News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 434     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Critics peeved over new sidewalk ‘information pillars’

The wayfinding information that these pillars should emphasize is important because it can be very useful for people unfamiliar with an area. It can encourage people to explore a neighbourhood and to get to know the city better. Even if 90% of Torontonians and visitors had smart phones, the maps would still be invaluable resources to ensure that everyone in an unfamiliar area can get around with ease, whether or not they have a premium cellphone. Of course, these pillars should also promote attractions and interesting heritage buildings and architecture in every neighbourhood to present the city as sophisticated, cultured, and full of things to do and places to discover. The pillars should be slightly smaller to take up less sidewalk space, with no more than 49% advertising on their panels.

I helped do research on the original Infotogo pillars, which included sitting for 8 hours straight and just tallying how many times these things are used. The fact is, they're actually used quite a bit in high-traffic areas, particularly those near tourist sites like the CN Tower. I agree that smart phones do have an affect on their use, but I think many of you are forgetting that there are very large portions of the population who don't own a phone (I'm included) and/or aren't comfortable using technology. It just so happens that those people tend to be boomers and boomers are a massively important demographic for the tourism sector, especially during times when the economy is struggling (such as it has been for the last few years). It's easy to say "everyone has a smart phone" in the same way as it's easy to say "everyone has a car". However, it doesn't mean we remove sidewalks because of it.

True enough, and I can see the value in tourist information and wayfinding. But they shouldn't be randomly blocking sidewalks. They should be in squares and at intersections with lots of room, and oriented in a way that they're visible but not in pedestrians' way. But it seems that the locations are determined by the ad space, which means they have to be as in your face as possible. These things are the Crash Bandicoot of signage.

With all the people on here griping about Toronto's degraded public realm, I'm surprised nobody got on here sooner to complain about these monster advertising boards. The older triangular ones were much more attractive, less obtrusive and they actually served a purpose. (they had good maps, which I used many times) These new towers are much larger with much smaller maps. They also took out the computer screen and purchase map option. I've seen these in places where they block half the sidewalk, as well as the view of the street. Obviously, I really don't like them. Nobody else here complained about it, so I figured, I was the only one who hated these things (like my pet peeves of postering and grey everything) but it's nice to know some people agree with me. Astral pulled a bait and switch with these things and the city let them get away with it. I guess it just goes to show, city council is asleep at the switch and nobody really is keeping track of this stuff. This should have never have been allowed to happen. It just cheapens this city and degrades our public realm, especially in historic areas like Old Town.

Last edited:
I helped do research on the original Infotogo pillars, which included sitting for 8 hours straight and just tallying how many times these things are used. The fact is, they're actually used quite a bit in high-traffic areas, particularly those near tourist sites like the CN Tower. I agree that smart phones do have an affect on their use, but I think many of you are forgetting that there are very large portions of the population who don't own a phone (I'm included) and/or aren't comfortable using technology. It just so happens that those people tend to be boomers and boomers are a massively important demographic for the tourism sector, especially during times when the economy is struggling (such as it has been for the last few years). It's easy to say "everyone has a smart phone" in the same way as it's easy to say "everyone has a car". However, it doesn't mean we remove sidewalks because of it.

I don't use smart phones. I have one but I never use it. I also have wonky vision, so I like LARGE print. I much prefer to read an info piller then have to search stuff up on the net or a phone. I don't like carrying around cell phones, so for me, those info poles were of great use for directions. I used the public maps a lot when I was last in NYC which is great because I didn't have to buy a map and always carry it around.

Why is the city not installing their own information kiosks and taking 100% of the profit? Why allow Astral to have the lion's share? The private sector loves to take the government for a ride, and yet Ford complains we don't have a problem generating revenue?

With all the people on here griping about Toronto's degraded public realm, I'm surprised nobody got on here sooner to complain about these monster advertising boards. The older triangular ones were much more attractive, less obtrusive and they actually served a purpose. (they had good maps, which I used many times) These new towers are much larger with much smaller maps. They also took out the computer screen and purchase map option. I've seen these in places where they block half the sidewalk, as well as the view of the street. Obviously, I really don't like them. Nobody else here complained about it, so I figured, I was the only one who hated these things (like my pet peeves of postering and grey everything) but it's nice to know some people agree with me. Astral pulled a bait and switch with these things and the city let them get away with it. I guess it just goes to show, city council is asleep at the switch and nobody really is keeping track of this stuff. This should have never have been allowed to happen. It just cheapens this city and degrades our public realm, especially in historic areas like Old Town.

The first one I ever saw was the one in front of George Brown which was promptly removed. Since the controversy broke out, I have noticed two or three more. I guess I don't travel in tourist areas very often. Though I doubt these will stick to just tourist areas. Just like the bus shelters, these are about advertising only. There is quite an irony that Mt. Pleasant has shelters at almost every stop, yet now has pretty much the least service hours.

Last edited:
Another annoying thing about these pillars... Walking up to them, you have no way of knowing that they are information pillars. The "i" sign is in an awkward position and might as well not even be on the pillar.

adpillar2011.jpg

From that image. If I passed by, I wouldn't notice that's an information pillar. I would think that's an advertisement pillar. Where's the information located? o_O How can people tell right a way it provides information?

You need to have your head turned sideways in order to noticed the information
1rbz0o.jpg

and should you wish to actually stop and examine the information, you need to block even more sidewalk...though thankfully the ad remains unobstructed

The first one I ever saw was the one in front of George Brown which was promptly removed. Since the controversy broke out, I have noticed two or three more. I guess I don't travel in tourist areas very often. Though I doubt these will stick to just tourist areas. Just like the bus shelters, these are about advertising only. There is quite an irony that Mt. Pleasant has shelters at almost every stop, yet now has pretty much the least service hours.

I guess this is based on the theory that if the bus/streetcar is coming within 2 minutes you don't need a shelter but if it is every hour on alternate days you might be glad of one. :->

The wayfinding information that these pillars should emphasize is important because it can be very useful for people unfamiliar with an area. It can encourage people to explore a neighbourhood and to get to know the city better. Even if 90% of Torontonians and visitors had smart phones, the maps would still be invaluable resources to ensure that everyone in an unfamiliar area can get around with ease, whether or not they have a premium cellphone. Of course, these pillars should also promote attractions and interesting heritage buildings and architecture in every neighbourhood to present the city as sophisticated, cultured, and full of things to do and places to discover. The pillars should be slightly smaller to take up less sidewalk space, with no more than 49% advertising on their panels.

Exactly, I don't think anyone is saying that having information posted for the public is a bad thing -- it's a great idea. The primary objection to these things is that the execution is so terrible that it boggles the mind.

The pillar is much larger than necessary and about 95% of the surface area is advertising. The "information" portion is barely noticeable at all. Worst of all, they are being positioned in locations that obstruct views and impede sidewalk traffic. The inevitable conclusion is that the pillars are really just intended to be sidewalk advertising billboards, with just enough "information" on them to let the installers pretend otherwise. It feels duplicitous, like an exploitation of a loophole. I'd rather the city just said "Hey, we need more money we're installing big-ass billboards on the sidewalk. Deal with it."

A truly useful information pillar would be much smaller, have clearer noticeable signage as to its purpose, and be positioned in locations that are adjacent to busy sidewalks and tourist sites but just off to the side enough to allow people to stop and use them without impeding foot traffic. They exist -- in other cities!

Last edited:

Back