News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

CampusCommon (50 Gerrard E, student rental @ Church St, 12s, Burgess)

Why does stuff like this still get approved?
Oh well, I guess I'll wait until it is done to pass final judgement.

[SNARK]

BoxyBrown.jpg

[/SNARK]

The building isn't bricked up or cladded yet, easy!!!

Yeahbut the cheap windows are already giving us a peak at the end of the story.

That, and there'll be too much cladding, whatever it is.

The rents strike me as quite expensive for students, though the location is great. The rooms are small, though if they're as well proportioned as the simple cells in the Dominican Monastery of San Marco in Florence with their Fra Angelico frescoes the students will be spoilt for spatial and spiritual luxury.

I assume getting a group of people to rent a house is still cheaper. Or subdividing an open space above a store, if such a thing can still be found along College, or Queen, or the Danforth, or Dundas, or wherever ...

Those options would certainly be cheaper, but this isn's a building for those people. There are plenty of students for which finding something cheap is not neccessary. I've met seveal students who live in the Liberties building at College Park, I also see that the hideous Maples building on Carlton/Wood streets has comprable rents to this and is home to many students.

Hey, this is scary downtown Toronto! The place should be full of kids from outside Toronto whose parents don't mind paying through the nose to ensure their kid is in a "safe" building right on campus. Just look at the first feature listed on the website: "Steel entrance doors for security and safety".

The Maples apartments are real living spaces with excellent amenities, central air and balconies. The apartments are smaller than comparable suites in the area and priced slightly above market rate. 50 Gerrard offers very little except location and their "doubles" & "triples" well exceed market rates. 2 bedroom condos with security & 5 appliances can be rented for about the same as 50 Gerrard's doubles & triples.

Steel doors. What wonderful security! It really starts to make Neill-Wycik look pretty good.

This, my friends, is merely the private sector filling in for Ryerson's horrible lack of student residence space, with private-sector rents to boot. What a terrible opportunity for something better, either for architecture, or for the greater good.

Ugh, the website is terrible:

Here's the pitch for a 'superior studio'
"Indulge yourself with extra space. Our Superior Studio includes all the charm and comfort of the standard model but offers a roomier L-shaped kitchen. It’s private and self-contained, with stylish painted concrete and gypsum board walls."

Charm and comfort! LOL! Painted concrete and drywall! What features!

Steel entrance doors for security and safety.
Combination smoke and heat detectors. (Wow! I feel secure that they meet the fire code standards)
Combined kitchen, dining room and living room/bedroom.
Freshly painted concrete and gypsum board (drywall) walls.
Designer vinyl floor tiles throughout the apartment. (vinyl! luxury!)
Large double glazed windows for natural light and they open fully for natural ventilation.
Ceiling mounted light fixtures in all rooms.
Telephone, television cable and internet ready.
Walk-in closet with shelf (oh my, a shelf!)
Adjustable heating. (What? No AC?)

ryerson has only like two big buildings with residence.

Maybe they are counting on people renting out condos??

Holy. $900 for 307 sq. ft.!

I understand who their target market is, but yike. In the standard 3-bedroom layout, one of the residents would have to walk through another's bedroom to get to their own. And the sizes are drastically different. Have fun figuring out how to split the rent.

they should've used this space for a new architectural science building

I wonder if the plan is to rent this out to the morons (or the moronic parents) who pick this building, make enough money to cover the expenses, and wait for Ryerson to buy 'em out. The rents are absolutely ridiculous, and BuildTO, you are right about that standard triple - the cubbyhole third bedroom looks tacked-on as an afterthought.

Back