News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 897     0 

Canadian airline industry (general discussion)

I look forward to WestJet buying Air Transat shortly.

With oil investment (and thus business travel) down significantly in Alberta, WestJet recovery is going to take a long time.

Air Transat will struggle to avoid bankruptcy, and will be cheaper to purchase after they file but that might be 3+ years from now. They can come close to breaking even with debt but it'll be tough to turn a profit without much higher fares. Winter 2022 will be big but after pent-up demand dies down I'm not sure they'll be able to compete.

Porter might be a good near-term acquisition for WestJet depending on whether HFR is approved or not.

I wish we could see something crazy like Porter and Air Transat merge, using Ottawa and Montreal as hubs for long-haul.

While crazy that would be something that actually benefitted Canadians as it would cause competition against WJ and AirCan, rather than just the big two growing bigger.

I would have rather seen Transat aquire Sunwing as well, it would have actually fit nicely in their portfolio too.

I mean so far this hasn’t really been a loss of legitimate discount carriers. This discount brand within a larger airline thing has never worked, and sunwing was very much an international vacation carrier (though I am slightly surprised they aren’t preserving the brand in some form)

Last edited:

Back