News   May 13, 2024
 242     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.1K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3.2K     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Thanks fore the info. cdr108. I didn't even know they had a basement there!

There's activity happening at the former "Village Rainbow". Hopefully we'll get another patio back when the great weather arrives along with improved food.

Appears that a UPS store will be opening up next to Sweet Lulu.

Oishii Sushi is temporarily closed to rebrand themselves as "Chuo Izakaya". I guess they figured Church St needed another Guu wannabe.

There's activity happening at the former "Village Rainbow". Hopefully we'll get another patio back when the great weather arrives along with improved food.

The door was open so I took a peek inside, it's been stripped to the walls though it looks like the kitchen is still there in the back. There are lots of boxes of tiles & piles of drywall laying around. I only saw one guy working on a ladder scraping the black paint off the angled ceiling windows along the patio side of the building. I went to Starbucks after that to pick up a bag of Italian Roast and I asked if they were moving in there. Three people looked at me and one said something like they aren't aware of any move but they've been asked that question several times so the rumour (true or false) is floating around out there.
Whatever goes in there hopefully they can get the place open by Pride week which gives them about two weeks.

things are happening at 504 church (former Play).

i'm assuming it's been leased because the 'for lease' sign is also gone.

I meant to report that. When I walked by on Wednesday or Thursday they were totally gutting the place as in ripping walls down. When it was a restaurant it had really nice wall & ceiling finishes, maybe it was fake.

I don't know how reliable this is but a friend of mine who lives in The Village told me that Starbucks is moving into the Village Rainbow restaurant. (Starbucks really wanted the patio, to compete with The Second Cup) He also claims that George's Play will become a gay piano bar.

Torontovibe:

Good news re: Starbucks - the staircase at the current location has got to be one of the MOST dangerous thing to ever have in a cafe.

AoD

That'd be nice for Starbucks with the patio. I wonder about the piano bar though.

Starbucks?? Interesting! The current location is so tiny and cramped, and often impossible to find space to work on your laptop.

Does the Village really need another piano bar? I didn't think Statlers ever did that well.

Statler's does fairly well, the problem always seems to be conflicts with different partners that keep closing & re-opening it. Walking by former George's Play last night I see that they've stripped the place right down to the original walls but they've retained what looks like a serving bar about halfway down on the right hand side. I'm all for a larger piano bar space, as one gets a little older (ahem), loud pounding music really does keep many from going out and socializing. Maybe that parking lot just to the north could be a 9 or 10 storey building with retirement villas :)
I'm kind of mixed about Starbucks going into Village Rainbow, but they do need more space. Maybe the existing space can be turned into a small restaurant again.

Back