News   Apr 25, 2024
 280     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 902     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 923     0 

Does end of USA embargo of Cuba = end of Redpath Sugar on Queens Quay?

I've always rather liked the Redpath Refinery and its reminder of Toronto harbour's industrial past. I see no reason why it should have to relocate. It is neither smelly nor disgusting unless one considers honest hard work to be smelly and disgusting.

Last year in Havana, I met a man who had worked a few years ago on one of the sugar boats that supplied Redpath. He was quite dazzled by Toronto.

There are a couple of equally ugly factories not far away on the east along the lake to remind you the beautiful industrial past too. You mean the factory itself is not ugly? Maybe we should have more of theses downtown, how about university and king?

There are a couple of equally ugly factories not far away on the east along the lake to remind you the beautiful industrial past too. You mean the factory itself is not ugly? Maybe we should have more of theses downtown, how about university and king?

Oh, ouch!

This is my understanding...

The Redpath Refinery is owned by American Sugar Refining Inc. (an American company, if it wasn't obvious, so they weren't allowed to do business with Cuba anyway). The US sugar market is heavily protected though the form of heavy tariffs on foreign imports and quotas. If there is a sugar shortage in the US and tariffs or quotas are relaxed, ASR has the ability to quickly import refined sugar into the USA through their strategically located refinery in Toronto.

Redpath's importance to its owner means that it's not likely to be going anywhere soon.

(Again, just my understanding of the situation.)

The industries were first at queen and John or bay and front too, should they all stay?

C1325443.jpg

Their turned this former candy factory into lofts, at Queen West & Shaw. Guess someone didn't like them making candy. (Which uses sugar.)

Attachments

• C1325443.jpg
    C1325443.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 682
Their turned this former candy factory into lofts, at Queen West & Shaw. Guess someone didn't like them making candy. (Which uses sugar.)

I would have no complaint if redpath is converted into a loft half as attractive. But a factory and a warehouse are different, aren't they?

Last edited:
No matter how some people justify it (jobs downtown etc), a sugar refinery sitting by our prime waterfront is a huge waste of space. It looks extremely hideous and takes too much space (2 city blocks?). Whoever thinks it is fine the way it's is just kidding himself. I'd rather have a giant parking lot than this smelly disgusting monolith.

What a self-conscious comment.

No matter how some people justify it (jobs downtown etc), a sugar refinery sitting by our prime waterfront is a huge waste of space. It looks extremely hideous and takes too much space (2 city blocks?). Whoever thinks it is fine the way it's is just kidding himself. I'd rather have a giant parking lot than this smelly disgusting monolith.
It looks beautiful. And the smell is heavenly. And it's great to walk past and see the sugar being offloaded.

I've smelled far worse in other big cities along the waterfront, particularly in Asia. Very fishy, especially where there's a market. Not seeing the issue here. Isn't it better that industry like this is integrated into the city, rather than being on an inaccessible industrial estate where you have to drive to work?

Here's a picture I took there recently. I love seeing the big boats come in and I love the smell. ksun is a fool.

IMG_9490.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9490.JPG
    IMG_9490.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 609
This is my understanding...

The Redpath Refinery is owned by American Sugar Refining Inc. (an American company, if it wasn't obvious, so they weren't allowed to do business with Cuba anyway). The US sugar market is heavily protected though the form of heavy tariffs on foreign imports and quotas. If there is a sugar shortage in the US and tariffs or quotas are relaxed, ASR has the ability to quickly import refined sugar into the USA through their strategically located refinery in Toronto.

Redpath's importance to its owner means that it's not likely to be going anywhere soon.

(Again, just my understanding of the situation.)

Cuba's sugar industry really collapsed once its arrangement to sell to the Soviet Union at inflated prices disappeared. Most of its production now goes to China, but production is declining as other industries such as resources/mining are growing.

The industries were first at queen and John or bay and front too, should they all stay?

Well perhaps in 100 years, all those condos will be gone to, replaced by something else (perhaps yet to be invested)

I've always rather liked the Redpath Refinery and its reminder of Toronto harbour's industrial past. I see no reason why it should have to relocate. It is neither smelly nor disgusting unless one considers honest hard work to be smelly and disgusting.

Last year in Havana, I met a man who had worked a few years ago on one of the sugar boats that supplied Redpath. He was quite dazzled by Toronto.

That's odd because Cuba doesn't ship sugar here.

Back