News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 407     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Cabbagetown

Cabbagetown news has some encouraging information about the work to be performed at the site of the old H.O.P and Grasshopper:

"As you can easily see, the building where Grasshopper and the House on Parliament used to be located is now under construction. The owners are repairing the damage done by the fire in October 2009 and they’re preparing to build new housing units at the back. Considerable effort will be made to preserve and improve the historic façade. When details are ready, we’ll publish them here"

http://cabbagetownnews.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-08-26T16:09:00-05:00&max-results=1

Glad to hear that "considerable effort" we be made to restore the facade.

And yet more news from http://www.cabbagetownsouth.ca/Default.aspx?pageId=897452 :

456 - 460 Parliament Street
updated Sep. 13, 2011

The property owner of the former site of The House on Parliament has made a preliminary plan to renovate the buildings facing Parliament Street and to build up to 6 new townshouse units at the rear of the property facing the laneway behind. Nearby residents on Berkeley, Carlton and Parliament Street will receive notification of a Committee of Adjustment Hearing should the owner mover forward with his proposal. The owner can be reached through his son Kevin Cheng at kevinwcheng@gmail.com.

The property owner of the former site of The House on Parliament has made a preliminary plan to renovate the buildings facing Parliament Street and to build up to 6 new townshouse units at the rear of the property facing the laneway behind.

Laneway housing? I'd love it, just don't let the fire chief know.

Any thoughts on the new Salvation Army Warehouse above the Ginger restaurant? On Sunday I noticed a half dozen unoccupied rollies out front blocking much of the sidewalk. Daniel & Daniel must hate that distraction. However if the Sally Ann place is full then the area must need the service, which contradicts my earlier thinking that CT didn't need a Sally Ann warehouse, since anyone using it would likely come from blocks away from CT - if so, then put the warehouse where the folks live. Did Sally Ann buy the place above or are they renting?

Any thoughts on the new Salvation Army Warehouse above the Ginger restaurant? On Sunday I noticed a half dozen unoccupied rollies out front blocking much of the sidewalk. Daniel & Daniel must hate that distraction. However if the Sally Ann place is full then the area must need the service, which contradicts my earlier thinking that CT didn't need a Sally Ann warehouse, since anyone using it would likely come from blocks away from CT - if so, then put the warehouse where the folks live. Did Sally Ann buy the place above or are they renting?

I haven't seen this yet but it is not really surprising if you consider that TCHC owns 5 large historically designated properties right on Carlton just directly west of this intersection that are home to people fitting the description in your post above. Also just around the corner on Parliament the row of impressive historically-designated Victorian town-homes (south of the LCBO) are also owned and operated by the city as run-down rooming houses!

I always assumed that these properties were in private hands and was surprised to learn that the city owns them and probably has for many years. I wonder whose bright idea it was to turn these historic properties - some of which could be described as mansions - into rooming houses for indigent men? These are some of the finest heritage buildings fronting onto commercial streets in this city and they are slowly being destroyed :mad:

Last edited:
I wonder whose bright idea it was to turn these historic properties - some of which could be described as mansions - into rooming houses for indigent men?
It was likely done in the 1960s and 70s when no one wanted to live in the area, and rooming houses were everywhere in CT. Also, considering that in the 1960s the private sector was knocking down everything, we should be thankful that he city has kept these buildings. Now hopefully the Ford regime will sell them to the private sector to clean up and market, where today's historic designation should protect them.

Stop Methadone Clinic meeting, 13 Oct 2011

Where:
500 Dundas St E, 1 block E of Parliament, Daniels Presentation Centre
13 Oct 2011 7:00 PM

THIS IS A MATTER OF COMMUNITY SAFETY. The proposed site (corner of Dundas and Ontario) is beside a street car stop, just down the road from a day care, a block from a school, in the midst of a residential neighbourhood. There are already 4 clinics in our area, sufficient to serve the needs of our community; an additional clinic would draw from other neighbourhoods. The police advise that the operator of the clinic has clinics in other cities where loitering and drug dealing occurs outside the clinic which would jeapordize the safety of residents.

Come to the Community Meeting. Tell your neighbours. Bring your ideas and your commitment to stop this proposed clinic at Dundas and Ontario.

The city is planning to open a methadone clinic at Dundas and Ontario St. Check out http://www.cabbagetownsouth.ca/

It's amazing. Just as the area is finally finding some success in its efforts to shake off the reputation as a down and out spot the city wants to drag it back down.

Well, technically it's not the city. Actually the Toronto Police are apparently against the methadone clinic opening up there. There is a lot of info in the two pdfs posted on the Cabbagetown South website.

The tenant is Towards Recovery Clinics – Dr. Baljit S.Gill, CEO.
The landlord is Greg Harmandayan.

Apparently the tenant has agreed to stop construction until this week.

The building permit was applied for under the use "Medical/Dental Office". So I think it kind of slipped under the radar until relatively recently.

Stop Methadone Clinic meeting, 13 Oct 2011

Where:
500 Dundas St E, 1 block E of Parliament, Daniels Presentation Centre
13 Oct 2011 7:00 PM

THIS IS A MATTER OF COMMUNITY SAFETY. The proposed site (corner of Dundas and Ontario) is beside a street car stop, just down the road from a day care, a block from a school, in the midst of a residential neighbourhood. There are already 4 clinics in our area, sufficient to serve the needs of our community; an additional clinic would draw from other neighbourhoods. The police advise that the operator of the clinic has clinics in other cities where loitering and drug dealing occurs outside the clinic which would jeapordize the safety of residents.

Come to the Community Meeting. Tell your neighbours. Bring your ideas and your commitment to stop this proposed clinic at Dundas and Ontario.

I'm quite surprised by this. I noted how quickly that building was snapped up and renovated after being put up for sale.
This was not at all what I was expecting the tenant to be. I would think the landlord would have put more thought into who he was leasing too, but perhaps he was misled about the nature of the business.

What an amazing turnout at the community meeting tonight. MPP Glenn Murray announced that the landlord & tenant are backing away from the plans for a methadone clinic in the area.

Back