News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 386     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 969     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Wait, there's more -- only 19 days until the feds give us an official "no!" (or surprise us all and fund this).

Though I'm betting the final decision gets delayed indefinitely.

The federal Transportation Minister still hasn't taken an hour to meet officially with Murry or Ford. Their answer is very clear; Ford has zero pull with the conservatives, and Murry wasn't expected to have any.

Last edited:
According to Stinz on the radio today, they are talking to the feds but they are not sure which plan to put money towards? Hmmmmm should we believe this flip-flopper?

According to Stinz on the radio today, they are talking to the feds but they are not sure which plan to put money towards? Hmmmmm should we believe this flip-flopper?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-chair-amid-clashing-agendas/article14241178/

Yeah our TTC Chair thinks this is not a subway, only a 2 stop to STC.. as suppose to her 3 stop to... Sheppard and McCowan? Not sure why they like their McCowan route anyways really.. $1.4 billion probably won't even be enough to run a subway underground to STC. I personally like the current RT subway route more, especially if we do get stops at Centennial College and Markham Rd and Sheppard (which needs a subway way more than McCowan and Sheppard). Stop playing games Karen.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-chair-amid-clashing-agendas/article14241178/

Yeah our TTC Chair thinks this is not a subway, only a 2 stop to STC.. as suppose to her 3 stop to... Sheppard and McCowan? Not sure why they like their McCowan route anyways really.. $1.4 billion probably won't even be enough to run a subway underground to STC. I personally like the current RT subway route more, especially if we do get stops at Centennial College and Markham Rd and Sheppard (which needs a subway way more than McCowan and Sheppard). Stop playing games Karen.

She even had the audacity to say only underground is a subway. This is heading to Rob Ford territory of being clueless and this is someone we have chairing the TTC? What a joke.

Well then, clearly the section of the lines north of Bloor to Davisville isn't subway...nor Dundas West to Kipling, Eglinton West to Wilson, etc.

rbt:

And for those waiting for the Feds to deliver - recall the fiasco over the Spadina line extension and how it took the Feds to come on board and actually start work on the line.

AoD

Last edited:
Don't fool yourselves. Stintz knows exactly what a subway is. But this has never been a debate over transit technology. It's a debate over the word subway. That's a word that wins elections and Stintz would like very much to deny it to her opponents and hoard it for herself.

The shameful thing here is not her ignorance, it's her willingness to feign ignorance and the bend the truth for political ends. And in that respect she's no different than the Mayor or Minister Murray or Councillor De Baeremaeker or anyone else.

Don't fool yourselves. Stintz knows exactly what a subway is. But this has never been a debate over transit technology. It's a debate over the word subway. That's a word that wins elections and Stintz would like very much to deny it to her opponents and hoard it for herself.

The shameful thing here is not her ignorance, it's her willingness to feign ignorance and the bend the truth for political ends. And in that respect she's no different than the Mayor or Minister Murray or Councillor De Baeremaeker or anyone else.

Stintz is an active PC member and her political future is with the PC party. City Council is largely a training ground for the provincial/federal level.

As such, she's in a tricky spot to work with the Liberals while simultaneously trying to make them look bad with the hopes of getting a cabinet seat next to Holyday.

Last edited:
Of course Toronto could save itself a very cool billion and have one long Metro line for Eglinton to STC/Sheppard if they just upgraded the short turn on the RT to handle the MK111 100 meter Innovia SkyTrain cars. Take the cool billion saved and use it to finish elevated/tunnel the remaining Eglinton DM to Kennedy portion. One long Eg/Scar line with no transfer, little delay on reconstruction on the current RT, cheaper to run due to automation, and no new massive garage/maintenance centre to build, just expand.

The easiest, cheapest to build, and cheapest to run option seems to be the only one Toronto refuses to entertain.

In my opinion any of the proposals for the SRT are perfectly acceptable. I know, the city's subway is crazy expensive considering there's already a right of way, and Murray's subway is too short, and the LRT replacement seems to be by far the most bang for the buck. But really they all have pros and cons and seem to do a reasonable job of replacing the SRT.

The really stupid thing about this mess is the years of flip flopping, and the blame for this lies primarily with Karen Stintz and secondarily with council. Ford is ill-informed and has his priorities wrong but at least has been consistent. And the province has been pretty consistent in making a sincere effort to follow council's instructions.

If you feel strongly about this, as I do, let your councillor, as well as Stintz, know that they need to get out of the way and let transit planning follow its natural course. I believe that there are enough people who realize that the whole situation is a fiasco that it may damage Stintz's political career. And it should.

Maybe Stinz should just cut her losses and go back to the MOU that Ford signed with the Province. Bring back the merged Scarborough-Eglinton Crosstown. It's a win win...

-100% grade separated (35 minutes from Sheppard East to Mt.Dennis
-SRT gets LRV vehicule
-The SRT keeps it's original route
-Fully funded

As For Sheppard and Finch, they aren't going to start building the lines before 2015-2017 anyways. Let both provincial and city next elections show us what the next public transit priorities will be for the next decade

Sheppard still have 330 Millions in the bank. Subway, LRT? Far from being a priority. Metrolinx did say that Sheppard wouldn't qualify for subways until at least 2031 anyways. After the Eglinton-Scarborough project, the focus should be redirected where it should always have been for the past decade...the DRL

While we work hard to have senior government fund the DRL as the next project, Finch and Sheppard should have BRT in the meantime and the choice of technology can be determined at a later time. An express branch to the Finch bus with reserved lanes would drastically improve the service in the meantime along with the new Articulated buses the TTC are buying.

Too bad that humans will always be humans since her pride will never let her see the light

Last edited:
Personally I don't see the subway being extended to STC even in the proposed 2 station configuration as a loss - most of the stations along the existing SRT have rather low ridership anyways, and a properly configured regional system using STC as a hub should still be effective. The only catches of this alignment to me is the increased pressure on Y+B and operational reliability of the above ground portions. This is good enough to be built IMO - going back and revisiting this decision yet again (like how many times it would have been) is just plain ridiculous at this point.

AoD

Personally I don't see the subway being extended to STC even in the proposed 2 station configuration as a loss - most of the stations along the existing SRT have rather low ridership anyways, and a properly configured regional system using STC as a hub should still be effective. The only catches of this alignment to me is the increased pressure on Y+B and operational reliability of the above ground portions. This is good enough to be built IMO - going back and revisiting this decision yet again (like how many times it would have been) is just plain ridiculous at this point.

AoD

ridiculous how? the MOU would allow the SRT reconstruction to start "yesterday" while this subway option requires Metrolinx and the TTC to go back to the drawing boards.

Solid Snake:

It's not technical - it's political unbelievability - the longer you open up this process for mode changes, you are basically announcing it as open season for endless debate. Not to mention, your plan will require messing with yet another component of yet another line as well.

AoD

AoD

If someone from Malvern, Centennial College, STC, (or Lawrence East) wants to get downtown, they will either;
  • take Bus to LRT to BD to YUS, or
  • take Bus to BD to YUS.
There is no difference between the two options in how much pressure there is on Y/B.

As I have said before, if the SRT was connected to the SRT, then those same passengers could take;
  • take Bus to LRT to BD to YUS, or
  • take Bus to LRT to YUS.
Here there is the chance to relieve pressure on Y/B. And I do not think the pressure at Yonge/Eglinton would exceed that at Y/B, the Y/B dwell time would still govern for the entire YUS line.

And if you add a DRL to the above scenarios, the connected SRT/ECLRT would still show twice the ability to relieve pressure on Y/B - and it would provide better network connectivity and redundancy.

Back