News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 332     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 899     0 

Corktown

Yes, the School (built in 1887) could do with a good scrubbing but the TDSB did give them a new roof and, I think, new windows about 10 years ago. I wish they would remove the tall ugly fencing too but ....

Inglenook Community School (GR. 10-12)​

"Subvert the dominant paradigm"

Grades: 10-12
Approx. Enrolment: 70

Inglenook is a small, arts focused, friendly alternative community high school with a family-like atmosphere. Inglenook offers Grade 10, 11 & 12 programs which includes courses that allow for a wide range of post-secondary planning destinations. The school is very community-focused: teachers, parents, and students are all involved in school decision-making. Inglenook offers community building programming every Friday. SEE https://www.tdsb.on.ca/Find-your/Schools/schno/5582

I think the school looks fine. As DSC points out, the biggest improvement would be removing the ugly, very tall chain link fencing along Eastern and Sumach and replacing it with wrought iron or something more attractive. There is also an unfortunate surplus of asphalt along the Sumach side that I'm not sure serves any purpose.

I think the school looks fine. As DSC points out, the biggest improvement would be removing the ugly, very tall chain link fencing along Eastern and Sumach and replacing it with wrought iron or something more attractive. There is also an unfortunate surplus of asphalt along the Sumach side that I'm not sure serves any purpose.
One could always email the Trustee in charge of that school to ask about these useful changes. Deborah.Williams@tdsb.on.ca

Thanks for link! I also noticed the George Street revitalization. I wonder if reconnecting it from Queen to Shuter is an option?

Thanks for link! I also noticed the George Street revitalization. I wonder if reconnecting it from Queen to Shuter is an option?
The George Street revitalisation is the rebuilding of "Shelter Row" on George between Dundas and Gerrard. See: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...to-montgomery-sisam.10520/page-7#post-2041632

Why on earth would you want to create a road between Queen and Shuter and take away scarce parkland? There is a perfectly acceptable pedestrian pathway and the whole of Moss Park is going to get a 'refresh'.

I don't think anyone has suggested bringing George St through the new Moss Park. I think if you continued it straight, it would run smack into the armoury building anyways. Which hopefully will have a 20 storey affordable tower on top of it soon :)

1708017210746.png

I don't think anyone has suggested bringing George St through the new Moss Park. I think if you continued it straight, it would run smack into the armoury building anyways. Which hopefully will have a 20 storey affordable tower on top of it soon :)

View attachment 540847

I can't see housing on top of the Armoury. The military would not abide the security/risk issues associated w/that.

IF the Armoury were relocated, that site would be perfect for a much needed new downtown soccer pitch.

But I don't see that happening either.

I can't see housing on top of the Armoury. The military would not abide the security/risk issues associated w/that.
It came straight from the housing minister!

“If you can build 20 storeys on top of a two-storey armoury, you should look at doing that,” Mr. Fraser said, adding that 60 storeys could also be built on top of a Canada Post building while the post office maintained its business on the ground floor.

It came straight from the housing minister!

“If you can build 20 storeys on top of a two-storey armoury, you should look at doing that,” Mr. Fraser said, adding that 60 storeys could also be built on top of a Canada Post building while the post office maintained its business on the ground floor.

Interesting. I wonder if he ran that past the military first.

Perhaps I'm mistaken in my view.........

Best to summon UT's resident expert on such things; @kEiThZ

I think he was speaking off the cuff and it's probably something they've talked about opening discussions with the military about, but not more than that. Obviously housing at this particular site is a perennial topic of discussion, but I doubt a plan to build a tower there is even at the "pie in the sky" stage yet.

I mentioned a road through Moss Park as a security and improving access measure that has been brought up before. Having said that I don’t know why it was dismissed ( I think by MoD) and there may be very solid reasons. I have observed that most revitalizations involve reintegrating the property with the surrounding area as was done in Regent Park.

As for the Armoury I know that the military is vociferous in protecting their properties for defence uses; the heritage committees in both Hamilton and Stratford would love to get their hands on those active, Victorian-era armouries! lol Perhaps a compromise is to build affordable housing for defence personnel and their families and clad The Armoury in something other than dirty brown concrete?!

But back on the school, I imagine that there is some intention for expansion as the population has greatly increased. Let’s start with cleaning the brick after dealing with the fence.

. I wonder if he ran that past the military first.
Definitely not. But it really says something about how unserious this country is about national security that he would suggest this. Imagine the American or British Defence Secretaries making suggestions like this.

I don't think anyone has suggested bringing George St through the new Moss Park.
Which hopefully will have a 20 storey affordable tower on top of it soon

As long as it is an armory that will not happen.

Aside from the security risk issues if even allowing something like this to be built, why would anybody want to live on top of an armoury? You'd be living in a building that is a potential target. You or your visitors could face demands for potential search and demand to produce identification on site. You'd face all kinds of noise and fumes at random hours when they are training. The place would get busy during any major emergency.

In Canada, we call it the Department of National Defence (DND).

As for the Armoury I know that the military is vociferous in protecting their properties for defence uses; the heritage committees in both Hamilton and Stratford would love to get their hands on those active, Victorian-era armouries! lol Perhaps a compromise is to build affordable housing for defence personnel and their families and clad The Armoury in something other than dirty brown concrete?!

Housing for military personnel is only provided to regular force personnel. In the GTA, most Regular Force personnel work at Downsview or at the Staff College. Reservists don't usually qualify for housing.

There reason DND is so zealous in guarding such properties is because it's hard to attract reservists if they commute really far. Especially in urban areas. It is after-all a part time weeknight commitment for most. Having to travel an hour each way for a 3 hr parade night is a tough sell. Getting locations of this quality would be impossible. Beyond just the convenience though, Armouries provide a whole lot of flexibility capacity for emergency services, law enforcement, etc. And that's valuable to more than just the federal government. These Armouries have been used as emergency shelters for the homeless and reservist personnel providing medical care, security and food services (part of the logistics function).

On the armoury lands, is any of it, likely the Shuter Street side, on the approach/take off vector to St. Michael's for helicopters?
Perhaps you can't build on the north side of that property anyway because of that? Or at least maybe nothing more than say 10-15 floors? I can't picture a 60 storey tower there blocking the way in.

Last edited:

Back