News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 542     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

East Danforth

All of this does sound appealing, but given it's proximity to Vic Park station - and the size of the lot, I can easily see this turning into a condo complex. Best hope to save the original building may be a facadectomied condo complex.

Can always hope for the best of both worlds with the size of the lot. Condos on the eastern half and restore this building to a marketish type bldg. as you suggest.
Where is this old Ford plant? I'm scratching my head thinking of what property could possibly be big enough, other than Shoppers World.

Where is this old Ford plant? I'm scratching my head thinking of what property could possibly be big enough, other than Shoppers World.

That's the one.....a page back they had a shot of the exposed brick from when they were turning it into a target. I was amazed to learn about it's original history myself (being a Ford plant.)

That's the one.....a page back they had a shot of the exposed brick from when they were turning it into a target. I was amazed to learn about it's original history myself (being a Ford plant.)
Ah, I didn't read back far enough. Wow, such a small property for a car plant, even compared to what they were doing in the 1930s! It's certainly calling out for some kind of development.

Though not just because of it's proximety to Victoria Park Station. The northeast corner is a 400 metre walk to the subway ... but the southwest corner is less than 300 metres to the end of the Danforth GO platform, if there was a walkway there somewhere.

Ah, I didn't read back far enough. Wow, such a small property for a car plant, even compared to what they were doing in the 1930s! It's certainly calling out for some kind of development.

Though not just because of it's proximety to Victoria Park Station. The northeast corner is a 400 metre walk to the subway ... but the southwest corner is less than 300 metres to the end of the Danforth GO platform, if there was a walkway there somewhere.

ya was thinking about GO myself. Tedious walk currently, there is a side street just south of the Go tracks running parallel to them, but you still have to walk south on Vic Park to get to it. Walking along Danforth just as simple. Far quicker commute to Union though taking the GO, even including the walk - I would guess.

Although the developer could throw in a bridge over the tracks, and that also connects it to the Loblaw's south of the tracks as well.

I take the GO every day to get to my office near Union. It's a wonderful alternative to the 45 minutes on the Subway. Even with the walk from my house it's a total of a 25 minute commute each way. When my wife picks me up, it's down to 15 minutes total! I think the Target will do a lot to turnover the stagnant retail in the area (small, under-kept shops) and the corner of Main/Danforth is seeing some newer retail come in (a great modern furniture store, the new Grillies). I'm not sure the area will see much in the way of higher-density development due to the existing high-rises but I do hope that as the houses turn over that we'll start to see some more vibrancy (ie: better walkability along Danforth) and less used-car lots.

I'm not sure the area will see much in the way of higher-density development due to the existing high-rises but I do hope that as the houses turn over that we'll start to see some more vibrancy (ie: better walkability along Danforth) and less used-car lots.

There's a good chance the existing high rises have already created a high-density precedent for Main and Danforth. An example is the southeast corner of Main and Danforth (2575 Danforth). It was rezoned about 10 years ago to allow 2 new buildings @ 15 storeys and 32 storeys. Doesn't seem like it's going to happen any time soon, but it's approved.

The current funeral home on the northeast corner of Main and Danforth will be sitting on a valuable piece of land over time. Could be the site of a really nice residential midrise or tower one day. Or a really ugly one...

I used to live at VP/Danforth. I always thought there was so much potential to redevelop the other three corners (the other three excluding Shopper's World). I assume with so many little shops, it may be difficult to accumulate the land.

Not many of the old homes on Danforth are still visible. This one remains behind a storefront near Dawes Road (2726 Danforth).

oldhouseat2726Danforth_zpsd6cdf883.jpg

Shoppers' World at Danforth & Victoria Park was recently renovated for the arrival of the TARGET chain of stores. The unmistakable [industrial] roof lines of the original building are evident here. The building was begun in 1921 as a Ford auto assembly plant and remained active until 1953 when Ford moved to Oakville.

TARGETShoppersWorld-formerFordplant_zpscdabb363.jpg
[/URL]

FROM VIC/PARK TO DAWES

Press to walk

presstowalk_zpsc9d3bfa4.jpg

Fitness

fitness_zps5e80c11f.jpg

Psychic

psychic_zps559f5fc6.jpg

Nails

nailsonDanforth_zps6ac9511d.jpg

Colourfull

BSKings_zps004d0b80.jpg

A penny in change

9999_zpsac5f4c18.jpg

Reflections

shop-windowphotographer_zpsfa69c8d2.jpg

Car wash

coincarwash-DawesRd_zps9f0dcdb3.jpg

Lumber

lumber-DawesRd_zps788c9db3.jpg

New coffee shop opening directly next door to Donlands Station, just two doors north of Danforth. Didn't catch the name on the "Coming Soon" sign but it is an interesting choice of location considering the building's former tenant, a dual video game-used cell phone shop.

Back