News   May 01, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 315     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 353     0 

City orders condo developers to buy annual metropass for every unit

This policy is downright kooky. Forcing condo buyers to pay for a metropass, whether the cost is buried or not, is not going to change their behaviour in any meaningful way. We should be encouraging transit use with efficient, cost effective service, not by ramming it down new home buyers' throats.

I can't help but think that this is a desparate move by a City that is desparately strapped for cash and that it has very little to do with changing new home buyer behaviour.

If they combined this with massive reductions in parking requirements for areas with good transit then I'd be all for it (as would many developers). At the end of the day a devloper taking a $20,000 hit on selling a parking space is far more costly than $1,000 for a metropass.

I totally agree. Force the developer to provide the metropass as long as you also allow the developer to opt out of providing parking.

Yes they are, that is what this post is all about. The city is saying to the developer "push TTC or no building". Is that a choice?

I have worked with developments along Bloor and believe me, the City does not need to make a policy just so developers promote the benifits of the TTC or accessibility.

But to force a private company to give out coupons for the bus is ridiculous.

And that reveals your bias right there. Developers aren't hurting for money, so I say... bring it on. When I get a condo this spring it would save me from having to dish out even more money for a metropass. Which also would motivate me to buy the condo in the first place.

And that reveals your bias right there. Developers aren't hurting for money, so I say... bring it on. When I get a condo this spring it would save me from having to dish out even more money for a metropass. Which also would motivate me to buy the condo in the first place.

This doesn't take money out of the developer's pocket, it takes it out of the purchaser's. The developer will simply pass the cost on with higher pricing on the units, just like all of the other back door taxes that the City is pushing through...

Good idea! Those who would otherwise buy a metro pass get a break. Those who own cars have an incentive to drive less. And the remainder who walk or cycle have the option to take transit more frequently.

Despite the city saying the developer can't pass the cost onto the consumer, the cost will be passed on to, you, the consumer.

And be honest with yourself...as if a $1,300 incentive would sway your condo decision — even if you're already buying a metropass monthly.

Why would anyone buy a condo if they need parking but all they get is a "free" Metropass?

Today developers are forced to provide parking even if the demand isn't there. Don't force them to do so. Let the market decide. I'm sure most buildings will still have parking in the future.

Today developers are forced to provide parking even if the demand isn't there. Don't force them to do so. Let the market decide. I'm sure most buildings will still have parking in the future.

Given how lucrative the parking space market seems, are there really that many empty parking spots sitting unused under condos? I can't think of the last time I saw an empty level of parking visiting friends...

Is the policy illegal? From my analysis, I believe it is. I am sure this will be thrown out in court even before it goes into effect.

Good idea! Those who would otherwise buy a metro pass get a break. Those who own cars have an incentive to drive less. And the remainder who walk or cycle have the option to take transit more frequently.

Incentive for only a year. But another disincentive to buying a condo in the city. Another price increase. And another reason for a potential resident to choose Vaughan or Richmond Hill over Toronto. They are getting the subway. But they don't need to pay an extra grand for something they might use or use infrequently. What if they walk everywhere (a likely scenario in downtown areas) and only use tokens for transit occassionally? Is it fair to make that condo owner pay an extra grand?

And how will they implement this? Will it be one pass per unit? Or two for two bedrooms? Or does each adult moving into a unit get a pass? This could get really expensive.

A silly regulation. Again, Not everyone wants a Metropass. Perhaps the developer could, on its own, provide it as an incentive. Too force it on them (and the prospective buyer) is wrong.

Why should I (someone who walks to work) subsidize your (someone who uses a free metropass) transportation? Why does this only apply to condos? Why don't they try establishing a transportation system that works? - subway routes where people live (eg Queen or King St) and get rid of those stupid street cars that are slow and block traffic. I'd rather the developer give everyone a bike - makes more sense to me from an efficiency/enviro perspective.

Back