News   May 03, 2024
 703     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 452     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 233     0 

Canadian patriotism... Or lack of...

I don't know about you guys, but I've been feeling more Canadian than ever since the middle of the decade. I think that Canada is still developing it's identity. First, we were just a rather large arm of Britain. Then, we're the children of the USA. I think that this century will see us forge our own identity and national significance. Of course, it'll take some good leaders to get things done and, while people say population doesn't matter, we should probably allow more immigrants in to boost our workforce and ethnic, cultural and skill diversity.

I think that a combination of gradually becoming more and more anti-American coming out of the cold war, and especially after Bush; and the 2010 olympics have created a perfect but simple catalyst for a new feeling of national identity and unity. Anyone else getting that feeling?

I think that there are really four types of patriotism in Canada that have roots going pretty far back in our history.

First there is a British patriotism, or a Loyalist patriotism. Based on the United Empire Loyalists, this patriotism emphasizes our links with Britain/the Commonwealth. Historically, these patriots wanted to remain part of the British Empire and saw the US as a threat. Today, they've given up on Canada as part of the Empire, instead focusing on our role in the Commonwealth, the monarchy, etc. They take British nationalism as a model to emulate here. They're more likely to identify with symbols like the Red Ensign, the Maple Leaf Forever, and God Save the Queen. They're also more likely to see Canada as the child of Britain, sibling of Australia, New Zealand, etc., and perhaps as a distant cousin of the US.

Secondly, there is an American patriotism. Based on the revolutionary segment of the population that supported the rebellions in 1837, historically they've called for greater continental integration. Some have even called for annexation to the US at times. Today they're more likely to take their cues on Canadian patriotism from American patriotism. For example, they're more likely to emphasize "the Canadian dream," and more likely to use slogans imported from the US like "Support our Troops," "God bless Canada," etc. They are much more likely to support the idea of a Canadian republic, and see Canada and the US as close siblings.

The third force in Canadian patriotism is regionalism. Historically this sentiment is rooted in anti-Confederatation sentiments in Atlantic Canada, Quebecois nationalism, Western alienation, etc. People following in this tradition are more likely to feel patriotism for their province/region than for the country as a whole. They're more likely to see Canada as a dysfunctional family of regions.

The final type of patriotism is what I'll call "by ourselves" patriotism. This is probably the newest form of Canadian patriotism that emphasizes in its purest forms a Canada free of outside influence (whether from Britain or the US). They're more likely to use slogans like "a made in Canada solution," "Bush lite," etc. They like the maple leaf flag, O Canada, and see bilingualism and multiculturalism as the fundamental values upon which the country works. They often ally themselves with the first type of patriot against American influence in Canada, though they have much less nostalgia for a history of WASP ascendancy. They're more likely to see Britain as a tyrannical parent figure that we've unfortunately replaced with big brother USA.

The first and last types of patriotism are more likely to embrace anti-Americanism as they both see the US as the cultural threat to Canada. And of course, very few people actually fall into one of these categories completely. Your average Canadian identifies with symbols promoted by all four camps to various degrees, and probably doesn't think about it all that much.

However, there are many reasons I can think of as to why Canadian patriotism has never really caught on. One rather interesting theory I came across about a year ago (I can't remember exactly where I was introduced to this idea though), is that a lot of this aversion towards Canadian nationalism comes from our Celtic heritage. By the mid-19th Century, and even to this day, those who can claim an Irish or Scottish heritage combined is larger than both English and French histories. The theory goes that the ancestors of these people left Ireland and Scotland due to oppression from their English overlords, and that these people came to Canada only to live in a different house under the same master. If not already robbed of much of their language and culture in their homelands, these things were intentionally stamped out in Canada. Keep in mind that Gaelic (Irish and Scottish Gaelic were not identified as distinct from each other at this time) was once the third most spoken language in Canada, that there were many monolingually Gaelic parts of the country (parts of Cape Breton, PEI, the Avalon Peninsula, and Eastern Ontario), and that at one point Parliament actually debated making Gaelic Canada's third official language. Apparently, these people, already colonized minds in their homeland, continued to be colonized in another country. They faced many of the same problems with ethnic and religious discrimination, and rarely got the best farmland available. The people never really could identify with English-dominated Canada even after they had largely assimilated into Canadian culture, and being such a large portion of the Canadian population, this meant that Canadian nationalism never could catch on. There is too much a history of exclusion here.

Even if we look at it now, this part of Canadian history is largely glossed over. Because they happened in another part of the world entirely, perhaps we never will come to terms with the traumas that were the Irish Potato Famine or the Highland clearances - traumas that still affected many Canadians only a generation or two ago, and may even still to this day.

Another reason why patriotism may not have ever caught on is what I'll call the Susanna Moodie problem. If you're unfamiliar with Susanna Moodie, she was an English immigrant who lived for a while just outside of Peterborough and (like her sister Catharine Parr Traill) wrote about pioneer life in the early 19th Century. One theme that consistently pops up in her work is her alienation from the landscape. Canada, to her, was a barren wasteland. The Canadian wilderness is something to live in fear of - a constantly looming and immensely large threat to our safety and even our sanity. She finds herself at a loss, unable to relate to Canadian natural life - without a vocabulary to describe it. There is a case to be made that Canadians, aside from our Aboriginal peoples, have never gotten over this alienation from the landscape. It is still foreign, still wild, and still a threat. Margaret Atwood, for example, still picks up on this theme especially in (but not limited to) her Journals of Susanna Moodie. We find solace from this threat of the wilderness in clinging to the memories of our homelands. This is different from the American experience of conquering nature that allows them to cut the apron strings.

Both of these reasons - the Celtic experience of Canada and our alienation from the landscape - are pretty powerfully represented in Canadian cultural output. I cannot think of many non-Indigenous Canadian novels, for example, that are not in some way influenced by these conceptions of our country.

Epic post, lesouris. Quite thought-provoking :)

I agree with your four main types of Canadian patriotism. I think that the majority is a combination of strong Regionalism and "By ourselves" patriotism. As a whole, we are Canadian, but each region is unique and distinct. This has created hell for politics in the country, and after ensuring we are as sustainable a country as possible in every sense, I think that the most important thing we should do is make politics as smooth as possible. Right now, the country is split in four major pieces; the Maritimes, Quebec, Ontario, and the West. More specifically, there are the needs of Northern Ontario, Northern BC, Saskatchewan, Natives and Inuit in Northern Quebec, and the territories among them. Very soon, we will need to restructure our political system so we can run the country better. Don't even ask though, because I have no idea how such a mythical contraption could work.

Unfortunately, I'll have to disagree with those ideas about why Canadian Patriotism hasn't caught on. Things have just changed too much from that time when those things you explained currently mattered, and they don't seem to have the ability to stick through the years. They could certainly add depth to ideas at the turn of the century (the 20th century, that is,) but I don't think they're relevant today in much of a significant sense.
Honestly, I think that today, the biggest reason for a lack of Canadian patriotism is the US. Not to be a "by ourselves"-ist, but they really have influenced Canadian culture considerably, to the point of almost absorbing us culturally. In fact, there was a point that I'd consider ourselves within the US bubble almost entirely but, again, we seem to quickly be retreating from that stance. Now that we're taking a step back, we see what we are; a small country, with vast amounts of resources but not a lot of people, next to the "biggest" country in the world. I guess that this is something like what Mongolia is going to be feeling in 20 years! :p

Canadian patriotism is still emerging, but I don't think it will ever be strong like Britain or the US. The way we've gone into the modern era, it seems like we thought "We'll never be like the US, so let's just screw it and have fun!" Hence, our awesome coinage, fun parliamentary debates, and love of making fun of ourselves. But we're coming to the point that being Canadian is getting defined very clearly, and that is not very clearly defined at all. All you have to do is get people to put a checkmark on a piece of paper, sing some song, and accept that we're all people, all equals.

Given that, at tops, 120,000 aboriginal children attended residential schools in Canada from 1880 to 1970, you are suggesting that half died.

Just a tad curious where you got that number.

Just look up Kevin Annett, who is a church minister. I did a search and actually found 90,000. I also found number as low as 50,000.

According to Kevin Annett, the Canadian residential schools had a death rate at least twice that of Auschwitz. Auschwitz had a death rate of around 30 percent, so at least 60% of aboriginal children died in the residential schools. So the 90,000 figure is most likely (75% death rate).

http://bsnorrell.blogspot.com/2009/02/indian-boarding-schools-auschwitz-in.html

http://www.indigenousportal.com/North-America/Unrepentant-Kevin-Arnette-and-Canada-s-Genocide.html

http://hiddenfromhistory.org/

This is what Canadian nationalism and patriotism get you: schools that are twice as deadly as a Nazi concentration camp.

Last edited:
Just look up Kevin Annett, who is a church minister. I did a search and actually found 90,000. I also found number as low as 50,000.

According to Kevin Annett, the Canadian residential schools had a death rate at least twice that of Auschwitz. Auschwitz had a death rate of around 30 percent, so at least 60% of aboriginal children died in the residential schools. So the 90,000 figure is most likely (75% death rate).

http://www.indigenousportal.com/North-America/Unrepentant-Kevin-Arnette-and-Canada-s-Genocide.html

This is what Canadian nationalism and patriotism get you: schools that are twice as deadly as a Nazi concentration camp.
Heh, are you sure that's not the amount of people dead who attended residential schools vs. people who attended? Residential schools were bad, but they weren't terrible, and definitely not Auschwitz.

Heh, are you sure that's not the amount of people dead who attended residential schools vs. people who attended? Residential schools were bad, but they weren't terrible, and definitely not Auschwitz.

TB outbreaks killed a horrifically large chunk of students during the first few decades of the 20th centuries. I don't have time to look it up right now, but there was a report that recommended ways to change the schooling system to slow the spread of TB and other diseases. This guy said it would cost too much to make the changes (one of the many awful things he did while in office). Today it costs too much to relocate Kashechewan, to build schools, and to provide safe drinking water to dozens of First Nations communities. I guess we haven't really learnt that much.

Robert MacNeil, a Canadian journalist that hosted the McNeil/Lehrer Newshour for 20 years on America's PBS TV network, was asked why he never became an American citizen, having resided in the U.S. for decades. His answer was that changing from his Canadian citizenship would be like changing his religion. For him, patriotism was like a religion. This is how I see patriotism as well. It can't be confined to geographic borders and it isn't so easy to change. We can't expect a Canadian to stop feeling Canadian once he travels to America; likewise, to expect someone coming from Poland or Portugal to become a Canadian patriot just they are bounded by three oceans and the 49th Parallel is equally obsurd.

Patriotism, like religion, can be used for good purposes, but can also be misused. It can be used to amplify trivial differences (e.g., sports loyalties). Like religions, some patriots are fervent believers, others are fair-weather fans, and others are apathetic. If you accept Robert MacNeil's premise of patriotism being like a religion, then it shouldn't come as a surprise that Canada being a less-religious nation than America would also be a less-patriotic nation as well.

TB outbreaks killed a horrifically large chunk of students during the first few decades of the 20th centuries. I don't have time to look it up right now, but there was a report that recommended ways to change the schooling system to slow the spread of TB and other diseases. This guy said it would cost too much to make the changes (one of the many awful things he did while in office). Today it costs too much to relocate Kashechewan, to build schools, and to provide safe drinking water to dozens of First Nations communities. I guess we haven't really learnt that much.

In the 20's a law was passed that actual prohibited children from getting medical check ups. And then there is torture and sexual abuse, which has already been pretty well documented. And then there was another law passed in the 20's:

In 1928 the Alberta Legislature passed the Sexual Sterilization Act, allowing any residential school inmate to be involuntarily sterilized under authority of the principal (after 1929, school principals were the legal guardians of all students). It remained in effect until 1973, and at least 8500 women and children were sterilized under this law. In 1933 B.C. passed an identical law. The three major sterilization centres became R.W. Large Hospital in Bella Bella (B.C.), the Nanaimo Indian Hospital, and Charles Camsell Hospital.

http://dignityjournal.blogspot.com/2008/06/possible-mass-grave-of-residential.html

Yes, residential school inmates were intentionally and forcibly sterilized with the blessing of the government. So the deaths in the schools were not due to cost-cutting measures. The deaths were the result of an intention to kill. The residential schools caused so much death because they were designed to eradicate the Native American population in Canada. They were nothing more than death and torture camps.

There are mass graves all over Canada at residential school sites. Just think about that. If the schools were not so deadly, then why are there so many mass graves? If it is not so bad, then why are the discoveries of mass graves blacked out by the media? Why does the government go through so much effort to hide or destroy the evidence?

Here is a article about the discovery of the mass graves:
http://www.hiddenfromhistory.org/Re...ionofMassGravesRevealed/tabid/71/Default.aspx

Here is a quote from one of the sites I mentioned previously, about the governments' attempts to destroy the evidence:

“There’s still a killing field at Haskell,†Means said. Means said at Haskell boarding school, now Haskell Indian Nations University, there is a mass grave of Indian children beneath a building. A building was built over the mass grave to hide the evidence and the college denied the existence of the grave, he said.

In southeastern BC, Annett said a golf course was built over the site of a mass grave of Indian children. The government of Canada convinced the band council to go along with this.

But that is nationalism right there. That's assimilation. Destroy minority cultures and then hide the evidence and try to rewrite history, like a holocaust denier. So I say, all those here who has express support for assimilation and distaste for multiculturalism had best think again.

Nationalism and assimilation = genocide and holocaust.

I am proud to be a Canadian and very proud of the first nations people of Canada who strive for recognition of their abuse at the hands of the church and the Canadian government.

Somehow I just knew you were going to cite sources like these - sources that cite no actual evidence or data, but simply have their own political axe to grind.

Ah well, if it gives you opportunity to hate then nothing will stop you, will it? Given your distorted comparison to Nazi death camps, it's clear that actual facts are not about to get in your way.

There are mass graves all over Canada at residential school sites. Just think about that. If the schools were not so deadly, then why are there so many mass graves? If it is not so bad, then why are the discoveries of mass graves blacked out by the media? Why does the government go through so much effort to hide or destroy the evidence?

You say that there are "mass graves all around Canada" but fail to point out that there is zero evidence to support the numbers of deaths that you claim. It's thoroughly comical to think successive band councils would somehow go along for the ride in lying about mass graves at government suggestion for something like a golf course. Evidence of an actual mass grave such as the ones you are asserting would radically transform the community in question. But no such evidence is being found - or looked for - because people know there is nothing to be found.

The supposed "blackout" by the media is also laughable. What you are claiming here is a broad-based and on-going collusion over a period of multiple decades by hundreds - if not thousands - of people who actively seek out news stories for a living. I suppose that you would also include in that conspiracy the large number of historians (both domestic and foreign) who have actually studied the history of these schools in some detail.

Again your assertion regarding the number of deaths at residential schools is utterly without basis.

Yes, residential school inmates were intentionally and forcibly sterilized with the blessing of the government.

The vast majority of people who were sterilized were, in fact, not aboriginal. These laws were based on eugenics beliefs, and the majority of individuals who were sterilized suffered from physical infirmities or from mental illness.

Epic post, lesouris. Quite thought-provoking :)

Thanks.
Unfortunately, I'll have to disagree with those ideas about why Canadian Patriotism hasn't caught on. Things have just changed too much from that time when those things you explained currently mattered, and they don't seem to have the ability to stick through the years. They could certainly add depth to ideas at the turn of the century (the 20th century, that is,) but I don't think they're relevant today in much of a significant sense.
Honestly, I think that today, the biggest reason for a lack of Canadian patriotism is the US. Not to be a "by ourselves"-ist, but they really have influenced Canadian culture considerably, to the point of almost absorbing us culturally. In fact, there was a point that I'd consider ourselves within the US bubble almost entirely but, again, we seem to quickly be retreating from that stance. Now that we're taking a step back, we see what we are; a small country, with vast amounts of resources but not a lot of people, next to the "biggest" country in the world. I guess that this is something like what Mongolia is going to be feeling in 20 years! :p

Certainly, in most parts of Canada our Celtic populations have pretty much completely assimilated into the Anglo- or Franco-Canadian majority culture. There are still some parts of the country where Celtic influence has led to the formation of some of those regional identities I mentioned in my previous post (Cape Breton, Newfoundland, etc). However, I believe that that legacy of exclusion from that Anglo-centric patriotism (the God Save the Queen type) in the past is still very relevant today and played a huge role in how our country's national (I use the term loosely) conscience evolved.

The question that it comes down to in my mind is: would Canada, or even English Canada in isolation, have so easily abandoned that British-oriented nationalism if the entire settler population had been uniformly included in it? Would we have been as open as we are to ideas like multiculturalism had distinctions in identity (English, Irish, Scottish) disappeared in favour of one British North American identity? I think not.

It's hard to understand now that divisions between English, Irish, and Scottish actually mattered quite a bit only a few generations ago, especially given the secularization of Canadian society that diminished the most obvious symbols of these divisions. This is a huge simplification, but we can generally identify the English population with the Anglican Church, the Scottish population with the Presbyterian Church, and the Irish population with the Roman Catholic Church in most of English Canada pre-mass immigration from elsewhere in Europe and the world. I say this is a simplification because the reality was much more complex and nuanced. There were, of course, Irish Anglicans and Presbyterians, Scottish Catholics (especially in the aftermath of the Highland clearances) and Episcopalians (Anglicans), and various English Nonconformists (Methodists, Baptists, Presbyterians, etc.). I cite these denominations only as perhaps the longest enduring symbol of these cultural divisions and divisions in identity and not as hard and fast rules.

We can see these divisions at play in Margaret Laurence's 1970 A Bird In the House set in the 1930s and 40s in small town Manitoba. In the book, the main character's mother's family is Irish Protestant. Her grandparents were Methodists until the Union with Presbyterian Church in 1925 (becoming the United Church). They become Baptists because the grandfather doesn't want to be associated with the Scottish Presbyterians who were brought into the fold. The grandfather's brother identifies strongly with their Irish roots and goes around singing patriotic republican songs associating himself with Catholics (the absolute worst thing to do apparently), though he has never been to Ireland. The main character's paternal family is Scottish and I believe Anglican (I last read this book many years ago). They've always looked down on the mother's family because they are Irish (though at least not Catholic), and their Anglican faith aligns them with the town's elite. A complicated dynamic, but an important one. The combination of your ethnic origin and denomination basically pegs where you are on the social ladder and how you fit into the Canadian settler community.

In the novel (which is not the sole example of this idea of Canada at work, but a rather convenient one), it is the Scottish Anglican side of the family that identifies with the British nationalist vision of Canada. The father's mother has a painting of Wellington hanging in the house, her sons fought in the Great War, and she exudes the Rememberance Day Parade solemnity/stiff-upper-lip mentality that comes to characterize this patriotism.

So we see a hierarchy form that represents the hierarchical organization of the original multicultural settler Canada. On the top you have the English and the Anglicans, under them you have other Protestants from the three countries who all apparently detest each other, and on the bottom Irish Catholics (French Catholics probably in a similar position, with Aboriginal peoples way at the bottom). The nationalism Canadians felt - one inextricably tied to ideas of Empire and British superiority - becomes the domain of those higher up in this hierarchy. Those in lower positions are not included in this idea of Canada. Take, for example, the role of the Orange Order in cementing and celebrating this vision of Canadian nationalism. Like the Orange Order, it completely excludes the large non-Protestant population of the country (Irish and French Catholics, a small, but rapidly expanding Jewish population). The key point, though, is that this mentality of Canadian nationalism completely glossed over the atrocities commited by Britain that led to a good chunk of our Irish and Scottish communities forming - the worst of which, the Famine, the Clearances, live on in the communities to this day.

To give an example, I will use my own family history. All of my grandparents grew up in similar levels of poverty (they called it the Depression for a reason). My mother's mother is Irish Catholic, raised in a small town in Southwestern Ontario after her parents relocated from Northumberland County to try their luck in the oil fields near Petrolia (the Fort Mac of its day). Parts of her family have been in Canada since the 1800s, but most of her ancestors came here during the Famine. My father's mother grew up in the Junction after her family relocated from Victoria County (today's Kawartha Lakes). She is English and Anglican. Though she has a few drops of Loyalist blood in her veins, most of her ancestors came to Canada in the early 19th Century. Of the two grandmothers, guess which one is horribly nostalgic for those "God Save the Queen" days. Guess which one fondly remembers royal visits and the Eaton's store decked out in Union Jacks. Guess which one is hesitant towards mutliculturalism (I wouldn't say she's racist, but she does believe in a policy of strong assimilation). Conversely, guess which one shows no love lost for the sectarian past that she identifies "God Save the Queen" nationalism with. Guess which one has embraced multiculturalism and finds herself today attending Muslim funerals and Sikh weddings comfortably. Guess which one voted for Trudeau. It's anecdotal, I know, but their stories of yesterday's Canada have informed my impression of the development of Canadian identity more than anything really.

So, I would argue that a good chunk, maybe even a majority of Canadians pre-WWII were at some level excluded from Canadian nationalism, especially given the fact that before 1947 we were still British subjects and not Canadian citizens. It was a British nationalism in a Canadian setting that priviledged English ideas, English religion, the English language, English blood, etc. That vision of Canada, and that form of Canadian nationalism, could never become universal in Canada because it was based so much in exclusion. So when it fell apart, there was only really one segment of the population that missed it.

We can compare (as we often do when Canadian identity comes up) to the experience in the United States where their patriotism has always been about its universality. The US had its poor Irish Catholics too, and many other groups that were (and are) excluded - even to a greater degree (i.e. African Americans). Unlike in Canada though, these excluded Americans had the American dream to aspire to. American patriotism, founded on things like the Bill of Rights, etc., carries the promise of universal inclusion. Unlike Canadian British nationalism, it holds the idea that "All men are created equally" dear, so even when inequalities existed, disadvantaged Americans could look to the founding principles of the country to find inspiration against the hypocrisy of those oppressing them.

Well that's at least one dimension of how the Celtic experience shaped how we view patriotism today. There is the argument that the Celtic experience of Canada has invloved colonized minds displaced from their colonized lands to another colony, an interesting if not ridiculously abstract idea, which I could get into, but I feel this post is long enough as it is right now. Ditto the alienation from the landscape thing. I'll return to this thread later to elaborate on both of these ideas later probably, assuming anyone is actually interested :p.

Fascinating, lesouris. I've made some vaguely similar observations growing up here, albeit scattered and from a significant cultural distance, but you've connected things up for me nicely. Thank you!

Growing up in the sticks myself, it was always amusing playing "guess the ethnic origin of that farm(er)" game. Irish and Scots farms always were run down; the rare English farm was very neat and tidy and prosperous looking (the farmer most likely to drive a Range Rover or BMW or Japanese truck); the German (meaning Mennonite almost exclusively) farm very tidy, especially so on the Sabbath, with all the farm equipment always kept clean and parked neatly. As the 80's dawned, more Dutch farmers moved in...very modern barns but otherwise rather junky... :p Of course each ethnicity mostly kept to themselves, or rather, kept to their church group. The English farmer was always the model of genteel respectability it seemed....:) They owned the cottage, lead the Canadian patriotism in the community, etc.

(I belonged to none of the groups, so played the role of observer.)

I believe that since many pre-1940 Canadian immigrants settled on farms first and foremost, the isolation from society kept the people from forming a solid sense of National Identity. Post 1940's Canada, the immigrant tended to settle in urban areas, mostly in pockets of ethnic enclaves with the focus on church and family. Thus, lack of Nationalism in Urban Canada. In 2010 Canada, it's far too early for the resulting mix to call itself one nation. (Those with Canadian roots pre-1940's and White French culture in Quebec, on the other hand....:))

Last edited:
There is no Canadian identity. If national identity was outdated could not achieved with genocide 100 years ago, it is an even more absurd concept today in an increasingly globalized world. I proud not to be "Canadian," proud nto to be patriotic. Patriotism is like religious fundamentalism really, and I am an atheist. God keep our land? No thanks.

I was born in Britain, moved to Canada, consider myself both a Brit and a Canuck, same queen on the money, more or less same parliamentary, legal and financial systems. I'm patriotic for the entire package.

I've often wondered though if kids born in Canada to immigrants from some of the booming economies like India somehow feel lost. Surely they must feel that has to be more to life and culture than a big house in Brampton and stripmalls. If I was of Indian descent, born in Canada, I'd be getting my university education in Canada and then moving to India to live my culture in a booming economy.

Back