News   May 02, 2024
 254     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 162     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 213     0 

Corktown

There is a sign on door today implying that they have new owners and stating that they are moving the stock elsewhere.
Ah, that's interesting. I wandered in yesterday and was looking to see what was there. I casually asked how long they'd be selling things off, and the answer was, hopefully an hour.

I thought it was just a joke, but one of the two owners mentioned he'd had an offer for all the their contents, and he was hoping to hear back from them later in the day. He seemed a little surprised that it may happen quickly.

I guess they agreed to his terms!

Someone in the film industry apparently, so I expect they'll keep the stuff that's good for props, and just sell off the rest of the stuff.

I should have grabbed that table then and there! Glad I wandered in though ... hadn't been in there for years, despite walking past all the time!

The new traffic lights at King & Sumach still feel like they have some bugs that need ironing out. If you're northbound at that intersection, you're sitting about 15 meters south of King. When the light turns green, it's green for less than nine seconds, making it impossible for more than 2 or 3 cars to get through at a time.

The new traffic lights at King & Sumach still feel like they have some bugs that need ironing out. If you're northbound at that intersection, you're sitting about 15 meters south of King. When the light turns green, it's green for less than nine seconds, making it impossible for more than 2 or 3 cars to get through at a time.
Would there be that much traffic? You either have to turn right or left. I'd assume most would be turning right (wouldn't it be quicker for those turning left to go down Eastern which turns into Front?). Is there a turn restriction that you can only turn right on green?

It's hard to imagine that there'd be more than 2-3 cars wanting to turn left each cycle.

Would there be that much traffic? You either have to turn right or left. I'd assume most would be turning right (wouldn't it be quicker for those turning left to go down Eastern which turns into Front?). Is there a turn restriction that you can only turn right on green?

It's hard to imagine that there'd be more than 2-3 cars wanting to turn left each cycle.

I've seen on a number of occasions the light turn red and people still drive through the intersection to turn right. However, because the north/south walk signals are offset from the north/south traffic signals, you now have someone crossing King on foot while a car with limited visibility is turning the corner from sumach. A sub-9 second light (compared to a much longer east-west light) invariably results in more people trying to race through.

Agreed, When travelling west, one can bypass the lights altogether by continuing on eastern and left on St. Lawrence to King. Soon, Eastern will connect direct with Bayview by way of the WDL and hopefully absorb quite a bit of the rush hour traffic.

Yes - there's one now.
Ah. That changes things.

Well, on the bright side, it will discourage people into trying to use King Street East as shortcut in rushhour. Though I'd think a lot of the problem goes away once Eastern reopens to Bayview.

Anyone have an ETA on that?
I thought Old Eastern was already open to St. Lawrence, and cars could turn on there to King without the right-on-red restriction.

No indication when the piece from St. Lawrence to towards Bayview would open. In a recent report, Waterfront Toronto noted that
So sounds like it won't be quick. Was anyone at yesterday's meeting? Perhaps they provided an update.

Ah. That changes things.

Well, on the bright side, it will discourage people into trying to use King Street East as shortcut in rushhour. Though I'd think a lot of the problem goes away once Eastern reopens to Bayview.
One can now drive From Eastern onto Old Eastern to St Lawrence, back to King and then to Bayview - longer but still probably faster that going north on Sumach, esp. if you get an eastbound green at Eastern/Sumach/Cherry

One can now drive From Eastern onto Old Eastern to St Lawrence, back to King and then to Bayview ...
I assume you can walk from St. Lawrence to River through Underpass Park? I'm surprised Trolley Crescent isn't open for cars yet.

Time to talk a lunchtime walk ... one day when it's warm.

Back