News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 445     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

While there are better solutions like you have proposed, it doesn't mean they have even the slightest chance of occurring. This will be a subway extension, alignment is still to be determined, but that is what it will be so I think we can change the name.
I agree. The province and the feds have doubled down on a subway here. Council would need 30 votes just to reopen the issue, and I don't see that happening, in this Council or the next one.

Liberals as well as the Conservatives support the subway, and at this point if a new council were to fiddle with the plans again the province would probably step in. As I said, there is no political interest in cancellation or a changing the plans.

If there is public support to save money then plans will change. Plans have been far more advanced (construction underway) that have been cancelled due to changing tides in public support and political priorities. This is an LRT plan up until the point the development of a subway plan is advanced as far as the LRT one. There were three levels of governments involved in the Sheppard LRT. Is there an EA underway or is this subway extension now a 2020 start?

by that logic the eglinton LRT thread should be called "eglington corridor transpit upgrade", the LRT is dead for all realistic reasoning at this point, so the thread title should be changed. Is it really that difficult to understand?

by that logic the eglinton LRT thread should be called "eglington corridor transpit upgrade", the LRT is dead for all realistic reasoning at this point, so the thread title should be changed. Is it really that difficult to understand?

I'm missing something. I have seen engineering drawings for LRT stations for Eglinton and see a tunnel boring machine. Have you seen something similar for the Scarborough extension? For Scarborough I have seen detailed drawings for LRT stations and an extention to Sheppard West near Centennial College, Murray standing in front of an undetailed map following the SRT route ending at Scarborough Centre and another supporting map suggesting it was a Phase 1 for a subway all the way to Malvern, and a crackpot mayor and shifty TTC chair standing in front of a completely different map. I agree a subway is the more likely outcome at this point but absolutely nothing has been signed that I know of other than the agreement to build the LRT which is on hold.

The LRT is dead, anybody who thinks other wise is burying their head in the sand.

When the Eglinton LRT opens and the Scarborough extension hasn't started I am going to guess that there may be different feelings on priorities. Metrolinx was thinking of advancing the Sheppard LRT due to the delays forseen in switching to subway on the SRT replacement. Also when Eglinton LRT opens the Yonge will be even further overloaded.

Scarborough is supposed to start in 2018.. it will be 2 years into construction by the time the ECLRT opens. the Sheppard LRT will probably open in 2018 or 2019 now. EA will start very, very shortly.

again, what is your reasoning behind saying it won't be started by 2020? everything is signalling a 2018 start. The reason the SELRT and FWLRT might be advanced is that the provincial funding for the Scarborough RT replacement will start flowing in 2015, though it won't be needed until 2017/2018, when the SELRT and FWLRT money will start to flow, so Metrolinx is considering switching up the fundings placement, allowing for the Scarborough RT replacement money to pay for the LRTs and the LRT money to pay for the Subway.

once again, show me some reasoning for the subway to be cancelled. I don't delude myself claiming that a route has been set, but it will be a subway, so I feel a title change is appropriate. is it that difficult? Adjei has it right, there is almost a 0% chance of the LRT being revived, so I say that the title should be changed to reflect the fact that a subway will be built here. why does this have to be so controversial... its a friggen name change. If the almost 0% chance of reverting to LRT does somehow occur (Hint: it won't) the title can always change again.

Last edited:
One thing I always wanted to ask is how the connection between the Sheppard LRT and subway at Sheppard and McCowan would happen if the LRT was to open way before the subway? It better be not be a surface connection and should be underground like at Finch West station. This will help the public's perception of LRT to be more positive. Could they build the connection later on even with the LRT running?

^ I was thinking of that as well. I wonder if Metrolinx will only build the LRT to just before the subway to allow for it to be built later, or if the subway station will be partially constructed at first. Maybe build the rough in for the LRT, and not have the LRT stop until the subway opens? Build an underground LRT station first, and later have the subway open just south of it.. who knows, that is something that the planners and engineers have to figure out. I hope it is underground as well, but the orignal LRT transfer point was to be on the surface. (though it would have had many fewer transfers)

One thing I always wanted to ask is how the connection between the Sheppard LRT and subway at Sheppard and McCowan would happen if the LRT was to open way before the subway? It better be not be a surface connection and should be underground like at Finch West station. This will help the public's perception of LRT to be more positive. Could they build the connection later on even with the LRT running?

I would guess (but yes, this is only a guess) that the TTC/Metrolinx would fast-track the design of Sheppard-McCowan Station to allow for the underground LRT station to be built, with the subway platform part of the station being roughed in. Or they could modularize the station design, so that they can build the LRT portion of it now, and then include a knock-out wall that could connect the concourse level to the subway concourse level when the subway gets built.

Ottawa recently did something similar with Baseline Station at Algonquin College. Algonquin wanted to use the land that the old Baseline Station was sitting on for a new building, so OC Transpo built a "temporary" station just slightly further west of the former station. They then knocked the old station down, and built the new Algonquin building with an LRT/BRT transfer station underneath. Only thing is, the LRT isn't slated to be extended to Baseline until around 2023 (possibly 2020 if all goes really well), so the station is sitting unused now, with the temporary station still holding the load.

So yes, my guess is that they would do preliminary design on the whole station, design it with modularity in mind, and only do detailed design on and build the LRT module right now.

I had a brief glance about Kennedy's Subway Station and drivers loosing access to the Kennedy parking lot for months as the Eglinton LRT starts construction in the Scarborough Mirror. Wouldn't it be perfect timing to start tunneling so that the subway can go above ground?

I would guess (but yes, this is only a guess) that the TTC/Metrolinx would fast-track the design of Sheppard-McCowan Station to allow for the underground LRT station to be built, with the subway platform part of the station being roughed in.

I think we can learn from Don Mills and Eglinton. Is the DRL subway station being roughed in as part of the Eglinton LRT construction?

I think we can learn from Don Mills and Eglinton. Is the DRL subway station being roughed in as part of the Eglinton LRT construction?

No, but they've left space for a future station in the design. Wouldn't really make sense to spend money roughing in a station when the subway line hasn't even been planned yet.

Unbelievable. A few months ago the subway supporters said it would only cost 500 million more than the lrt, and that we can always go back to the original plan if extra funding didn't materialize. No harm done right? Instead we are stuck with a subway plan that will cost us well over a billion dollars, thanks to Glen De Baeremaeker and Karen Stintz's mayoral ambitions. And this is just the beginning of things to come.

Back