News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 601     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Condo soundproofing

So I came up with a theory:

9 foot ceilings are WORSE for sound proofing, no matter how well built the building is??

What do people think about this. It seems 8 foot ceilings will have something resembling a double ceiling, keeping more noise out?? :confused:
Also, there were not many 9 foot floors going up in the pre 2000s - it wasn't the norm as it is today for the most part ... maybe this explains it, verse, say the quality.

Again, I'm assuming we're talking about a well built building (that's hard to judge from outside) but a crappy 8 foot ceiling building can still be terrible.

So I came up with a theory:

9 foot ceilings are WORSE for sound proofing, no matter how well built the building is??

What do people think about this. It seems 8 foot ceilings will have something resembling a double ceiling, keeping more noise out?? :confused:
Also, there were not many 9 foot floors going up in the pre 2000s - it wasn't the norm as it is today for the most part ... maybe this explains it, verse, say the quality.

Again, I'm assuming we're talking about a well built building (that's hard to judge from outside) but a crappy 8 foot ceiling building can still be terrible.

from what i've heard/read, the ceilings in the older buildings are actually higher than 8 ft; however, they almost all had dropped ceilings.
i recall reading a few articles about ppl who bought those 80/90s condos and during their renovations found at least another foot of ceiling height.

Even newer buildings that are 8 foot - there most likely is a fake ceiling or something of the sorts as well as that's where the air condition duct runs.

In 9 foot ceilings those typically hang lower then the ceiling.

In either case, the extra bit of air + drywall might make for a fairly good sound barrier?

I'm not sure if 8' or 9' ceilings make any difference for noise. My places were all 9' ceilings and didn't have false ceilings, they were smooth or popcorn ceilings that went to the concrete slab and the HVAC ductwork ran along the walls from the heat pumps/HVAC units. If you have 9' ceilings it's possible that you could have an insulated false ceiling installed by a contractor but your probably looking at a considerable expense not to mention a heck of a mess for a week or so. You could also have an insulated extension wall built up against any sides that are shared with another noisy unit if you can afford to lose 4 or 5 or so inches along that wall. Either of those options could also involve some minor electrical work if there are electrical feeds in the ceiling plus electrical and cable outlets along the walls. If you have floor to ceiling windows these options probably aren't possible or will prove ineffective. If not, there are options in most cases to help improve soundproofing in your suite but your looking at spending some substantial money along with losing some space and ceiling height.
If you consider this, check your condo regulations and purchase & sale agreement to make sure your allowed to make such changes to your suite. It's rare but sometimes the BoD may have to approve major changes within your suite although I doubt this would fall into that category. If a clause like this exists they're usually most concerned about people renovating and relocating electrical and plumbing lines which could possibly affect other residents.

Did you find the 9 foot ceilings that were directly under the concrete slab worse for noise insulation at all?

I can't hear anything except sometimes a piano playing, and it sounds like it's coming from above. Luckily, s/he is a decent player.

Oh, I should also warn to anybody who is buying a condo in a tall building: if your floor is above the height of neighbouring buildings, you will have the concert of constant air conditioner humming in your ears, all summer.

Place I just moved into is quiet for the most part, but the door lets in a lot of noise...elevators...people in the hall. I did a sound check...turned my TV down to a respectable level closed my door and stepped into the hallway...I heard the tv pretty loud and clear. Granted, there's no carpet or wallpaper up yet in the hallway to drown out a bit of the noise.

I think a true test would be to get to know your neighbours, then ask if you could stop in one day while you play a movie nice a loud in your unit. Maybe even check with your neighbour below too.

Thanks so much for all the comments everyone!

From what I can tell, older - quality buildings - built say between 1990 and 2000 are a lot better sound proofed.

I'm definitely in that sensitive to sound group of people. And I'm sure I come off to other people as really picky - what can I say ? :)

It's just the low / quiet humming (it's not constant though! like a fan) that gets me, it is fairly quiet though. I don't mind airplanes / cars / anything else actually ! Even people talking in the hallway isn't bad.

Anyone can relate?

I have the exact humming noise in my unit. I am pretty sure is the cheap elevator that we have and I can hear it most often during rush hours. After the hum, there is always two clicks. I asked the management to come, but they never showed. i actually wasted a day waiting at home for them to show up.
I hope I can find the source of this noise without major cost or renovation.

I am wondering if you can sue your own building? but that will bring the mgmt fee up!

The humming you are hearing might be related to circulation pumps. Bulkheads often hide more than just the duct work for your suite.

I can relate. City sounds don't trouble me, it's building noises that set me off - I don't know why that is. The building I live in now is terrible for noise transmission (built in 1972). The building's engineer has been here since the place opened and he says sound travels so badly because the walls are plaster not drywall, I don't know if that's true or not. Things that drive me nutz are neighbours walking heavily in the apartment above (which thankfully is rare), neighbours slamming closet doors closed, chairs/furniture being dragged along the floor, I frequently hear someone near me in my bedroom on MSN and can hear that chime every time they get a message, apartment doors slamming that shake the floor and worse of all, mail or memos being put through the mail slot in my door which makes me jump out of my skin. Sirens, late-night yahoo's on the street, helicopters etc. - doesn't bother me at all.

I'm in a condo with 9ft ceilings. I don't hear neighbours, but I hear the garbage shute a little. I can hear people running above me and when a new video game comes out he'll bast volume when playing the game.

I can relate. City sounds don't trouble me, it's building noises that set me off - I don't know why that is. The building I live in now is terrible for noise transmission (built in 1972). The building's engineer has been here since the place opened and he says sound travels so badly because the walls are plaster not drywall, I don't know if that's true or not. Things that drive me nutz are neighbours walking heavily in the apartment above (which thankfully is rare), neighbours slamming closet doors closed, chairs/furniture being dragged along the floor, I frequently hear someone near me in my bedroom on MSN and can hear that chime every time they get a message, apartment doors slamming that shake the floor and worse of all, mail or memos being put through the mail slot in my door which makes me jump out of my skin. Sirens, late-night yahoo's on the street, helicopters etc. - doesn't bother me at all.

woooooooow. I'd go nuts.

Back