News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 457     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Eglinton/Allen Road Westbound North Turning Lanes

+1

It would seem like a good place to put the spoil from the Eglinton TBMs.

I don't think there would be enough displaced soil to just plant over top of, unless you are thinking of condos/homes with Sub Sub basement floors

Has the construction really started or is it only testing the soil? I thought the machines would start tunneling in 2012

Has the construction really started or is it only testing the soil? I thought the machines would start tunneling in 2012
For the Eglinton line? I think your in the wrong thread ... however they are building the west launch area, just east of Black Creek. As far as I understand it, this is a cut-and-cover section of tunnel which will also be use as the launch site for the tunnelling machines.

Launch%20Shaft%20Excavation%203%20with%20Decking%20a.jpg

Last edited:
i wonder if with the lrt construction underway if we will soon see the proposal for the tunnel turning lane from eglinton west onto north bound allen.

This is why I posted the question of whether construction of the LRT has started because this poster stated "LRT construction underway"

They could cover the Allen like this:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/storm_watch_stories3&stormfile=a_greener_highway_for_german_041211?ref=ccbox_homepage_topstories

A greener highway for Germany

Hilary Hagerman, staff writer
December 4, 2011 — Germany's Autobahn 7 is a notoriously busy and loud highway. But it's about to get a bit greener.

A rendering of what the park will look like
Germany’s longest motorway is about to undergo a green transformation.
Autobahn 7 (A7) is the country’s longest motorway, measuring a lengthy 963 km. Soon, a stretch of the highway will become a giant public park.
Starting in 2012, construction crews will begin to build a 10-foot tall canopy over about 5 kms of highway – starting in Hamburg’s Scnelsen district, running down to Stellingen and ending in Bahrenfeld.
This strip of the A7 currently divides Hamburg’s Westside from the rest of the city, and sees about 150,000 cars per day.
Construction will start with the Stellingen district, where the kilometre-long park will boast a wooded parkland and community gardens. The half-kilometre stretch in Schnelsen will see a tree-lined promenade to offset the noise caused by six lanes of traffic underneath. Bahrenfeld will get the longest stretch of canopy – and will even see the 1,700 new residential apartments above the A7.
It will take about four years to finish construction, and will cost about a billion dollars. Germany’s federal government is funding the bulk of the project.

The greenspace will be built over the existing highway
It won't be an easy task. In some places, the canopy cover will need to be over 100 feet wide. And the idea hasn’t come without its share of controversy. Many say that it will help reconnect districts that have been divided since the highway was built almost 30 years ago. But others say that construction of the parks is bound to disrupt the flow of traffic on a major highway that connects Denmark and Austria.
Also, gardening plots in Bahrenfeld’s southeast side will be forced to relocate because of the development.
This stretch of highway won’t be the first to be covered in Germany. Other canopies have been built in Munich and Dusseldorf, but this stretch would be the largest of its kind.

I was wondering now that it is known that the allen expressway northbound will have to be shut down between eglinton and lawrence for the eglinton lrt construction for at least a year,,, how long would it take to make a proper on ramp at lawrence to the allen north bound. if they used the space where the allen off ramp is on the south side of lawrence to make a proper doughnut for east bound drivers it would seem to fix alot of traffic headaches... after we see how traffic changes we could consider closing the allen north bound at eglinton and again ppl could use lawrence instead.

i understand marlee works. Im just suggesting that they could find a solution for getting on the allen versus the two crappy solutions they have now at both eglinton and lawrence... both versions now make the cars wait for traffic to clear before turning left. A doughtnut would mean more cars could get on without delays. Personally i think the whole damn expressway should be shut down but im pretty sure that isnt going to happen. Because theres no way to solve the entrance problem on eglinton it seems to make sense that lawrence could work instead.

If they tolled the Allen now, it would reduce demand somewhat so that when Eglinton/Allen is closed many will have already dispersed to alternative routes. Perhaps one possibility would be to build a transit SB off/NB on at Glencairn and/or Viewmount so Allen south of Lawrence could be used as a rapid bus route to Glencairn during the closure (where the current St Clair West partial service turnback is supposed to be shifted to the pocket track just north of the station at Glengrove - that was *supposed* to happen in 2011...)

If they tolled the Allen now, it would reduce demand somewhat so that when Eglinton/Allen is closed many will have already dispersed to alternative routes. Perhaps one possibility would be to build a transit SB off/NB on at Glencairn and/or Viewmount so Allen south of Lawrence could be used as a rapid bus route to Glencairn during the closure (where the current St Clair West partial service turnback is supposed to be shifted to the pocket track just north of the station at Glengrove - that was *supposed* to happen in 2011...)

If they close off the on-ramp to the Allen from Eglinton, they should have no short-turn trains during the time the on-ramp is closed.

If they close off the on-ramp to the Allen from Eglinton, they should have no short-turn trains during the time the on-ramp is closed.

How is Allan Road being closed going to increase subway ridership in that area? Very few people using Allan Road are starting out and ending their trips in that area.

How is Allan Road being closed going to increase subway ridership in that area? Very few people using Allan Road are starting out and ending their trips in that area.
Surely at least one person who currently who drives on Allan will pack it in, and instead drive to Wilson or Yorkdale, and get on the subway.

Surely at least one person who currently who drives on Allan will pack it in, and instead drive to Wilson or Yorkdale, and get on the subway.

I should have included a "by a noticeable amount" in there. I don't see ridership jumping 10% (which would still fit) let alone 50% to justify running more trains.

Back