News   Mar 18, 2024
 661     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 752     0 

Canadian Tire

I had an awful experience there before Christmas at the Yonge & Dundas store. The customer service of Canadian Tire is just the worst ever.

I had an awful experience there before Christmas at the Yonge & Dundas store. The customer service of Canadian Tire is just the worst ever.

Depends on the store, as they are all independent businesses. Leslie and Lakeshore is amazing. I always go out of the way to shop there when I need something from CT.

This is a problem with all big box stores and not exclusive to Canadian Tire.

That is because big box is designed to be completely self service, and that has always been the goal of big box retailers. Staff are there to keep product flowing from the truck to the shelf. They do not need to be experts on the product, and they do not need to be good at customer service. It's what allows big box stores to offer lower prices than specialty stores. The typical customer comes in knowing what they want, how to find it, and willing to buy it. This is the customer that the stores are designed for, and this is the customer that has lead to the growth of the big box concept.

If you are looking for better service, big box is the last place you will find it. Smaller specialty stores offer much better service, but usually come with a price that matches the level of service.

Last edited:
There is a major difference between Apple Store and Best Buy/Future Shop. Though both sell Apple products, the employees in the Apple Store are much more knowledgeable, while Best Buy and Future Shop provide discounts to standard Macs (no BTOs, unlike the online Apple Store).

Correct. It is not meant to be a stand-alone store, as that would cannibalize the sales of another nearby store. This is just an extension of a store. (They are actually hoping to eventually have it connected to the main store)

Finding a store with an opportunity to take over a large amount of space next door is next to impossible. If the opportunity does arise, and the owner of the store is willing to put money into opening a show room, there may be another one... but there are just way too many variables that need to line up for that to happen.

Same thing with the express store concept. It is just an extension of an existing store. The Danforth Express location is owned by the dealer at Leslie/Lakeshore. All of the product and staff comes directly from there.

That "Canadian Tire Showroom" on Eglinton just east of Laird is closed for renovation. Opening is scheduled for next month.

From what I had read here, I thought it was already redone.

Is the Showroom closed for actual renovations, or is that just the word they are using to describe what they are doing to get displays ready for the spring and summer outdoor merchandise? (More a question for Tuscani than Ex-MG)

The Showroom was fantastic at Christmas. But I would imagine that they need a fair amount of time to set up that entire space for seasonal merchandise.

Is the Showroom closed for actual renovations, or is that just the word they are using to describe what they are doing to get displays ready for the spring and summer outdoor merchandise? (More a question for Tuscani than Ex-MG)

The Showroom was fantastic at Christmas. But I would imagine that they need a fair amount of time to set up that entire space for seasonal merchandise.

I was being driven east along Eg and we got delayed in the rush hour traffic. From my vantage point, the windows seemed kind of papered over, with a huge banner saying "Re-opening March 2015" and MAYBE, I don't recall for sure, "Under renovation."

Corp is no longer involved with it (space is now being planned by the store itself), so I am not entirely sure what is going on with it. I suspect its just the seasonal changeover though. A March reopening aligns with the Spring product launch.

Last edited:
Sneak peak at the Edmonton flagship that is open as of today (Grand opening June 11th):

01- Exterior.jpg
02 - Main Level Entry - View Down Power Aisle.jpg
05 - Kitchen Demo&Tasting Bar.jpg
06 - Paint.jpg
16 - View From Upper level to Lower Level.jpg
11 - Best of Edmonton.jpg

This concept is also coming to Mississauga (Mavis/Dundas) as well as an Ottawa store.

Attachments

• 01- Exterior.jpg
    01- Exterior.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 949
  • 02 - Main Level Entry - View Down Power Aisle.jpg
    02 - Main Level Entry - View Down Power Aisle.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 998
  • 05 - Kitchen Demo&Tasting Bar.jpg
    05 - Kitchen Demo&Tasting Bar.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 948
  • 06 - Paint.jpg
    06 - Paint.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 956
  • 16 - View From Upper level to Lower Level.jpg
    16 - View From Upper level to Lower Level.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 966
  • 11 - Best of Edmonton.jpg
    11 - Best of Edmonton.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 931
Last edited:
Looks great, both interior and exterior. The exterior is somewhat reminiscent of some of the renovated Loblaws stores here in TO (Leslie, Redway, etc.)

Loblaw.jpg

Attachments

• Loblaw.jpg
    Loblaw.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,413
Overall it looks great. Appears very spacious. Any idea what the building/showroom square footage is?

137,000 retail sq. ft. over 2 floors (51,716 retail sq. ft. larger than the next closest store in size). 15,500 sq.ft of the space is dedicated to "Showroom".

It's amazing how putting a tiny bit of effort into designing both the interior and exterior can make such a huge difference. I hope they start renovating their stores to make them share this design direction.

Back