News   May 24, 2024
 5.9K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 985     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 415     0 

Cabbagetown

Which street is in this image? I absolutely love the row and old cobblestone, I wish more streets still retained their red brick paving.

00093.jpg

That's the extreme eastern end of Carlton St. The Necropolis is across the street from that row of houses.

I've definitely got to do some more Cabbagetown exploring. Thanks for clarifying! I've suddenly got a desire to find and photograph all of Toronto's streets that are paved with cobblestones, such a simple thing transforms a streetscape so much.

Last edited:
Wow. Thanks for these. Very nicely done.

When I was in TO earlier in the month I went for a proverbial 'walk in the snow' around Cabbagetown, sustained by an excellent coffee from Jet Fuel. It was jaw-dropping. I think you could make a case that Cabbagetown in summer or snow might be the most beautiful residential neighbourhood in the world. I know of nothing as nice in London or Paris, and I think it easily competes with the likes of Georgetown or Back Bay for sheer architectural pleasure.

That said, one of the problems of Cabbagetown--like so much in Toronto--is the interstitial spaces. Both the residential streets and Parliament/Carlton would benefit so, so much from the kind of streetscaping that's standard in neighbourhoods like this elsewhere: decent tree boxes, nice sidewalks and paving, buried wires, etc. etc.

I know I say this a lot, but the missed opportunities for this kind of stuff in Toronto are staggering. We have been convinced over and over that ours is an ugly city, and it's simply not. It can be tremendously beautiful, and that beauty demands much better attention to the details.

That's the extreme eastern end of Carlton St. The Necropolis is across the street from that row of houses.

Actually the park and Riverdale Farm are across the street from here... the Necropolis, cemetery et al are one big block north of Carlton (eastern end of Winchester).

Definately one of the best neighborhoods in the city. Gorgeous pics!

Back