News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 616     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I've never understood what the point of this statistic is. If very few people are taking transit from Scarborough to the rest of the city, and a lot of people are driving from Scarborough to the rest of the city, the logical deduction is that public transit within Scarborough is just fine (in other words, the Eglinton East LRT is low-priority), and what needs to be improved is the area's connection to the rest of Toronto.

Anyways, Scarborough is one quarter of Toronto's area. I think that you'd get a similar 70% figure for any given quarter of Toronto. A lot of people live close to where they work, a lot of students take short transit trips, and a lot of people use the TTC to run errands in their neighbourhood.

People will be a lot less likely to take it if it's out of the way and invisible from the main street. The LRT itself might be a bit faster, but the time that a lot of passengers will spend walking 15 minutes away from Finch completely negates that benefit.

I read the study, although it was several years ago. If I recall, the study looked at all trips, not just trips by transit. The results were similar to the 70% you quoted, most trips are made within Scarborough. Of interest, a significant number of Scarborough residents make their way north to commute to work in Markham and Richmond Hill. It then focused in on transit trips. Downtown was the ultimate destination for something like 13% of commuters.

While it could be a chicken and egg thing - no transit therefore no commuters - that keeps downtown commuters from moving to Scarborough, it is likely much more complex. Bottom line, the $3B, one-stop SSE is a very expensive experiment to test this theory. Even worse, it takes funds from other projects that would knowingly improve transit for far more transit users in Scarborough.

Hang on. That's the document that suspended work on the Sheppard East LRT, notes that "the future of the Sheppard East LRT is uncertain" and in the meantime recommended the "evaluation of various short-term options for rapid transit service along the Sheppard Avenue East corridor, east of Don Mills Station and connecting to Scarborough Centre"

That's not LRT to Scarborough Centre. Look at the legend, it only says Rapid Transit. That's surely an express bus! Presumably enhanced 190 service integrated with a new rocket service along Sheppard and south on Morningside to UTS.

Hang on. That's the document that suspended work on the Sheppard East LRT, notes that "the future of the Sheppard East LRT is uncertain" and in the meantime recommended the "evaluation of various short-term options for rapid transit service along the Sheppard Avenue East corridor, east of Don Mills Station and connecting to Scarborough Centre"

That's not LRT to Scarborough Centre. Look at the legend, it only says Rapid Transit. That's surely an express bus! Presumably enhanced 190 service integrated with a new rocket service along Sheppard and south on Morningside to UTS.

A Sheppard East Rocket bus from Don Mills Station to UTSC would be nice, but how will it go to STC in between? Go down Midland (or Brimley), go up McCowan, go down Morningside? It might just be better to have 190 that goes Don Mills to STC and 190A that goes Don Mills to UTSC, without going to STC.

For the next TTC meeting on September 5, 2017, see link, there is a Request to Permit Durham Region Transit Access to Scarborough Centre Station, see link.

Conclusion
While the bus terminal at Scarborough Centre Station is currently too small and overcrowded to permit use by DRT, the expanded bus terminal, as part of the Line 2 Bloor-Danforth subway extension project, will support use by DRT. In the interim, Durham Regional Transit can consult with City of Toronto Transportation Services Division, regarding the extension of its service to operate via an on street loop in the vicinity of the Scarborough Town Centre. Several active planning studies by Metrolinx, the City of Toronto, the TTC, and Durham Region are also examining options to improve and expand cross boundary transit on the Toronto-Durham border

A Sheppard East Rocket bus from Don Mills Station to UTSC would be nice, but how will it go to STC in between? Go down Midland (or Brimley), go up McCowan, go down Morningside? It might just be better to have 190 that goes Don Mills to STC and 190A that goes Don Mills to UTSC, without going to STC.

That's probably what they'd do, just like they're currently doing on Finch.

That's probably what they'd do, just like they're currently doing on Finch.
I feel like the 190 route shouldn't go to all 3 destinations, as people who want to get from STC to UTSC can just take the DRT PULSE bus, which may be faster depending on which type of BRT they decide on.

The Kirby and Lawrence East Stations for GO or SmartTrack are now a MAYBE. See link. Think the Lawrence East will eventually stay as a GO or SmartTrack Station, but not as a Line 2 extension station.

This nonsense was basically put of a golden tee for Patrick Brown. This could really put a black eye into on Smartrack for public display if Ford runs for Mayors as well. Not a good look for both Tory and Del Duca here, moreso Del Duca

The Kirby and Lawrence East Stations for GO or SmartTrack are now a MAYBE. See link. Think the Lawrence East will eventually stay as a GO or SmartTrack Station, but not as a Line 2 extension station.

I'd expect Kirby to be cancelled, but not Lawrence East. The latter is too tightly coupled to the SSE.

I'd expect Kirby to be cancelled, but not Lawrence East. The latter is too tightly coupled to the SSE.

Smarttrack has a bit of a case for the bump in priority. But it could still get pounded in the election for the optics of collusion and the fact Smartrack is a fraction of what it was sold make It an easy target. Kirby has little justification whatsoever given the evidence, but Vaughan's success has been built off of Political strong arming and influence so they had no reason not to keep up the same act. The investigation alone is going to be highlighted heavily in the Provincial election

Last edited:
Kirby has little justification whatsoever given the evidence

Since when was evidence-based transit planning something you have ever demanded on this messageboard? If the SSE is God's gift to mankind and the best invention since sliced bread, then why can't similarly politically-driven transit projects be accepted and applauded by you?

Just think of all those residents nearby Kirby that deserve higher order transit service. And there must not be any transfers to any other transit lines. How dare you deny them that? Or are you anti-Kirby? Are you some kind of Scarborough Elite? And what about the media--they have an agenda against Kirby. It's all politics against Kirby.

I will take my tongue out of my cheek now.

Last edited:
Listen @sixrings You are not filtered when im not logged in and I see you are still getting personal with me and continuing to Troll the conversation into a de-rail

Whether its evidence (once again in Vaughan) of possible poltical transit collusion, or democratic evidence that shows overwhelming support for a non transfer plan within Scarborough, or evidence that the current subway costs are escalating due to geological conditions, etc..., we all make our own decisions. You are entitled to yours, and you can share without insulting others personally just because you don't agree with the opinion. The one stop subway is pretty bad and Ive continually been very critical of it but yet you want to paint it as my favorite plan. Again you clearly don't read and just make things up. Its just my preference given the "2" plans being debated when you look at the fact we would need to go backwards for any other plan, and the opposition only want to put in the old "evidence" based (their coined poltical term) transfers, than it is what is and just my opinion.

And after your previous de-rail falsely accusing me of calling others "Latte sippers", "Pinkos" and other nonsense you choose to make up for whatever reason, you now have the nerve to throw more stones and term me "Scarborough Elite" just because you can get away with this crap here. Im guessing you might even actually agree with my previous post but just couldn't hold your self back from attacking me....again. and providing a loose comparison between two very different plans, serving very different purposes, and which have very different history's. Id love to debate but you are incapable without making things up, or just being completely disrespectful. Ive already asked you to stop being a bully, falsely accusing me of things, or painting me as someone im not and I also asked you to please filter my username as well. Get over me and filter me please.

Last edited:

Back