News   Apr 24, 2024
 116     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 593     0 

Density Creep

Funny thing is, isn't the argument *for* monster homes a bit of a "raising land values" one, because they supposedly make "old and tired" neighbourhoods spiffy and up-to-date and, hence, "desirable"?

"They won't go down, they'll go up significantly."

I think this is exactly the problem rbt. Land values will become destructively high, not lower.

Also, I want to defend the NIMBY sentiment. Why would someone NOT defend their special interest? It is not insane to complain, it is insane not to complain. That doesn't mean the city or greater society should accept the complaint.

Then is the issue the possibility that new, denser development would cause her house's assessed value to rise and make the property taxes unaffordable?

I don't see how a bunch of 'downmarket' $500K townhouses for the hoi polloi is going to make that much of a difference. Their assessed values went up quite a bit in the past decade and yet they stayed put.

http://mytowncrier.ca/news/a-call-for-reinforcements-to-save-keewatins-wall/

Aside from the unflattering 'embattled' metaphor for their situation, they have no sense of how their message is being received and as their terrible-looking website might suggest, they probably have no idea that anyone could look them up on canada411.ca, run their addresses on the property tax database at City Hall and see what's really going on with their property values.

There are stories about seniors living in their shabby houses for decades and not selling. After their deaths, the estate sells those properties for millions, definitely more that the actual "property values".

Looks like they're in damage control now. I'll bet Marcia Visser, the group spokesperson, is regretting she had Lisa Goodwin publicly make that comment about putting in homes that are "only" $500,000. Sure as one would expect, media made sure to include that one comment in their article, which is what most of the social media backlash is based on.

Oh look, a rebuttal (from the Star):

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...hit-back-at-developers-for-bending-rules.html

Har har, she even mentioned the value of the property - not just her own, but the projected value of the new development. I am sure she was possessed at the time she made the comments.

AoD

Oh, now it's about 'neighbourhood values of safety and community' ... which will presumably be negatively affected by the people moving into the new units ... that are 'only' $500K?

She has a point about developers bending the rules, but she should know that is par for the course throughout the city. Projects go through approval processes - with neighbourhood input - and concessions are extracted from developers for exceeding the guidelines.

Oh, now it's about 'neighbourhood values of safety and community' ... which will presumably be negatively affected by the people moving into the new units ... that are 'only' $500K?

She has a point about developers bending the rules, but she should know that is par for the course throughout the city. Projects go through approval processes - with neighbourhood input - and concessions are extracted from developers for exceeding the guidelines.

Sure they are bending the rules - some of the rules protecting single detached housing (i.e. the sacred cow) is ridiculous precisely because of how the types of fears/prejudices expressed by said group express itself through the councillors and political system. I am glad they are doing the issue such service by shining light on how these folks truly think.

AoD

There are no rules protecting single detached housing per se. The Neighbourhoods designation in the Official Plan requires new development to be in keeping with the built form of the area, so what you can build depends on what's already there. In the case of this section of Keewatin, it's already very mixed with semis and apartments as well as detached houses.

Zoning is just a tool to implement the Official Plan. A rezoning is easy to get as long as it conforms to OP policies and isn't bending the rules. The rules (policy) are in the OP, not the Zoning By-law.

Last edited:
So are you a density creep? I think I am one.

AoD
I have to admit one of the appeals of Cabbagetown to me is the control over redevelopment, tear downs, etc. I don't mind being surrounded by condos, but like that they're on the other side of Gerrard and Parliament streets.

So, while I fully see that these women are blocking progress, it would be dishonest of me not to admit that I can appreciate their POV.

She got on board with Ford in his executive at the beginning and stayed there until he kicked her off in 2013.

I don't consider anyone involved with Rob Ford at that level "better" than anything. Anyone with the slightest sense of judgement and knowledge of his behaviour on Council before 2010 doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Sure they are bending the rules - some of the rules protecting single detached housing (i.e. the sacred cow) is ridiculous precisely because of how the types of fears/prejudices expressed by said group express itself through the councillors and political system. I am glad they are doing the issue such service by shining light on how these folks truly think.

AoD

Lost of irritating zoning variances have been allowed in my neighbourhood despite the lack of detached housing — extra height allowances, reduced setbacks, bar patios with tiny setbacks from peoples' yards etc. I don't sympathsize much with the Density Creep crowd's opposition to the new townhouses, but they do have a point about enforcing the standards set out in the OP. The city doesn't do that consistently, IMO, which is one of the reasons the OMB has reputation for running roughshod over the the local planning process. If the city is going to establish rules, it should follow them.

Back