Condo Critic: Cityplace proving its critics wrong

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
Condo Critic: Cityplace proving its critics wrong

March 13, 2010

Christopher Hume

logo.gif

Read More: http://www.yourhome.ca/homes/column...do-critic-cityplace-proving-its-critics-wrong

#####################################

Cityplace has its fair share of detractors, but the fact is that it appears ready to become one of the most successful planned neighbourhoods in Toronto. Development of the old railway lands started on the east side of Spadina and now continues on the west. Clearly, the lessons learned on the former were applied on the latter. Though there's much skepticism about this sort of urban mega-development, Cityplace seems to be getting it right.

As much as anything, this success is based on a solid understanding on the importance of the public realm. Much remains to be finished, but the attention to public amenities such as sidewalks, parks and even architecture has already made a difference.

Certainly, Cityplace will not be another St. James Town in terms of what's going on at street level. At Cityplace, roads are connected and sidewalks lined with planters. There are even a few small squares and public art pieces. The quality of the planning is matched by the quality of the architecture, which is remarkably sophisticated.

The most obvious problem is that of Spadina, which bisects the site. Where it meets Bremner Blvd./Fort York Dr., Spadina is fully nine lanes wide, seven for cars, two for streetcars. The reason, of course, is that Spadina has been turned into an on/off ramp for the Gardiner Expressway and Lake Shore Blvd.

Why the city would allow such a use in an area set aside for residential development remains a mystery. It looks like another example of trying to have it both ways; clearly, the idea was to allow the suburbanization of Toronto to continue while accommodating urban intensification. At some point, the city will have to decide in which direction it wants to go.

#####################################

Well, so far it looks like a modern industrial wasteland IMO. As I've said many times before, Cityplace is one of the places downtown that I never have interest in visiting. I used to live right by there, too.

That said, maybe it will improve with time, esp. as the other buildings get built.

I wish that they would put offices on the lower levels of the buildings, so that instead of being residential only, there would be more places of employment in the downtown area for the residents. Also more 2 and 3 bedrooms would be nice for growing families in the neighbourhood.

<snip>
As much as anything, this success is based on a solid understanding on the importance of the public realm. Much remains to be finished, but the attention to public amenities such as sidewalks, parks and even architecture has already made a difference.

Certainly, Cityplace will not be another St. James Town in terms of what's going on at street level. At Cityplace, roads are connected and sidewalks lined with planters. There are even a few small squares and public art pieces. The quality of the planning is matched by the quality of the architecture, which is remarkably sophisticated. <snip>

Hume is losing his mind. Cycling around CityPlace (let alone living or driving through there) is uninspiring and causes me to worry about the competence of our City planners.

Maybe they should have had retail at the bottom of the towers and added a ground level neighbourhood too with streetscapes, coffee shops, bars, restaurants, and other stuff.

There are no maybes about it! As is, Cityplace creates a downtown dead zone. I get depressed and feel so alienated, just walking through it.

Yeah, I'm surprised Hume would write this. CityPlace is a dead zone. A little slice of suburbia downtown.

City Place "neighborhood" is as exciting as the plastic grass they put in.........really how can anyone say this area was well planned.Traffic is a huge problem with total lack of retail for the thousands who call this place home.When you drive in the only entrance to this" thriving" area the area feels claustrophobic.Doesnt help when there is high turnover of rental tenants.

The point about the Gardiner ramp is kind of important here. Should the off ramp be closed?

I like CityPlace precisely for the reason everyone hates it. It's so eerily "dead" and dead-looking from afar that it's beautiful! I have a thing for abandoned spaces, especially grandiose ones and this fits. I'll say this though: a big part of what doesn't attract me to the area is the jumble of the Gardiner on/off ramps, the Gardiner itself and the tangle at Lakeshore. Tear down the Gardiner and I'll bet my bollocks to a barn dance (bonus points for naming the film I got that from) that the area improves immensely in at least aesthetic appeal.

Neighbourhoods evolve over time; the same holds true for CityPlace. It wasn't that long ago much of the west area was a big construction zone, and much of it still is. Once it's completed and things settle I think it'll develop a bit of personality.

You're optimistic. I'm afraid that it might just end up like so many north Toronto / North York condo building areas. Antiseptic and uninteresting... like it is now.

i would have to add my voice to the choir on this one. i may bike by today to have another peak, but to this consummate 'half glass full guy' i am continually disappointed by the poor design, absence of street life and nowhereness of the surroundings.

Those who are dreaming in techno color about this area really needs to realize what you see is what you get,if you think this area will turn into another SOHO you better stop drinking the tap water.I agree with EUG that this is another mass of condos built by a developer who has a reputation of cookie cutter designs.How can this area evolved when its about %70 completed the usage of land.I dont think adding the ontario housing buildings will drastically improve a poor thought out community.Didnt CP market the "park" as Toronto version of Central Park?...

Maybe they should have had retail at the bottom of the towers and added a ground level neighbourhood too with streetscapes, coffee shops, bars, restaurants, and other stuff.

In fact, there is already a good helping of retail space at the base of these towers. All of Front Street is lined with retail, the HVE complex has more retail, and there's retail on three corners of the Bremner/Fort York Blvd and Spadina intersection. But a lot of the retail is sterile -- realty offices, bank branches, chain fast food... and some struggle to stay open. A video store on Front Street closed and the smoothie shop that replaced it only lasted about a year before closing as well. It's clearly not an ideal location for stores geared to pedestrians.

Retail isn't always the magic ingredient for vibrant neighbourhoods.

I agree that Hume is off his rocker. This article is contrary to a lot of the stuff he writes.

Last edited:

Back