News   May 31, 2024
 452     4 
News   May 31, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   May 31, 2024
 818     0 

CampusCommon (50 Gerrard E, student rental @ Church St, 12s, Burgess)

Might as well add the photo.
532071974_e9da731c43_b.jpg

A post-Y2K Neill-Wycik?

Perhaps they can tack on a giant Rita Letendre mural while they're at it...

Nah, Neill-Wycik is a Co-op owned by the people who live there.

No it's not, it's student housing, no owners. Not unless you mean that white slab building that's stuck to the west side of it.

I assure you it's a co-operative housing building which is owned by the people who are currently residing there which is run by a board of governors elected by the residents with decisions voted on at an AGM by the residents. It's not a condo, it's a co-operative rental for students. Residents don't own a unit, residents as a whole own the building as a whole.

Don't know about the finishings (but wasn't expecting too much) but I'm really liking all the layers and the wrap around in that last pic. You're not able to put that view together from ground level. And great idea for the co-op ownership. wish i could have gotten in on that when i was in university was back in the....i'm gonna stop there!!!:D

I assure you it's a co-operative housing building which is owned by the people who are currently residing there which is run by a board of governors elected by the residents with decisions voted on at an AGM by the residents. It's not a condo, it's a co-operative rental for students. Residents don't own a unit, residents as a whole own the building as a whole

How does a rental co-operative work? AFAIK, co-operatives are essentially condos except you buy shares instead of units. If the residents own the building, Why and who is collecting on the rent?

I assure you it's a co-operative housing building which is owned by the people who are currently residing there which is run by a board of governors elected by the residents with decisions voted on at an AGM by the residents.

I stand corrected.

In the late 1960's, students at Ryerson College in Toronto got fed up with the lack of student housing and the inertia of the college administration in acting to solve the problem. But they didn't take over any administration buildings. Instead, they built themselves a 22 story apartment complex in the heart of downtown Toronto. A group of students got together, formed the Neill-Wycik cooperative corporation, obtained a loan from the government, found a site and a contractor and began building.

It took them three years from laying out the concept to laying the cornerstone. During the year before the building was completed, the student Board of Directors moved 100 students into the major training ground, Rochdale College, where they began to learn about administering a co-op. In 1970, 700 students moved in to their completed tower.

The co-op is also something of a self-contained Student Union. It has a pottery studio, weight room, pool room, library, photo lab, sewing room, cafeteria, sauna, carpentry shop, and lounges for partying. The offices are on the top floor of the 22 story building. The co-op is governed much like the Berkeley co-op system, with the general membership electing the 12 member Board of Directors, which manages the co-op through several committees. In the summer, when most students leave, the student co-op runs their building as a hotel, making use of the demand for summer conference housing in downtown Toronto. This helps keep student rents low during the academic year.

Just this year, Neill-Wycik built a $5 million addition to their building, with nine stories of apartment suites and two stories of parking, bringing the number housed to 870 students, each equal co-owners of the complex.

Those '60s entrepreneurs have left a legacy that generations of Ryerson College students should enjoy: the most inexpensive housing available downtown, office and maintenance jobs they provide themselves, and the pleasure of democratically owning and operating their own housing.

Thanks for the summary, Andrew. A privately owned building operated non-profit by its very own residents without outside ownership or management is a tough thing for most people to wrap their heads around because it's an idea that they simply have no familiarity with. The building may be a cheap place to live, but it really can be dank.

The original Toronto model, Rochdale College, may be long gone, but Tartu College across the street is still operating under the Co-op student housing model.

Pristine, honest and perfectly contextual.

Don't change a thing.

Pristine, honest and perfectly contextual.

Don't change a thing.

What you talkin' 'bout Broin?

Let's start with 'pristine'. Whaddyuh mean?

Back