News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 551     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Church-Wellesley Village

Once the Downtown Planning Framework is in place what you suggest won't happen. Further, Yonge, Church and Jarvis are being worked on as designed historical streets so that further helps to keep these areas low-rise/mid-rise and most importantly, protects the heritage in the area.

Heritage and development don't have to come against each other. Protecting heritage doesn't mean everywhere remains low density and everything remains untouched. Paris has 6 times the density of Toronto and it did a hell of a great job of protecting heritage. Development does means building 40 stories glass towers either.

Additionally, not the entire Yonge to Jarvis area are heritage buildings, not sure about the percentage, but I am sure many buildings have nothing to do with heritage and hold little historical value, not to mention empty lots. Walk along these streets and you will see them. So yes, that area will experience inevitable changes. I don't want anywhere to turn into another city place, but let's not pretend that the current state at the Village is optimal and nothing should be done.

Heritage Neighbourhood designations, that's what I was looking for in my last post - I think that's what's it's called.

I agree, there's always some room for improvement but let's face it, save for a couple of neighbourhoods the track record for developers doing good things in good neighbourhoods in Toronto isn't the greatest!

Last edited:
I saw a poster for The Vic at O'Grady's (which always promoted Fuzion events too) but it didn't have a lot of information. 580 is the Fuzion address.

Interesting final verdict: Fuzion has closed and is now the Vic Pub. Look what it says on the Fuzion website... http://www.fuzionexperience.com/

I wonder why the change. Maybe Fuzion's prices were just too high and they weren't busy enough? I personally never went because it was too pricey for a youngin' like me =).

Interesting final verdict: Fuzion has closed and is now the Vic Pub. Look what it says on the Fuzion website... http://www.fuzionexperience.com/

I wonder why the change. Maybe Fuzion's prices were just too high and they weren't busy enough? I personally never went because it was too pricey for a youngin' like me =).

Why hello bigtony.

Last night, I dined at The Vic with a couple of others. The food is slightly higher-end pub food, and not bad at all. The fish and chips are excellent. They have decent beer on tap as well. The inside is a bit dark and dingy.... Overall, I would recommend the place.

It's probably a better fit for Church St. than Fuzion ever was. I found the food at Fuzion underwhelming for the price.

Why hello bigtony.

Last night, I dined at The Vic with a couple of others. The food is slightly higher-end pub food, and not bad at all. The fish and chips are excellent. They have decent beer on tap as well. The inside is a bit dark and dingy.... Overall, I would recommend the place.

It's probably a better fit for Church St. than Fuzion ever was. I found the food at Fuzion underwhelming for the price.

Why hello Roy. Thanks for the info. I'll probably check it out soon! I'm a bit of a foodie and love trying new places. If the prices are more reasonable than Fuzion's, and the food is decent, maybe this place will actually be busy ;-)

I'll be trying the Vic on my annual patio tour May long weekend. Can't wait to visit my favourite city again!

I'd love to share a meal or a beer with any of the forumers that weekend if anyone is around. I'm staying near Allen Gardens.

I just heard that George's Play on Church closed this weekend. Anyone have any info?

The sign on the door says "our lease is officially over, and we are now required to vacate the premises". It doesn't say anything about them reopening in a new location, but it does direct their customers across the street to Flash, which apparently is run by the same people.

The sign on the door says "our lease is officially over, and we are now required to vacate the premises". It doesn't say anything about them reopening in a new location, but it does direct their customers across the street to Flash, which apparently is run by the same people.

Flash was opened by the owner of Play. I guess he planned ahead and opened up another bar, knowing he was going to have to close.

318177_10150816701533085_514448084_9718858_1087503457_n.jpg

I just heard that George's Play on Church closed this weekend. Anyone have any info?

The owner of George's Play, George Pratt, has been trying to move his clientele over to Flash since he got the notice a few months ago, I thought this was old news.
The fellow who lives upstairs finally sold the property, he was the last holdout on this block that the developer who owns the other properties has been waiting for. When I moved into the Alexus condo in '98 or '99 I heard that this whole area was being developed, but the owner of that building was not selling. This is what my real estate friend told me and the gossip around the building, for what it's worth.
Now it's almost impossible to imagine the huge loss to nightlife and the vibrancy of the street that losing all these businesses will have, not to mention a block with plenty of charactor eliminated from the Village, save for the parking lot.

Back