News   Apr 26, 2024
 599     2 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 222     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 705     0 

Cabbagetown

They had 22 bottles listed, before I hit the place. They carry more expensive Muga, but the $23 is excellent value.

I'm patiently awaiting the return of the Reserve Minervois ( Chateau de Gorgazaud ) which is about $18. I was told it would arrive mid-December.

Thanks for the tip. They now have 0 bottles remaining.
:D

^ and i wasn't invited?

I have been dog sitting for a friend up at Bathurst and Lawrence the past week (glad that's over), just got back to cabbagetown last night, and there is now hoarding up around the soon to be starbucks. I will try and take pictures tonight, but, due to some technical diff-hee-cul-tees i may not be able to pull it off.

I still haven't seen a rendering for this project, if anyone has the time, means, and energy to scan it...

t.

^ and i wasn't invited?
I still haven't seen a rendering for this project, if anyone has the time, means, and energy to scan it...

200px-2599.jpg

...ok yeah, I threw out the newsletter last week.

Well, it had to happen. After years of living in Cabbagetown we've finally experienced a bit of crime. Someone smashed our car side window last night and stole our diaper bag. Yes, I know, you're not supposed to leave things visible in your car at night, I've already mentioned this to my wife, and I think she's now got it. I found the diaper bag down the street, with the contents strewn about on the ground in the alley. I can see it now, some crackhead looking for money is stuck with ass cream and sippy cups. So, $341 later for a new window, we're good as new.

Sorry to hear that, Beez. I guess the lesson is don't tempt people with anything... including diapers...

I'm sorry to hear that, and I know how you feel. We've had three break-ins (two car, one house) in our little corner of Cabbagetown.

Most of the cases of crime I've heard of since moving to Cabbagetown in 1998 were where the property owners let their guard down. For example, my neighbour across the road forgot to lock her front door and someone opened the door and stole her purse. Another left their backdoor unlocked (while they were home) and someone in the alley behind jumped their fence and entered the house, threatening the home owner and stealing some goods. I'm almost certain that had our car had nothing of potential value visible inside it would not have been targeted.

On a positive note, look for the new sign about to be installed at St. Peter's Anglican Church at Carleton and Bleeker. I designed it (well, directed the project) with emphasis on historic appeal to those walking and driving by.

Perhaps us Cabbagetown folks should all get together for a bite and chat. I can join you all at Peartree or Rashnaa anytime.

That's awful, Roy G Biv. I hope you're insured.

In non-crime related news, I went to the BIA office and got a copy of the newsletter with the rendering of the new condo building. I'm surprised at the hight of it, and I'm quite disappointed it's not brick. Until you get down to spruce almost all the buildings of Parliament are brick, and I'm not sure a 4 story precast is going to look at all appropriate here. I'll cross my fingers that the materials will be better than i hope.
About five days ago the old building was torn down, so it's on it's way.

Oh, and the Angel Queen seems to be under "new management". Thank god.
In a funny side note, they have the exact same sign the owners of the "Parkway" (the business previously in the space of the Angel Queen) had at one time advertise this point. All i could think of when i saw it was the landlord telling each tenant as they come in "and here's your "under new management, 10% all menu items" sign, you'll probably want that a few months from now".

To Admiral Beez, I'll meet up with you sometime, if you'd like.

Roy G Bov, that really blows. Are the cops on it?

Let me preface this by admitting that I don't think the world of Toronto Cops. Honestly, I wasn't even sure they'd show up. Thankfully, they surprised me by showing up 20 minutes after being called, and spending 5 hours investigating (capturing footprints, canvassing neighbors, dusting the whole house for prints). They did a great job.

The house was an easy target (he tried a couple of others as well). Cabbagetowners need to pay attention to their rear sliding doors. All he did was pry it open with a screwdriver or crowbar. Make sure to have a stick in place to prevent the door from sliding open.

Now it's time to battle the insurance company...

wow that really sucks, people are pretty brazen in this town.
my parents live just off the Danforth and the same thing happened, we were on the front porch on night having a couple of drinks and all of a sudden we heard a crash in the kitchen. Someone came through the backyard and took the sliding doors right off the track, placed them carefully to the side then tripped over the dog dish, of course the dog was passed out on the proch and didn't hear a thing till his bowl was tipped, all we saw was a guy go over the fence with a german sheppard right on his ass, he got away but without anything thank god. I couldn't believe someone could get those doors off so quietly.

I hope you make out well with your insurance company.

Back