News   May 17, 2024
 2.8K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

No chance to take a picture, but the TTC Streetcar tracks that pass under the torch are fenced off, so I dunno if this means they are going to eliminate the tracks or if this is just a temporary measure during construction.

Paul

I hope this is the start of putting hoarding around the building which would mean that we would see substantial changes to the exterior.

No chance to take a picture, but the TTC Streetcar tracks that pass under the torch are fenced off, so I dunno if this means they are going to eliminate the tracks or if this is just a temporary measure during construction.

Paul

I would be gobsmacked if those tracks were removed: it's gotta be alterations to the building itself, which I am hoping will have a Citytv News Streetcar bursting out of the side of the building.

Couldn't work up something like that, could you 3D?

I doubt they'd remove the only good feature of Torch. It's awesome having tracks going under the building.

I would be gobsmacked if those tracks were removed: it's gotta be alterations to the building itself, which I am hoping will have a Citytv News Streetcar bursting out of the side of the building.

Couldn't work up something like that, could you 3D?

You're on to something. Something tells me that there are going to be a lot of the current streetcar/tanks sold at firesale prices... :rolleyes:

The TTC insisted it needed these tracks when Torch was built so, at considerable expense, they had to leave them there. I doubt TTC will relinquish them and hope they don't. The TTC is going to redo the tracks on Victoria and at the junction of Dundas/Victoria this summer.

The building next to Torch (east on Dundas) is apparently being redeveloped for Hakim Optical and there is another UT thread about it. Apparently it is not being further demolished and they are going to use the remaining walls to build. Seems odd to me too, but....

If I were Rogers Communications, I would love to get my hands on that new Hakim Building backing onto my property. - I just don't see how the Torch Space will be sufficient for everything they plan to do out of the building.

But as some have stated, they will keep the Lakeshore headquarters for storage of equipment and files. - Which is a way to go, I guess.

^ Remember that the gossip in the CityTV offices is that Rogers is planning on removing the Torch part of the building and adding studios up there. I'd love to know how tall they can build on that "torch podium".

I would quite surprised if that indeed happens as it would be a massive undertaking with massive costs. Anything is possible but CITY has not been the most profitable station during the last few years.

I wonder how far along they are in the design process and whether we will see a rendering any time soon (or at all).

Back