News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 596     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Condo soundproofing

One thing you guys can try is putting the side of your head (ears) flat against your wall... see what you can hear... then step back from the wall, close your eyes, and see what you hear. Compare the difference in audio between when you had your ears pressed up against the wall and when you're standing next to the wall.

In my unit, there's a pretty significant difference. In the sense that when I have my ears pressed up against my living room wall, I can almost make out what TV programme the guy is watching... but once I step back from the wall, I no longer even know the guy is watching TV!

I thought I would piggy back on this discussion as it's about sound proofing. I paid the Brookfield Homes 4k for Quiet Zone sound upgrade that they recommended to make my new town-home quiet. Fast track to 2 months after I've moved in and I often hear banging noises when my neighbor makes gentle use of his kitchen cabinets/counters. The sad part is that I'm in a row of town-homes where everyone has their kitchen cabinets/counters back to back with each other so as to absorb the noise. In my end unit my bare kitchen wall is backed up the my neighbor's cabinets so no sound buffering. I'm out 4k and the premium cost for an end unit with a more noise prone home than my neighbors:mad:

This builder's response on the matter is somewhat contradictory... it works but it doesn't?
"As mentioned in previous correspondence, the Quiet Zone option is not designed to eliminate all noises and reverberations from your neighbouring unit, but is effective at reducing noise transfer. Brookfield has already committed to cutting out a small section to confirm that the correct insulation has been installed."

Seriously thinking about selling this place next year. Unit 3 doors down just sold after 3 weeks on the market for 98% asking price/original price paid.

Last edited:
I thought I would piggy back on this discussion as it's about sound proofing. I paid the Brookfield Homes 4k for Quiet Zone sound upgrade that they recommended to make my new town-home quiet. Fast track to 2 months after I've moved in and I often hear banging noises when my neighbor makes gentle use of his kitchen cabinets/counters. The sad part is that I'm in a row of town-homes where everyone has their kitchen cabinets/counters back to back with each other so as to absorb the noise. In my end unit my bare kitchen wall is backed up the my neighbor's cabinets so no sound buffering. I'm out 4k and the premium cost for an end unit with a more noise prone home than my neighbors:mad:

This builder's response on the matter is somewhat contradictory... it works but it doesn't?
"As mentioned in previous correspondence, the Quiet Zone option is not designed to eliminate all noises and reverberations from your neighbouring unit, but is effective at reducing noise transfer. Brookfield has already committed to cutting out a small section to confirm that the correct insulation has been installed."

Seriously thinking about selling this place next year. Unit 3 doors down just sold after 3 weeks on the market for 98% asking price/original price paid.

I find that the newer townhomes have awful soundproofing. I'd never pay extra money for an upgrade I can't see. How do you know the builder even used the product they said they'd use? If you can hear kitchen cabinets, that's some awful soundproofing. You should ask them what the STC (I think the standard is 50) rating is on the product they installed....then test it. There are companies that test noise transfer between units. Saw a Holmes on Holmes episode with the same issue.

Back