Changes to The National as CBC unveils new look

Brandon716

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/media/story/2009/10/21/cbc-news-renewal.html

Changes to The National as CBC unveils new look

Last Updated: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 | 8:35 PM ET Comments253Recommend129

CBC News

The CBC is launching a new 10-minute late-night local newscast and a 10-minute online version of The National as part of a sweeping set of changes to take effect next Monday.

The CBC-TV version of The National, the public broadcaster's flagship evening newscast, is getting a new look and a new format, the CBC announced Wednesday, though it remains a one-hour show.

And CBC Newsworld, the 24-hour news channel, will be renamed CBC News Network (CBC NN), and see programming changes throughout the day.

The thrust of these changes, which will be rolled out Monday, is to prepare the CBC for a news environment in which consumers want news from a variety of sources, including the internet and mobile phones, according to Richard Stursberg, executive vice-president of CBC English services.

"We've seen the emergence of new news platforms such as mobile and online, while witnessing the decline of newspapers and pressures on news networks," Stursberg said at a press event to launch the new look on Wednesday.

There is also greater emphasis on coverage around the clock.

CBC NN will be geared more to breaking news and The National will continue to end the day with a more nuanced reflection on events, he said.

The online version of The National will be a 10-minute newscast, anchored by Peter Mansbridge and available online from 6 p.m. local time. But viewers will be able to put together their own lineups — selecting the news items they want to see and the order they prefer to see them in to create a customized newscast.

A four-minute version of the newscast will be available by Blackberry or iPhone.

"Of all the changes, this is one of the most significant," Mansbridge said in an interview Wednesday. "What Canadians are telling us is, 'Let me decide what's important.'"

The hour-long version of The National remains in its usual timeslot, at 10 p.m. on CBC-TV, and moves to 6 p.m. on Saturday so it won't interfere with NHL coverage.

But it is to have a faster pace and a new format that includes more business coverage, a consumer segment produced in collaboration with Marketplace and an investigative unit that works with The Fifth Estate.

Wendy Mesley is to appear regularly with a portion of the news show geared toward generating debate on the day's news stories. She will pose a provocative question, give a backgrounder on the issues involved and interact with the public online.

"We're constantly changing," Mansbridge said, adding it is necessary to "understand our audience and the challenges we face in a constantly changing technological world.

"The challenge is how best to use the technology. Just because we change the music and the set, doesn't mean we'll change the way we do the journalism. We won't," he said.
Regular foreign reports

The National will have regular reports from correspondents such as Adrienne Arsenault in London, Neil Macdonald in Washington, Terry Milewski in Ottawa, Reg Sherren in Winnipeg and Mellissa Fung in Toronto, who are dedicated to producing for the late-night newscast, said Mansbridge.

It will be followed by a 10-minute local newscast, produced in each regional centre and airing 10.55 p.m. The CBC introduced 90 minutes of local and national news in the early evening in August, and resources have been reallocated to regional newsrooms to improve coverage, Stursberg said.

CBC News Network also has a new look and changes to its daytime news schedule. Included in the new look is the use of banners that can show local weather or a sneak peek of upcoming stories.

Three high-profile new programs are to be launched:
The Lang & O'Leary Exchange, a business program running Monday to Friday, 4:30 p.m. to 5 p.m., hosted by Amanda Lang and Kevin O'Leary.
Power & Politics, a political program running Monday to Friday, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., hosted by Evan Solomon.
Connect with Mark Kelley, where Kelley is to be joined by Reshmi Nair to host a news talk show Monday to Friday, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

The news renewal process has been going on for two years and responds to research into what Canadians think of CBC and its news coverage, said Jennifer McGuire, general manager and editor in chief of CBC News.

O'Malley will do her insider blog daily from Ottawa and there will be a CBCNews.ca page devoted to politics that includes features by other reporters.

Among the concerns these changes are meant to address is a request by viewers and listeners for more transparency in the news-gathering process.

This will result in a new approach to news reporting, McGuire said.

"We will be telling Canadians how we know what we know and what we don't know about any story," she said.

"For example, when we put up the Robert Fowler story on The National, we included a line about CBC's journalistic position on dealing with kidnapping."

Fowler is the Canadian diplomat who spent four months as a hostage of al-Qaeda, and CBC rules on reporting hostage situations are sensitive because of the kidnapping earlier this year of CBC correspondent Fung.

More than 1,000 people within the CBC News organization have been reassigned across the country to accommodate the changes, which affect radio, television and online news.

The changes are being made in a climate of straitened circumstances after CBC English Services cut $7 million from its news budget this year, but McGuire said CBC has reorganized its newsgathering process to be more efficient.

The changes to the programs and the change in Newsworld's name have been tested on audiences across the country, she said.

And McGuire said Monday's new look is just the beginning — more changes can be expected as the CBC sees how audiences respond, she said.

I was skeptical at first, but after seeing CBC News Toronto and The National's new refreshed look I am liking what I see. The news soundtracks are very impressive as are the standing setups. The reporting seems mostly the same, so that is most important.

I find the constantly shifting background very annoying, unnecessary and a distraction from the business at hand of informing. Is this a ploy to attract the Much Music crowd? Poor Peter looks like he's a weary wiener vendor attending to his glass cart on King Street West. I hope they don't force the At Issue panel to stand in their respective studios as they share their insights or will they be replaced by Ben Mulroney, Jeanne Beker and Seamus O'Regan. The whole make-over seems like an exercise in dumbing down what was a thoughtful news programme.

Last edited:
All part of the effort to package TV news as entertainment - without admitting that it is being packaged as entertainment.

The CBC has reached a balanced approach in this new infotainment age. They are still providing serious reporting and investigative reporting, but delivering it in a more attention getting way. Its not like the news has went to opinion.

While I like the BBC, it can be a bit too dry at times. The new CBC format is a move toward luring people in with non-news aspects, but I was most concerned with the content. So far it looks the same. The only thing drawing people in is a physically different delivery method than what people are used to, not a change in the content.

That was what I focused on when viewing the newscasts over the past week.

I'll give them credit for listening to Canadians, reinvesting in the news division and not being afriad of trying new things.

However, I don't think what people say they want from a newscast is necessarily what they actually want. I also appreciate News Network becoming more of a "wheel" format and don't mind the general flow of it, but it is doing all the things we accuse the U.S. channels of doing: being personality driven, shorter reporting, sitting on a major story all day, calling everything "breaking news," etc. It's still finding its way, but there's definitely some dumbing-down going on there. They are definitely trying new things as well, but there's still too many trial balloons flying aimlessly that need to be popped. After only 10 days, I think that is quite obvious.

My biggest concern is The National. I only watched it the first two nights and then gave up. I'll go back in a week or so hoping that they've fixed some of the problems, but honestly my heart just sank. I didn't see a newscast of authority anymore, but instead something quite the opposite. Yes, Peter needs to sit, yes it needs an opening, yes it needs to tone it down a bit. However, even if they did all that, it just doesn't look/feel important anymore. They've changed the reporting style to something like City-TV where the lead stories aren't the actual important ones and instead of talking to experts they do "streeters" with people who don't know what they are takling about and simply just waste my time.

Still, I'll give it a bit more time...

^I've obviously been indoctrinated by MSNBC and Fox News for far too long, it still seems like genuine news to me. Hard to tell from an American perspective.

That's the problem: maybe the CBC is trying to imitate something of what's going on at those networks. Whether it's the trenchant political positions taken on Fox, or the glib "Entertainment Tonight" presentation found on countless other news programs, the risk is that the CBC will trade in its credibility for popularity (or at least programmers perceptions of what is supposed to be popular).

That's the problem: maybe the CBC is trying to imitate something of what's going on at those networks. Whether it's the trenchant political positions taken on Fox, or the glib "Entertainment Tonight" presentation found on countless other news programs, the risk is that the CBC will trade in its credibility for popularity (or at least programmers perceptions of what is supposed to be popular).

I don't see it the same way. The new CBC look doesn't mimic CNN or MSNBC or Fox, what it does is make the news more headline oriented with flashier graphics.

The actual content is still headline and non-opinion hard news with op/ed's like Rex Murphy as part of a larger package... In other words its still traditional news.

I don't have the ability to watch CBC News Network from the cable system here in Buffalo, so I can't see the changes that happened there, but the traditional programming doesn't seem that vastly changed. Changed yes, but it wasn't altered beyond recognition.

I hadn't seen the first three episodes of the new National format, the first two days sound horrible.

I too now stand while watching the National.

Seriously, the worst of the changes is this new show called Connect with Mark Kelley. It is the worst case of 'news light' I have seen on the network. Instead of the day's news, etc., the show consists of fluff pieces about the news (or just plain old fluff pieces). And this sad excuse for a news show lasts 2 hours! In prime time. If I want the news, I switch over to BBC.

They should repeat the The Lang & O'Leary Exchange and have a best of Power & Politics. For those of us who have day jobs, the shows are missed by being on in the afternoon. And they can save money. And they can actually appear to be an informative news channel. They win in two ways.

Last edited:
Watchign CBC News Network yesterday, it semed to have morphed into a parrot of everything CNN, right down to always displaying either "BREAKING NEWS" or "DEVELOPING STORY" on screen.

Unfortunately, they just suck at emulating the fake urgency that makes "infotainment" enjoyable and have damaged their credibility in the process.

I too now stand while watching the National.

Seriously, the worst of the changes is this new show called Connect with Mark Kelley. It is the worst case of 'news light' I have seen on the network. Instead of the day's news, etc., the show consists of fluff pieces about the news (or just plain old fluff pieces). And this sad excuse for a news show lasts 2 hours! In prime time. If I want the news, I switch over to BBC.

They should repeat the The Lang & O'Leary Exchange and have a best of Power & Politics. For those of us who have day jobs, the shows are missed by being on in the afternoon. And they can save money. And they can actually appear to be an informative news channel. They win in two ways.
Connect with Mark Kelley is awful. CBC Newsworld was an excellent channel, my favorite by far for in-depth, reliable news coverage and they completely ruined it with the new instant gratification-catering CBCNN.

They could have at least came up with a more original name...

Back