News   May 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 902     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 7.5K     9 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

The only options that I see being worth any merit in Scarb are these, in order of logical sense:

1. Go back to the Scarborough LRT, and remove stations for Smarttrack at Lawrence East and Ellesmere. Smarttrack price goes down, becomes faster option and we build something that has a completed EA and is ready to be built ASAP for the cheapest price. This is the best option.

2. Spur line of Smarttrack to STC.

3. Extend the Sheppard Subway to STC. Connection to Smarttrack via Agincourt GO.

Notice how all options do not have a Scarborough subway...
You're missing the whole point though....Scarborough NEEDS a subway. Everyone in Scarborough thinks so and the politicians think so as well. The people of Scarborough won't feel like they are important enough if they don't get that subway right at their doorstep. Even if it costs $10 billion, they will still think its necessary.

Scarborough subway routes narrowed to three choices

So it looks like SmartTrack may have killed the McCowan alignment for SSE. The only viable alignment, on Bellamy Road, would cost an additional $600 Million over what we have already budgeted.

This is very, very bad news for SSE advocates. On the first SSE vote, Council was two votes shy of killing the project. I know an additional councillor has come out in opposition to the project. It is now very likely that Council will opt to kill the project, rather than impose a $600 Million tax increase, or leave Toronto with an unviable subway route.

Last edited:
It should also be noted that the Bellamy route, which is almost 3 km than the McCowan alignment, would add several minutes onto travel times. This will likely negate any travel time benefits of the elimination of the Kennedy transfer, which is the reason the SSE was proposed in the first place.

Last edited:
McCowan is still on the table, and I still fully expect it to be the selected route. Markham Road isn't even on the table anymore.. Its Midland, McCowan, and Bellamy.

McCowan is still on the table, and I still fully expect it to be the selected route. Markham Road isn't even on the table anymore.. Its Midland, McCowan, and Bellamy.

My bad, I meant to say Bellamy. The Bellamy option still costs $600 Million more.

Of all three options, the Bellamy option is allegedly the only one that is viable (meaning that Midland and McCowan is expected to not have enough usage). We shall see when the report comes out. I expect that Council will endorse the McCowan option, regardless of low ridership, if they do choose to move forward with the SSE.

Last edited:
John Parker ‏@johnparkerex 1h hour ago
If the issue of a Scarborough subway is a closed issue, why is it still an open issue?

Scarborough subway routes narrowed to three choices

So it looks like SmartTrack may have killed the McCowan alignment for SSE. The only viable alignment, on Bellamy Road, would cost an additional $600 Million over what we have already budgeted.

This is very, very bad news for SSE advocates. On the first SSE vote, Council was two votes shy of killing the project. I know an additional councillor has come out in opposition to the project. It is now very likely that Council will opt to kill the project, rather than impose a $600 Million tax increase, or leave Toronto with an unviable subway route.

Council may kill it, but will Queens Park and their scum MPs from Scarborough reinstate the LRT plan? Will construction begin before the election? I'm not optimistic.

I'm not clear how problematic the alleged "cannibalization" would be between Smarttrack and a Scarborough line. How many stops would Smarttrack have in the overlapping area?

The issue is not necessarily the "overlapping area", although the two lines as completed would certainly fight for the small bit of the pie that is ridership in Scarborough headed for downtown....

But rather, the potential goldmine of ridership that is people in Markham headed for downtown. Right now, many of those people either drive or take the GO train in. If the subway is built, many of those will likely rather drive to the subway.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

My bad, I meant to say Bellamy. The Bellamy option still costs $600 Million more.

Of all three options, the Bellamy option is allegedly the only one that is viable (meaning that Midland and McCowan is expected to not have enough usage). We shall see when the report comes out. I expect that Council will endorse the McCowan option, regardless of low ridership, if they do choose to move forward with the SSE.

What about building McCowan, and then using the imaginary extra Bellamy money to build instead a second east branch to the Eglinton Go station. That would provide a useful connection among various lines without slowing down the riders going north. Well, they would only get every second train going north, but there's no way the TTC would run all of the service around a Bellamy hook anyway. And it might be cheaper, and something that could be built (or cancelled) in phases.

The 9 Bellamy bus is the 88th busiest bus or streetcar line in the TTC's network, with only 4100 passengers a day in 2012. Seems like the perfect place to build a subway line.

Anyone else hoping that we elected Olivia Chow or David Soknacki?

But at almost 10 kilometres, the Bellamy route could cost $600 million more than the $3.56 billion budgeted by council when calculating the additional length, using the accepted $300-million-per-kilometre cost. On Wednesday, the TTC cited a lower cost of $180 million per kilometre for the Scarborough subway.

Can someone explain where the TTC is getting the $180 Million/km estimate from? That price is absurdly low compared to out other subway projects.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news...-subway-routes-narrowed-to-three-choices.html

I don't think we've seen this before. The cost of each station on the SSE. Ranges from $160 Million to $500 Million per station.

rQXK0kw.jpg

Yeah, it's a screenshot of an image of a piece of paper :)

@annhui: Tory says he's not planning on endorsing any one of proposed Scarborough subway routes

@reporterdonpeat: "I'm certainly not going to endorse anything" John Tory on preferred Scarborough subway route #TOpoli http://t.co/NmUqibwVmO

Back