News   May 03, 2024
 851     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 533     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 263     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Yup, I should've mentioned that. Apparently it's already being partially used as a student residence but now they're going full tilt. I guess we'll be seeing more of this as there seems to be a continual shortage of accomodation for students and our universities and colleges keep expanding. This is I think the third downtown hotel that's been turned over to students.

After having eaten there a few times, I can say that the Vic Pub is not great. The food is ok and the service is below-average. It really sucks that Church St. is such a culinary wasteland. I'm jealous of my West End friends who seem to get a hot new restaurant every few weeks.

Hopefully someone will kindly tear down the Barn + some of those building in the church/wellesley intersection. Has anyone taken a look at the units on the second level on some of those buildings? Just horrendous...it's like they're ready to collapse...surprised some big club owners hadn't taken interest to this area. The Gay community could really use a more cleaner & nicer looking club or resturant venue then what's currently available...I don't plan on doing anything Gay related on Queen West anytime soon.

Keep the Barn buidling as it is still salvageable. It really is a pretty building but the paint and jock-strap posters take away from it. Lol. Perhaps, gutting it and revamping it to nice café by day, lounge by night. Full Wi-Fi, etc. The one across the street where that Bulldog coffee place (whom I unlovingly refer to as the Coffee Nazi; personal experience only; no offence meant to those who go there) seems to be beyond the point of repair.

After having eaten there a few times, I can say that the Vic Pub is not great. The food is ok and the service is below-average. It really sucks that Church St. is such a culinary wasteland. I'm jealous of my West End friends who seem to get a hot new restaurant every few weeks.

Service difinitely leaves a lot to be desired and the food is just ok.

Unforunately, anyone wanting to do something interesting with food will avoid the rents of Church St. And if they can pay those rents, they`ll look to the financial dristrict or Yorkville.

"Keep the Barn buidling as it is still salvageable. "

Heritage Property Detail

Address: 418 CHURCH ST

Ward: 27
List Date:
Intention Date: Apr 27, 2006
By-Law: 1051-2010
Part IV Date: Aug 27, 2010
Part V Date:
Heritage District: N/A
District Status: N/A
Heritage Easement Ag:
Registration Date:
Building Type:
Architect/Builder:
Construction Yr.:
Details: Stephen Murphy Store; Intention to Designate adopted by City Council on April 25-27, 2006. Designation by-law enacted by Council August 27, 2010.
Demolition Date:
Primary Address: 418 CHURCH ST

I've discussed in this thread before I've seen a fairly dramatic increase with problems over the past decade in the Church Wellesley area not the least of which a whole lot of trouble in my apartment building in the Village. Problems typically begin soon after it warms up in April or May and ends in about October, it's all kids who make the Village home during the warmer weather. We've seen the famous "steps" eliminated because of problems with youth and last summer the benches on Alexander Street removed along with additional lighting and surveillance cameras added. I never see any police around unless they're speeding along the street heading to an emergency, now after reading this article I understand why many of the problems have escalated.

Trouble in the nabe - http://www.xtra.ca/public/Toronto/Mean_streets-12445.aspx

Looks like the Yogen Fruz/Country Style is gone; they're taking apart the inside right now.

“I’m a firm believer in the Jane Jacobs theory,” Wong-Tam says. “If there’s broken windows and graffiti in neighborhoods, it gives the perception that the neighborhood is uncared for and neglected. That will attract criminal activity and poor social behavior. When a neighborhood is well kept, and there is pride in place, there are very clear civic-improvement strategies. People are more likely to use their neighborhood. They become more protective of their area to ensure it stays beautiful, safe and clean.”

Could we have a more inept Councillor than Kristin Wong-Tam?:confused:

First of all she wrongly attributes the "broken window" theory to Jane Jacobs, secondly what do broken windows and graffiti have to do with state of Church & Wellesley?

Nothing that Wong-Tam said in the above paragraph can be applied to Church & Wellesley. This in not an unkempt neighborhood. This is a neighborhood that residents have long taken pride in and have long been protective of and no one can say that it suffers from a lack of use! Does this woman think before she opens her mouth to spew nice sounding platitudes?

Church & Wellesley is not some blighted area with broken windows and buildings covered in graffiti. It is a very high rent generally well maintained area and the criminals are attracted to it for that very reason!

The REAL problem - as noted in the Xtra article - is the police are not doing their job in protecting the area. Of course it doesn't help that some of the victims quoted seem to be pushover's who don't want to involve the police.

The question I have is just who are these thugs?

What do they look like?

Why was there no description of them ? Are they Roma? Where are they coming from?

I wonder if some of them are coming from the TCHC building on Carlton at Mutual? Some of the residents of this building came from Regent Park and I have noticed undesirables coming in and out of this building.

Last edited:

Back