News   Apr 26, 2024
 629     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 231     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 714     0 

East Danforth

Didn't know the platforms went right along underneath to the end of Strathmore Blvd...the second exit to Pape didn't seem like a huge walk away so I was judging it by that

Last edited:
Didn't know the platforms went right along underneath to the end of Strathmore Blvd...the second exit to Pape didn't seem like a huge walk away so I was judging it by that
Yes, it's interesting isn't it. Makes the idea of putting an exit on Dewhurst almost look like a no-brainer.

Though they could try something unique, and put an exit to the Danforth subway ... on Danforth. (presumably with a store-front entrance on the street, leading back through to stairs towards the back of the property, heading north to a short tunnel ... but this has been some of the controversy ... that such an entry wouldn't meet a non-existent distance standard that TTC engineering staff lied about and pulled out of their asses in an attempt to strong-arm the community in going with what the TTC wanted to do, rather than do proper community consultation.

^ I assume that there are cost implications which might preclude a second entrance on Danforth (also odd to have the main entrance on a side street, and the unstaffed second entrance on Danforth). I suspect it is cheaper to screw over one or two homeowners and expropriate their lots on a side street.

^ I assume that there are cost implications which might preclude a second entrance on Danforth (also odd to have the main entrance on a side street, and the unstaffed second entrance on Danforth). I suspect it is cheaper to screw over one or two homeowners and expropriate their lots on a side street.
Yes, cost would be a huge part of this. It's fine to drop $6 billion on a new subway line on Eglinton, all with multiple entrances on Eglinton, but an extra $10 million to put a single Danforth subway entrance on Danforth is fiscally impossible.

I'd assume that if you ever did an entrance like that on Danforth, you'd simply swap the primary and secondary entrances ... like they did at St. George station a few years ago. Though with the future of automated fare gates, etc., the difference between primary and secondary entrances will diminish.

Also these new "entrances" are only designed as exits. They are not building the structures large enough to have fare gates for entering.

There is a detached daycare at the corner of Strathmore and Donlands which could possibly work as a second exit if they bought it and renovated it...the daycare could possibly relocate next door to the church or across the street at Wilkinson school or the apartment building...

Last edited:
Yes, it's interesting isn't it. Makes the idea of putting an exit on Dewhurst almost look like a no-brainer.

Though they could try something unique, and put an exit to the Danforth subway ... on Danforth. (presumably with a store-front entrance on the street, leading back through to stairs towards the back of the property, heading north to a short tunnel ... but this has been some of the controversy ... that such an entry wouldn't meet a non-existent distance standard that TTC engineering staff lied about and pulled out of their asses in an attempt to strong-arm the community in going with what the TTC wanted to do, rather than do proper community consultation.

Jane Station has something sort of like this with the walkway that leads directly from the north side of Bloor St into the station, which is maybe a little closer than some of the Danforth stations. To make the exit right on Danforth with a tunnel from the station would certainly require a passageway, and then you start getting into sewers and utilities, etc. etc. and the cost goes up, up, up.

Introducing: The Borough, a stylish new gastropub on the Danforth
Toronto Life, 9 October 2014

(Danforth, roughly midway between Greenwood and Coxwell, appears to be across the street from the Wren)

Looks to be same side (north side) of Danforth as The Wren, but about 50 m closer to Greenwood. It's not very far at all from Greenwood subway station in fact ... (which is pooly named, being over 200 metres east of Greenwood!).

The only restaurant I tend to frequent around there is El Sol, about a block further east. And Sarah's very occasionally. One day when the kids are older ...

According to the Toronto Buildings website, permits have been applied for to renovate 1417 Danforth Ave to accommodate a Starbucks. That's on the SW corner of Danforth and Monarch Park, recently occupied by Top Notch Pizza.

TopNotch.jpg

Attachments

• TopNotch.jpg
    TopNotch.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 1,218
According to the Toronto Buildings website, permits have been applied for to renovate 1417 Danforth Ave to accommodate a Starbucks. That's on the SW corner of Danforth and Monarch Park, recently occupied by Top Notch Pizza.

Interesting. I reckoned we'd see a Starbucks east of Jones at some point.

Last edited:

View attachment 46242

That corner has had various middling pizza joints for years, good to see that Starbucks is confident enough in the neighbourhood to set up shop.

Hey Skeezix - I can't seem to find the Building Permit info. When I input the address, nothing comes up. How did you find this info? Can you tweet it to me at @DanforthEast?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Back