the area.

Yes, it is exactly the same except the bus terminal is on the other side of the street. That makes it better for pedestrians because they don't have to cross any highway ramps to get to the main subway entrance. It also avoids the situation where eastbound Eglinton West buses struggle to make left turns into and out of the terminal with no help from traffic lights. They would instead have a signal phase with left turn signals.

In addition, Lawrence/Allen would have slightly higher capacity than Eglinton/Allen because it has double south-to-west left turn lanes.

I know this doesn't seem all that impressive, but I still maintain that this T intersection style option is better than having more ramps. For every minute we cut travel times at the interchange, more people will drive until the increase in traffic cancels out the time savings. So then there will be just as many delays for motorists, but pedestrians will have a more unpleasant and dangerous interchange to cross. There will also worsen traffic along the rest of Lawrence.

Think about Eglinton Avenue. If Eglinton/Allen had infinite capacity and no delays, the number of cars trying to use Eglinton Avenue would be so immense that there would be complete gridlock. I think the delays experienced at both interchanges are actually impossible to solve, it is only possible to relocate them. And as you've mentioned yourself, it's better to keep the traffic jams on the highway rather than on streets where they threaten people and businesses.

You know, I've researched this theory and it is true. The more capacity you provide for vehicles the more people will drive. However, I believe that this is a bad excuse for supporting traffic arrangements that are extremely inefficient. We live in a city that is growing extremely fast and while public transportation should remain our number 1 priority, we should also clear up some choke points for vehicular traffic to help support growth. I'm not implying that we should build entirely new highways, just reconfigurations that will help efficiency.

In my opinion Allen Road is a perfect example of inefficiency. It isn't the point of termination that's the problem in my opinion but rather the fashion in which it terminates.

Due to heavy traffic on Eglinton during rush, various TTC routes are negatively effected due to traffic volumes and disproportionally long turn lights to facilitated traffic towards Downtown/Midtown from Allen Roads terminus at Eglinton.

My solution to this problem would be a short (800m) three laned (one lane reversible based on demand) tunnel from Allen Road to Bathurst St just south of Lawrence that would be labled "Downtown via Bathurst, Midtown via Bathurst & Eglinton/St Clair. This would free the Allen Rd and Eglinton intersection from the bottleneck it experiences and splits up the traffic heading towards Yonge and the traffic heading towards the City's west end.

My solution to this problem would be a short (800m) three laned (one lane reversible based on demand) tunnel from Allen Road to Bathurst St just south of Lawrence that would be labled "Downtown via Bathurst, Midtown via Bathurst & Eglinton/St Clair. This would free the Allen Rd and Eglinton intersection from the bottleneck it experiences and splits up the traffic heading towards Yonge and the traffic heading towards the City's west end.
If you'r going to do that, you might as well just build a 1,500 metre tunnel from the existing terminus, along the ravine, to Bathurst between Burton and Heathdale

i think if oakwood gets a stop and the busses no longer need to go to eglinton west then the bus only lane which starts from marlee to eglinton west can become a second left hand turn lane... so two lanes would be turning left onto the allen expressway. this would solve alot of problems in my opinion... going west bound there should be two lanes turning left onto oakwood....also when the lrt is in then there wont be a need for diamond lanes for the busses on eglinton which will free up considerable road space.

If you'r going to do that, you might as well just build a 1,500 metre tunnel from the existing terminus, along the ravine, to Bathurst between Burton and Heathdale

I chose to put the tunnel to Bathurst in between Lawrence and Eglinton instead of at the current terminus for a few reasons.

1. To avoid land expropriation at Eglinton.
2. To minimize costs due to a shorter length,
a) easier terrain to design a structure (there is no issue with ravines),
b) it is only required to cross under the University line and not the Crosstown,
3.Better traffic distribution: It will provide a more practical connection to locations east of Bathurst in Midtown Toronto. Because of this arrangement, Midtown-bound traffic can take the tunnel as oppose to turning left at the existing intersection creating a bottleneck for all traffic heading to Yonge.

Even though my solution made a better connection to Downtown and Midtown it still leaves the intersection of Allen Rd and Eglinton a mess. With the Crosstown coming in, as much space as possible should be reserved for development and pedestrians since this will become a major node. The next question becomes... How do we eliminate the lights at Eglinton and Allen Road putting the number one priority as pedestrians without completely losing vehicular access from the Allen Rd.

Even though my solution made a better connection to Downtown and Midtown it still leaves the intersection of Allen Rd and Eglinton a mess. With the Crosstown coming in, as much space as possible should be reserved for development and pedestrians since this will become a major node. The next question becomes... How do we eliminate the lights at Eglinton and Allen Road putting the number one priority as pedestrians without completely losing vehicular access from the Allen Rd.
I think if you build your tunnel, then you make it 4 lanes, and redirect the entire Allen down it ... leaving nothing going to Eglinton. Then fill it in and redevelop the area.

Sounds like a great idea, you can also pedestrianize the area and make it one lane in each direction with wide sidewalks from Dufferin to Bathurst (where it would meet eastbound traffic from the Allen)! I guess it would be redundant and regressive to retain the connection at Eglinton and Allen in this arrangement.

Last edited:
Just a reminder http://www.joemihevc.com/

City of Toronto is hosting two public events where you can learn more about this study and provide your input. Each event will include a drop-in portion for viewing study materials and one-on-one discussion with members of the project team, followed by an interactive workshop session.

South Public Event
Date: Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Time: 4 p.m. – 6 p.m. (Drop-in)
6 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. (Workshop)
1445 Eglinton Ave. W.
(at Allen Road)

North Public Event
Date: Tuesday, June 19, 2012
Time: 4:30 p.m. – 6 p.m. (Drop-in)
6 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. (Workshop)
41 Ancaster Rd.
(2 blocks west of Dufferin Street, 200m north off Wilson Avenue)

* Both venues are wheelchair accessible. Please contact to arrange any additional accommodations.

Study Overview
The City of Toronto is studying ways to improve Allen Road for the people who travel on it and the communities that surround it. The study will follow a provincially mandated Environmental Assessment process. It will investigate current challenges and opportunities in the Allen Road corridor from Eglinton Avenue West to just south of Transit Road. Currently, the study will create the Terms of Reference (also known as the “Framework” or “Work Plan”) to guide possible future studies.

Primary Study Area extends 100m on either side of the Allen Road right-of-way; 500m radius at subway stations.

Allen Road: Challenges To Be Investigated
Common Traffic Delays
Drivers on Allen Road experience some of the longest recurring traffic queues in the City. Traffic
congestion generated by Allen Road extends through the area, particularly on Lawrence Avenue West and Eglinton Avenue West.

Intersections
Connecting intersections, specifically at Lawrence Avenue West and Eglinton Avenue West, are considered among the most challenging in the City.

Repairs are Needed
Parts of the aging roadway and many of the original retaining walls and bridges will soon require reconstruction.

Poor Access to TTC
The subway stations are difficult for people to access since the entrances are located in the middle of busy Allen Road ramp intersections.

Design of the Corridor
The design of Allen Road is not well integrated with the surrounding neighbourhoods. It presents a
lack of connectivity with limited east-west crossings. The Highway 401 interchange at Allen Road is
a major obstacle for north-south connectivity for local traffic, cycling and pedestrians.

We Would Like To Hear From You
We are asking for your input to inform this Terms of Reference study. Topics to discuss include:
• Key challenges, opportunities, and other concerns;
• Ideas to improve Allen Road you would like to see explored;
• Approach for evaluating the options in future detailed studies;
• Ways to engage the community and participate in further studies;
• Your priorities for improving the Allen Road corridor.

You are invited to learn more and to share your insights and opinions at any time.

For more information, please contact:
Jason Diceman
Public Consultation Coordinator
City of Toronto
Metro Hall, 19th Fl.
55 John St. Toronto, ON M5V 3C6
Tel: 416-392-3787
Fax: 416-392-2974
TTY: 416-397-0831
E- mail: AllenRdStudy@toronto.ca

Subscribe to the study e-mail list: www.toronto.ca/AllenRdStudy

Back