News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 362     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 931     1 

Dundas West/ Bloor Mobility Hub +interconnected hub network (Metrolinx)

The streetcar and buses leaving Dundas West would be affected by this change and it would add to the gridlock this intersection sees at peak hours
The vehicles are already affected by the exit out of Dundas West station. At rush hour, it takes eons for a sufficient gap to open up to allow the 40 to cut across two directions of traffic.

The vehicles are already affected by the exit out of Dundas West station. At rush hour, it takes eons for a sufficient gap to open up to allow the 40 to cut across two directions of traffic.
Oh I know! Now imagine how much worse it will be if you have pedestrians getting priority crossing with a crosswalk here.

A crosswalk is not needed here. If there is access to the subway through the new concourse on the east of the road, what would a crosswalk add?

Oh I know! Now imagine how much worse it will be if you have pedestrians getting priority crossing with a crosswalk here.

A crosswalk is not needed here. If there is access to the subway through the new concourse on the east of the road, what would a crosswalk add?
What about riders arriving by bus and streetcars that need access to the GO/UPX system as well as walk-in traffic??

Reactions: max
This would be (kind of) true if there was access to the new concourse from the sidewalk, but I don't believe that that is the plan. You can't expect the residents of the Crossways buildings or of the adjacent new building to backtrack through the GO station if they want to go to the subway station. They will try to cross the street at the point that gives them the most direct route, which is where this crosswalk would be

To add: if someone wants to catch a surface vehicle, surely crossing the street will be quicker than descending into the underground and re-emerging.

Perhaps instead of a crosswalk, a better option would be a light controlled intersection, incorporating both tram and bus exits out of the station. The south end of the intersection would be just south of the bus terminal, the north end would be the north end of the intersection with Edna.

What about riders arriving by bus and streetcars that need access to the GO/UPX system as well as walk-in traffic??
This would be (kind of) true if there was access to the new concourse from the sidewalk, but I don't believe that that is the plan. You can't expect the residents of the Crossways buildings or of the adjacent new building to backtrack through the GO station if they want to go to the subway station. They will try to cross the street at the point that gives them the most direct route, which is where this crosswalk would be

The connection from Dundas West Station to GO will be via the east end of the existing platforms, the connection point is quite close to the GO Station, and some distance from the east side of Dundas.

People making the connection here will go TTC almost directly to GO.

You can see how the connection is made you can see my post here:

and @Coolstar 's below that.

I'll move one image from the latter's post over for ease of reference:

1704840868860.png

There does not appear to be any connection to the Crossways retail level. Assuming there is none, passengers would have to exit to Bloor and walk along, at which point they have traffic lights at Dundas West.

Last edited:
You can see how the connection is made you can see my post here:

and @Coolibop 's below that.
Yay me! But credit is due to another cool(guy?) here (@Coolstar).

As no one in Crossways is going to be wandering down Bloor Street to the GO station to catch a bus or a streetcar; and likely not even the subway from the west tower.

And transit vehicles have troubles turning in/out of Edna, then seems to me the solution is just to put traffic lights at Edna and Dundas.

There seems to be some arguement that Edna is too close to the other two lights. But it's over 250 metres from Bloor to the lights north of Chelsea. And it's not unusual to have lights in between.

Edna is just over 100 metres north of Bloor. A lot further than the recent light they added at Pape Station (on Lipton/Pape) only 85 metres north of Danforth. It's for buses - which also reduced dangerous pedestrian crossings.

Last edited:
As no one in Crossways is going to be wandering down Bloor Street to the GO station to catch a bus or a streetcar; and likely not even the subway from the west tower.

And transit vehicles have troubles turning in/out of Edna, then seems to me the solution is just to put traffic lights at Edna and Dundas.

There seems to be some arguement that Edna is too close to the other two lights. But it's over 250 metres from Bloor to the lights north of Chelsea. And it's not unusual to have lights in between.

Edna is just over 100 metres north of Bloor. A lot further than the recent light they added at Pape Station (on Lipton/Pape) only 85 metres north of Danforth. It's for buses - which also reduced dangerous pedestrian crossings.
It's kind of hilarious that as a city obsessed with putting traffic lights where they're not needed, they fail to put one in an obvious location that would hugely benefit everyone. Priorities are way out of whack in this town 🤣

It's kind of hilarious that as a city obsessed with putting traffic lights where they're not needed, they fail to put one in an obvious location that would hugely benefit everyone. Priorities are way out of whack in this town 🤣
Yes, like one to let streetcars cross Broadview at Broadview Station! Apparently vetoed by Councillor Fletcher.

When Shoppers/FreshCo gets redeveloped, get rid of their driveway traffic light by moving it to Edna. 🙂
Unfortunately, the existing signalized intersection is proposed to be moved to Chelsea as part of that redevelopment, which would put it about 90m away from Edna.

There would be something decidedly Torontonian about avoiding having a traffic light to make it easier to exit a transit terminal so that a condo development's private street can be light protected, instead.

I hope they reconsider.

Make sure and suggest that reconsideration to the Planner on the file.

Back