News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 373     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 946     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

That's a bit of a faulty comparison in the case of BD/SRT - it would be like comparing riding RT to subway in a grade segregated route.

AoD

Crosstown will be similar to the current Spadina streetcar. So will a hose of other LRT suggested, including the replacement for the SRT. The curve on the current SRT is to sharp for the Subway or LRT vehicles to use.

Crosstown will be similar to the current Spadina streetcar. So will a hose of other LRT suggested, including the replacement for the SRT. The curve on the current SRT is to sharp for the Subway or LRT vehicles to use.

It isn't too sharp - it is too sharp for subway trains to run at top speed. Have anyone considered modifying the curve? The current BD plan envisions spending 3B - you think this issue is more complex than that? And need I remind you, the turns on both sides of Union, as well as St. George to Museum is of a similar nature. Would you have said no to riding the YUS because of said turns?

AoD

It has always amazed me how the main argument for not upgrading the line to use newer ART/Innovia Stock, is one short curved section that can't dost more than 200 million to absolutely transform, yet somehow building a multi billion dollar extension is seen as logical.

You don't even need to - I am beyond the SRT as LRT debate at this point. You can run subways on the alignment - one of the main arguments put forth against it was that you can't turn at top speed. Okay. You have a rather large capital budget at this point - is rebuilding them out of reach relatively speaking? I mean, that, vs. a 3B+ one stop extension?

(and as mentioned previously, we have speed limiting turns elsewhere in the system, no one threw the baby out with the bathwater - and it's at mission critical Union FFS)

AoD

Last edited:
TTC has noted that Metrolinx intended to take over the land the SRT is sitting on, rip the SRT tracks out and put in GO train tracks for RER. It's part of the agreement to have the SRT rebuilt funds transfer to TO for the Scarborough subway. There's no going back.

TTC has noted that Metrolinx intended to take over the land the SRT is sitting on, rip the SRT tracks out and put in GO train tracks for RER. It's part of the agreement to have the SRT rebuilt funds transfer to TO for the Scarborough subway. There's no going back.

Of course there isn't. they're just as much involved in making the bed they are going to sleep in.

AoD

Yeah, that's not true. Metrolinx evaluated the feasibility of running a subway extension in the SRT corridor, and determined it to be 100% possible. The SRT corridor/GO corridor coordination is an imagined issue. Most of the area adjacent to those tracks have nothing beside them, and in a few locations a small amount of expropriation will be required.

I think if we have learned anything from Toronto Transit Politics it's that the phrase "there's no going back" is not in the language.

Yeah but at some point you have to move forward even if it is less than ideal - unlike some, I know what my best interests are. Having said that, I am insistent those who make the decisions wear them and the rationale behind them.

AoD

As largely an outsider to the Scarborough debate I find it interesting how a line gets built up in York where their is seemingly very little ridership potential, while Scarborough where there is verifiably significant ridership potential hasn't really seen anything high order. I used to not understand because I had always compared the SRT in my mind to the Skytrain but really there is no comparison, the SRT is absolutely brutal.

+1 million

Yet they will keep fighting. Media, Politicians in subway ridings, special interest groups, Pollsters providing skewed polls.... Even when machines are in the ground they will be out with pitchforks trying to save the City from....

...the start of Unity

Last edited:
Yeah, that's not true. Metrolinx evaluated the feasibility of running a subway extension in the SRT corridor, and determined it to be 100% possible. The SRT corridor/GO corridor coordination is an imagined issue. Most of the area adjacent to those tracks have nothing beside them, and in a few locations a small amount of expropriation will be required.
This is something Andy Byford claimed at a board meeting. Evaluated is just a shitshow for the media and EA. TTC and Metrolinx already made up their minds. We're just watching how this would play out.

Yes it's possible but they can't fit 5 sets of tracks in that space plus stations without buying land.

Back