News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 897     0 

Corktown

Work on Lisbon Hotel. Taken 28 September.

View attachment 509815
I am assuming that the existing and near-future density of the neighbourhood make this a smart choice. There are 1000 units in Riverwalk with no real place to socialize and 500 units coming soon at the Brocollini project on River which is just over 5 minutes away.

A bit of sad news for regulars at Tandem Coffee on King East in Corktown, as the owners have sold the business and are moving on after nearly 10 years behind the counter.

Their last day of operation will be this Sat Oct 28 if you want to say your goodbyes.

This, maybe, fits here. This is he site just east of the Toronto Humane Society along Bayview where the older building (1970s??) has just been demolished.

1700521235591.png

This, maybe, fits here. This is he site just east of the Toronto Humane Society along Bayview where the older building (1970s??) has just been demolished.

View attachment 521838

Not my idea of highest and best use. Of course, in this spot, I'd prefer to return this land to the valley as park space.

Reactions: DSC

View attachment 521838

I could be wrong, but I think those are two different sites? My understanding is that the Volvo dealership intended to move from Front E. to the demolished building site, where this seems to be for the Audi dealership next door. Unclear.

I could be wrong, but I think those are two different sites? My understanding is that the Volvo dealership intended to move from Front E. to the demolished building site, where this seems to be for the Audi dealership next door. Unclear.
My recollection is that both sites belong to the same person - a doctor at Sick Kids. When they were building the Audi part a few years ago, the excavation caused major 'landslide' concerns for the adjoining town houses.

Howdy: Was on the King car going east when I noticed a Mercury Espresso at 465 King East. How long has it been there? This stretch of King is great now!

Howdy: Was on the King car going east when I noticed a Mercury Espresso at 465 King East. How long has it been there? This stretch of King is great now!
This Mercury soft-opened right around Christmas, and then opened properly in the new year. What a nice surprise that was. Mercury has always been a favourite place to go when further east. This one is a very small little spot, not much seating and no proper tables -- I think it's mostly for take out or a quick chat. The coffee is good.

The former Tandem nearby has also re-opened as F Mondays Coffee & Books, and they are finding their stride now as well. Also good coffee, with more of a relaxed vibe for hanging out.

This is definitely a great stretch of King, with these spaces now joining Roselle Bakery, Henrietta Lane, Old Town Bodega, Gusto 501 and Spaccio. What a transformation from when I moved to the area 20 years ago and this stretch was just mostly vacant warehouses or very quiet retail. But there is a lot of very large development coming to the area soon, as it's a transit priority area very near the future Corktown subway station, so this may be just a peaceful interlude before the chaos. We should enjoy it now.

This Mercury soft-opened right around Christmas, and then opened properly in the new year. What a nice surprise that was. Mercury has always been a favourite place to go when further east. This one is a very small little spot, not much seating and no proper tables -- I think it's mostly for take out or a quick chat. The coffee is good.

The former Tandem nearby has also re-opened as F Mondays Coffee & Books, and they are finding their stride now as well. Also good coffee, with more of a relaxed vibe for hanging out.

This is definitely a great stretch of King, with these spaces now joining Roselle Bakery, Henrietta Lane, Old Town Bodega, Gusto 501 and Spaccio. What a transformation from when I moved to the area 20 years ago and this stretch was just mostly vacant warehouses or very quiet retail. But there is a lot of very large development coming to the area soon, as it's a transit priority area very near the future Corktown subway station, so this may be just a peaceful interlude before the chaos. We should enjoy it now.
Don’t forget Reyna! Lol

With so many new, shiny buildings going up around it the school and its asphalt yard are looking a bit shabby. It does look like there is some discussion to renovate but haven’t seen anything concrete. Btw if the brick was cleaned would it be a nice yellow?

IMG_6993.jpeg
IMG_6992.jpeg

With so many new, shiny buildings going up around it the school and its asphalt yard are looking a bit shabby. It does look like there is some discussion to renovate but haven’t seen anything concrete. Btw if the brick was cleaned would it be a nice yellow?

View attachment 539926View attachment 539925
Yes, the School (built in 1887) could do with a good scrubbing but the TDSB did give them a new roof and, I think, new windows about 10 years ago. I wish they would remove the tall ugly fencing too but ....

Inglenook Community School (GR. 10-12)​

"Subvert the dominant paradigm"

Grades: 10-12
Approx. Enrolment: 70

Inglenook is a small, arts focused, friendly alternative community high school with a family-like atmosphere. Inglenook offers Grade 10, 11 & 12 programs which includes courses that allow for a wide range of post-secondary planning destinations. The school is very community-focused: teachers, parents, and students are all involved in school decision-making. Inglenook offers community building programming every Friday. SEE https://www.tdsb.on.ca/Find-your/Schools/schno/5582

Back