News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Keep in mind this is the same Glen Murray that last week tweeted to me that "many" GO lines have all day two way train service. ;)

Technically that is correct. LakeShore East, LakeShore West, and Barrie line (sometimes).

You don't get the position of Minister of Transportation unless you can show that a meh job is a great job. Anybody remember Turnbull, Sterling, and Klees talking about the wonderful job the PC's were doing with GO?

Last edited:
The ICTS would have been better as an Etobicoke RT starting where the first phase would be Kipling to the Airport, and they probably would have kept it as RT.

Yup, it would have. And I'm sure that Mississauga would have probably built an extension of that to Square One by now if the original ICTS line was built at the same time as the SRT.

Does Metrolinx count? Before Murray hijacked them they were fully in support of the LRT plan.

Metrolinx simply endorsed Transit City, it didn't really get an outside opinion as to what would make the best sense - both in terms of route and technology used. I'd like to see MMM Group or another transport consulting agency explore as many options as possible and determine the best one.

Metrolinx simply endorsed Transit City, it didn't really get an outside opinion as to what would make the best sense - both in terms of route and technology used. I'd like to see MMM Group or another transport consulting agency explore as many options as possible and determine the best one.

That would be a very smart move. Could take much of the politics out of the equation.

That would be a very smart move. Could take much of the politics out of the equation.

It is more who hires the engineering consultant and the weightings of the various factors they use - and not who the consultant is. As long as options are compareable, they can make either one look better - as they are directed (or subtley pushed). They can also be told to not consider certains features which would clearly benefit one option over the other.
In this example, Metrolinx could say that an elevated line above Eglinton is not allowed because "it does not meet the goals of the study" and it must be burried or in the median. This would push the combined SRT/ECLRT from the best solution to the worst, because the consultant was not allowed to consider the best. Also, narrowing the focus could also be done so the effect on Yonge-Bloor is or is not considered.

I would almost think it better to eliminate Metrolinx and make it part of the Ministry of Transportation. Now MTO has the ultimate responsibility for Metrolinx and they are always behind the scenes providing direction to satisfy their political needs. They also spend great effor, cost and time to make it appear that Metrolinx is independant, but at the end of the day, they have shown that the Minister of Transportation runs Metrolinx.

I would almost think it better to eliminate Metrolinx and make it part of the Ministry of Transportation. Now MTO has the ultimate responsibility for Metrolinx and they are always behind the scenes providing direction to satisfy their political needs. They also spend great effor, cost and time to make it appear that Metrolinx is independant, but at the end of the day, they have shown that the Minister of Transportation runs Metrolinx.

The whole point of Metrolinx is to eventually make it a self-sustaining entity, divorced from both the Province and the municipalities. Rolling it into MTO not only puts it further under the umbrella of the Province, it muddies the funding commitment breakdown (ie how much of the MTO money is for highways, how much is for Metrolinx? Will revenue tools money be used for highways outside the GTHA? Will general revenues from outside be used for transit projects inside?).

They said the BD is almost at capacity, and this will push it to capacity, so a DRL to Danforth would have to go along with this extension when it opens, or at least shortly afterward.

In the event that the McCowan subway now proceeds I'd like to see something done with the SRT alignment - maybe a BRT. A BRT would allow the GO tracks to be shifted to avoid the need for a tunnel without severing the industrial spurs, and might do so in enough room to allow twin tracking the Stouffville line to Progress.

Well I'll be damned, I didn't expect the feds to come through. I wonder how much they pledged though.

Murray's made himself the biggest fool here. Now we have a prov government and Metrolinx supporting one alignment and the city and feds another all on the assumption that he province was the only one giving any money.

In the event that the McCowan subway now proceeds I'd like to see something done with the SRT alignment - maybe a BRT. A BRT would allow the GO tracks to be shifted to avoid the need for a tunnel without severing the industrial spurs, and might do so in enough room to allow twin tracking the Stouffville line to Progress.

Agreed. I support a Bloor-Danforth subway extension plan over the Scarborough LRT plan so I do hope it happens. That said, a BRT along the SRT alignment and then stretching to Centennial College and finally to Sheppard.

But I do think if the Bloor-Danforth extension happens construction in a few years from now, the Relief Line HAS to begin construction around the same time. That's only fair, though, if Ford gets to remain mayor for the next council term, we all know he'll want to scrap any plans for the Relief Line for a Sheppard Subway extension instead.

Back