News   May 10, 2024
 62     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 553     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 841     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

If a station cannot be added in the near future, then there should be a rough-in, just like when the Yonge Line was extended to Finch that had a rough-in for what would later be North York Centre station.

If the tunnel is constructed by TBM, then adding a station in later would be very difficult since the tunnel would have to be dismantled where the station is added in, so the line could be shut down for a few months, most of the station structure would need to be built with the line for it to be added in later,

^ I'm not sure why you would believe this. With cut and cover it seems like it would be relatively easy to remove most material down to the tunnel and then at night remove material directly over and next to the tunnel and add reinforcement on the tunnel until the station is progressed enough where the tunnel could be cut away. The biggest challenge would be that the curtain wall directly over the tunnel would not be able to go as deep as the other parts slowing excavation while the wall is sealed and reinforced below the curtain wall and above the tunnel when excavation reached that point. Not to optimal order of building curtain walls first but I don't think it would be seen as incredibly complicated.

Last edited:
There was no long term plan for a heavy rail rapid transit line extension to Scarborough Town Centre along the Bloor line.

The last time there was a serious debate over subway expansion was back in 1994 when Metro could only approve two out of four rapid transit expansion projects. Even the Network 2011 plans were torn up in the 1980s along with what would have been a GTA wide rapid transit system known as GO ALRT. Nobody wants heavy tax increases and deeper deficits to pay for more subways. Back in 2000 the city even got a portion of light rail built linking Queens Quay from Spadina to Bathurst with no senior government funding with little work taken on any costly EA planning, which shows how easy and affordable it can be to expand streetcar rights of way and light rail. Surface level light rail is easy and cheap to execute and would not be hampered by weather since it would draw power from an overhead wire catenary and not a ground level power rail or a track level magnetic reaction rail like the existing SRT ICTS trains.

More of the suburbs becoming grand avenues would bring more downtown living to more areas. Living downtown I see many people visiting the inner city from the suburbs to go shopping and night clubbing. I am sure many Scarberians would rather shop at Wal Mart and No Frills than Loblaws and Sears, so why are we not pushing harder for more affordable rapid deployment transit solutions across the megacity and other parts of Ontario. Its not like the federal government pledged millions for better bus service in Scarborough, but they will pledge millions for some showy Subway expansion project. More condos are getting built on St. Clair now that the LRT style improvements have been made there. We have settled on the Bombardier Flexity LRV as the vehicle that will carry on our Streetcar tradition downtown and bring light rail to suburban Metro and other Ontario cities. It this low floor LRV design of the Flexity that is also closely also mimicked by the Alstom Citadis and the Siemens Combino of the bogey bridge design should we ever choose to look to other car builders in the future should we opt for open bidding. The mayor and others may try to spread lies about Transit City but the reality remains the same, let us build our affordable, urban friendly transit improvements that can be delivered far sooner and stop being short sighted and impulsive on our plans. And to anyone who thinks that a subway lasts a hundred years would know, even now the North Yonge subway extension completed in 1973/1974 is in danger of tunnel collapse, which is why there is such an aggressive and expensive effort underway to replace the tunnel liners now, partly exacerbated by the then tricky and tedious tunneling that had to be done originally to tunnel under the Don River, which is why there was a year delay in completing the north Yonge extension back in 1973/74.

Many low income people in Scarborough would still be in infrequently served bus routes with over crowded buses. Cutting the light rail plans means less transit expansion mileage in places like Scarborough. We already filled in the Eglinton West subway tunnel back in 1995 and Metro at the time nearly did not get the Sheppard subway built back in the mid-late 1990s. WIth the light rail plans for Transit City and other light rail plans in the 905 and beyond like in Mississauga, Kitchener/Cambirdge/Waterloo, Ottawa and Hamilton riding on standard light rail design, the possibility for a much wider web of a light rail network covering the entire 416/905 and beyond is there. Of course it was Mayor David Miller that started the momentum to get transit building off the ground back in 2007 with the original Transit City announcement and the current mayor that is trying to tear up the plans now. We have to fight hard for the future welfare of this city and city building across the GTA and beyond. Fight hard we must, and we have to fight to win!

Last edited:
Was there a rough in, or was it just that they deliberately left a flat portion of track that could be used for a future station. I think Willowdale on the Sheppard line is the same thing - no actual structure, just a level portion of track.

Just a portion of track suitable for a station.

^ I'm not sure why you would believe this. With cut and cover it seems like it would be relatively easy to remove most material down to the tunnel and then at night remove material directly over and next to the tunnel and add reinforcement on the tunnel until the station is progressed enough where the tunnel could be cut away. The biggest challenge would be that the curtain wall directly over the tunnel would not be able to go as deep as the other parts slowing excavation while the wall is sealed and reinforced below the curtain wall and above the tunnel when excavation reached that point. Not to optimal order of building curtain walls first but I don't think it would be seen as incredibly complicated.

That's what Metrolinx said would have to be done if they were to add in an underground Leslie station on the Eglinton line post construction if it were to be built underground at that location, TBM tunnels are not one solid mass of concrete that would allow for part of it to be removed as was done with the North York Centre station. I doubt it could be easy to remove only part of a TBM tunnel segment,

it would be, TBM tunnel liners are interlocking precast concrete blocks. It wouldn't be too difficult to simply rip out the liner, though you may run into problems with the liner below the tracks.

It was sortof done for Canada Line through Vancouver City Centre Station. The TBM ran through the pit, placed the tunnel, and the tunnel was demolished to build the station. i.e. the TBM needed the tube to "push off of".
It could probably be done in a controlled manner if there are tracks in the tunnel.

Pics here:

http://canadalinephotos.blogspot.ca/2007/03/2007-03-26-vancouver-city-centre.html

KICX4426.jpg

http://canadalinephotos.blogspot.ca/2007/05/2007-05-08.html

KICX6015.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure how you can say it is dead unless you are willing to admit nothing is alive. There is a detailed study of the LRT station designs done, and nothing other than vaugue lines on a map for the subway. Let there be a few public EA sessions before we think things are on different rails.

^with complete funding secured and no will from any significant political group to change it, I believe it is safe to say this will be a subway.

Could someone update the title to "Scarborough Subway Extension"? I think its safe to say the LRT is dead..
The province has a signed agreement with the City to build LRT, and has shown hesitancy in modifying the agreement. It's unlikely by the time they finish the EA and are able to make a decision, that Crackmayor Ford, service-cutting Stintz, and the Ontario Liberals will all still be in power. Who knows what the future holds.

I doubt that Tories, if they replace Liberals provincially, will cancel Scarborough Subway or revert to LRT. Ditto for the next City Council.

However, title "Scarborough RT Replacement and Extension" is not inconsistent with the subway. It does replace Scarborough RT, and it is going to be extended to Sheppard. No need to rename the thread.

The province has a signed agreement with the City to build LRT, and has shown hesitancy in modifying the agreement. It's unlikely by the time they finish the EA and are able to make a decision, that Crackmayor Ford, service-cutting Stintz, and the Ontario Liberals will all still be in power. Who knows what the future holds.

Liberals as well as the Conservatives support the subway, and at this point if a new council were to fiddle with the plans again the province would probably step in. As I said, there is no political interest in cancellation or a changing the plans.

Liberals as well as the Conservatives support the subway, and at this point if a new council were to fiddle with the plans again the province would probably step in. As I said, there is no political interest in cancellation or a changing the plans.

If a better plan came along, any of the parties could easily change the plans, but I think there is no going back to the old LRT plan with a forced transfer at Kennedy.

They could propose to extend the Eglinton Subway (i.e. an elevated Eglinton rapid transit line) along the SRT corridor to the STC and Malvern - say $600M extra. Also, they could extend the B-D subway using cut-and-cover to Kingston Road - say $300M x 4.5km = $1.4B.

If they want a station at Brimley, some type of complex alignment shift to get the subway from McCowan to STC, an underground LRT station at Sheppard, then the cost estimate could quickly escalate. Then this new plan would be even less expensive and greatly improved solution compared to the current plan.

But yeah, I agree that it is a longshot because it will probably be too late to change when the election (both provincial and city) actually comes.

While there are better solutions like you have proposed, it doesn't mean they have even the slightest chance of occuring. This will be a subway extension, alignment is still to be determined, but that is what it will be so I think we can change the name.

Back