News   May 09, 2024
 458     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 786     1 
News   May 09, 2024
 537     0 

CATHEDRAL SQUARE - fictional piazza concept

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of those who love this idea. Great job on the render. I hope we can at least drum up some publicity for the idea--maybe get it out to the 'average citizen', and see if they demand something like this. Dundas Sq. seems to be a success (the square), so there is no reason to believe people all over the city wouldn't love this idea.

Thanks for the bump Tony.

You've inspired me to spam the city planner, architects (as of 2005 anyway) and the owner... as I claimed I would but never did.

Any other CATH SQ spammers out there?

No, Adam this is not another invitation to hijack ... you r o so brilliant... but no more needy, erudite (often) obscure references needed here... it's just a playground for those of us who can't extract oxygen in higher elevations.

Good for you Darkstar... baby steps.

Who knows, one day there may be a "voice". I wonder if any other 1000 strong forums have morphed into real action (informal or formal) based on agreeing to disagree... and occasionally agreeing to agree?

maybe you'd want to send your proposal to the TSA (toronto society of architects). when i went to their meeting last night, they seemed quite open about different ideas and things of that nature. they welcomed people to send them emails about events, concepts, etc.

Smucky... in the spirit of teamwork.. why don't you send it on? I doubt there will be any direct benefit given the nature of the organization, but maybe you could help sell UT as an entity worth auditing by industry professionals... good arguments, occasional good ideas etc.

I really like the render. All the cities in Europe have public squares like that. Nice places to relax and have lunch or dinner or a beer. Usually with a focal point that draws the tourists, like the clock in Prague.

this is a fantastic idea 3D. We should lobby the Provincial govt' to expropriate the land and build this baby!! I'm also loving the 2 towers. Wish we could get a few of those.

You are actually the first one to mention the towers... they were fun to make but I think any kind of tower design is secondary to the square... it's odd for a skyscraper geek to be pleased that so little discussion of the towers has unfolded... but in this case, it reaffirms the strength of the piazza concept itself.

Here's the thoughtful feedback I've received in the last few weeks:

Gary Wright (acting) planner:

" ____________."

"_____________ ?"

"__________ ."

Kyle Rae (councillor):

" ______________ ?"

" _____________________________________________."

Kyle's EA: "is the site really that big?"

If you ain't on the inside, you're on the outside... though one would have thought a simple comment from an elected public servant (who also happens to be my own councillor) would have been courteous/judicious. :)

Cathedral Square is being looked at by some very deep pocket folks on the development scene. I don't really expect anything to come of it but let's face it, it's much more fun when some unsolicited scribbles actually get "reviewed".

Cathedral Square is being looked at by some very deep pocket folks on the development scene. I don't really expect anything to come of it but let's face it, it's much more fun when some unsolicited scribbles actually get "reviewed".

You took the plans to developers? Hopefully you chose PenEquity.

Back