News   Apr 26, 2024
 227     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 462     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.4K     4 

Density Creep

First world problems.

"If this was here when we bought the house I wouldn't have bought the house. It would be a dealbreaker."

“I don’t look out the window anymore. It’s heartbreaking. It’s ugly.”

Screen shot 2015-06-25 at 3.33.12 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-06-25 at 3.33.12 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-06-25 at 3.33.12 PM.png
    1,016.5 KB · Views: 695
Saw that earlier today. Somehow the one on their lawn is devastating, but the one across the road with transformers and everything else - which is still in their view - is perfectly OK. Either way, it ain't that great a view - with or without the pole.
From the comments I saw they were being mocked plentily for this.

The couple need more hobbies.....lots more hobbies if that's so devastating to them.

I happen to have a pole in front of my house as well, but it's not a big deal. If the owners are so offended by the pole they should just plant a big tree to hide it. They say the pole will kill their property value, but a nice tree would do the opposite.

Screen shot 2015-06-25 at 4.38.24 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-06-25 at 4.38.24 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-06-25 at 4.38.24 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 639
Last edited:
How is that pole on public property? Don't the homeowners own up to the sidewalk? Where exactly does this public portion of their property begin? I should camp on the edge of their lawn and when they ask what I'm doing say: What? This is public property!

As for the tree that was cut down; I wonder if that was done by Toronto Hydro, in order to accommodate this pole? I wouldn't be surprised. I've seen them mangle gorgeous trees limbs that were abutting streetlights.

The worst are those boulevard trees that are hollow in the center, as they've grown up and around overhead wires. Looks utterly ridiculous.

How is that pole on public property? Don't the homeowners own up to the sidewalk? Where exactly does this public portion of their property begin? I should camp on the edge of their lawn and when they ask what I'm doing say: What? This is public property!
The property line doesn't usually go right up to the sidewalk. It varies, but it's typically a couple feet back from the sidewalk.

As for the tree that was cut down; I wonder if that was done by Toronto Hydro, in order to accommodate this pole? I wouldn't be surprised. I've seen them mangle gorgeous trees limbs that were abutting streetlights.

The loss of the tree was not mentioned at all in the CityNews video or article, so I don't think it's related to the pole.

The property line doesn't usually go right up to the sidewalk. It varies, but it's typically a couple feet back from the sidewalk.

That tree that was cut down likely had been a city-owned tree that is in the care (pruning or removal and replacement) of the city. If the tree was fully on the property owners' property, the property owner would have had to pay someone to prune or cut it down. One should check with the city (311) to see if your tree is city owned or not. If city owned then the city will be pruning it. If the tree is owned by the property owner, the property owner has to pay to prune it.

If you request the city to plant a free tree, it would be on city owned property only. See link.

Last edited:

The worst are those boulevard trees that are hollow in the center, as they've grown up and around overhead wires. Looks utterly ridiculous.

If you go to the City's mapping web site: http://map.toronto.ca/maps/map.jsp?app=TorontoMaps_v2 , turn on the aerial background and zoom way into you home - the pink lines are the property lines. Not guaranteed to be 100% accurate, but most of the time it is very accurate.

More Midtown NIMBYism:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/05/25/midtowners-battle-the-rise-of-the-midrise.html

So are you a density creep? I think I am one.

AoD

The Toronto City Planning department has recommended refusal of the townhouse development application on Keewatin and it was adopted last month. This will be heading to the OMB with no set date as of yet.

North York Community Council to oppose a townhouse development proposal near Yonge and Eglinton
Link: http://www.postcity.com/Eat-Shop-Do...development-proposal-near-Yonge-and-Eglinton/

Back