News   Apr 24, 2024
 242     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 480     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 477     0 

Cabbagetown

First of all, everyone should dump those 1970's style sliding glass patio doors. Instead, install French doors that swing inward, with a must-have solid post between the two doors. Into this post you have strong dead bolts. If the criminal wants to get in now he has to break a lot of glass, making a lot of noise. Oh, and don't forget about the dog, they're always good to have. Even a poodle will make enough racket to raise the alarm.

On a good note, next time you're walking along Carlton near Bleaker, check out my latest project, the new sign at St. Peter's Anglican Church. We're now working on some witty sayings to put in the sign. I hope the neighbourhood likes it, as I tried to make it looks historically appealing.

While in Cabbagetown over the past two years I haven't had any incidents. In the summer the front door to the house was accidentally left open (not unlocked, completely open) for the entire night MANY times. There were never any problems, aside from the morning I found a dozen cats meandering about in the living room. The keys were often left in the door too. Still no problems. Yes, I drink way too much... I know. :D

However, for a brief period in which I was living out of the neighbourhood, the house was broken into twice. Once by forcing the front door when it was locked and once by smashing the rear door's window. Both times items were stolen and not recovered. Fortunately, I never really kept anything valuable in the house that could be easily stolen.

The sooner we remove the rooming houses in Cabbagetown and mix up the income demographic in Regent Park the better. That's right crack whores, shaky ladies, petty thieves, etc.... the middle class et al are taking back the downtown eastside!

First of all, everyone should dump those 1970's style sliding glass patio doors. Instead, install French doors that swing inward, with a must-have solid post between the two doors. Into this post you have strong dead bolts. If the criminal wants to get in now he has to break a lot of glass, making a lot of noise. Oh, and don't forget about the dog, they're always good to have. Even a poodle will make enough racket to raise the alarm.

A cheap solution to the sliding door problem is to cut a 2x4 and place it on the sliding door's rail. It can be cut to a length where the door will still open but there won't be enough space for someone to squeeze through. To get past something like that, the criminal also has to break glass and make a lot of noise. Thus, you can leave it open at night without worry, if you're comfortable doing that.

Crackhead B&Es

We had someone break in a few weeks back.. they passed over the laptop, the HD camcorder, the iPod, and walked away with a jar full of change worth $20. Of course, it cost $200 to fix the the custom bevelled glass...

As for the answer to the Javaville question, I heard it was a Ferkin Pub going in... In my opinion it should appropriately be named "The Dreg & the Ferkin".

-Cruise

We had someone break in a few weeks back.. they passed over the laptop, the HD camcorder, the iPod, and walked away with a jar full of change worth $20. Of course, it cost $200 to fix the the custom bevelled glass...

You must've had the same crew that hit our house. They walked past computers, a notebook, and an iPod and just rifled through some dresser drawers, in which they found nothing of sufficient value or novelty to nick. Thanks to a screaming alarm system and quick police response, they got nothing. In our case they kicked in the back door ... which we'd had installed to replace the original glass patio sliders ... because of the obvious security issues ... oh the irony.

In a further ironic twist, we'd had a previous break-in attempt which was stymied by the glass sliders; the doors were jammed, as suggested by a previous poster, so they couldn't lift them out. Judging by the scratched and pitted glass, and the number of large stones lying in the backyard, they had a good go at trying (and failing) to break the glass before giving up.

Admiral Beez said:
On a good note, next time you're walking along Carlton near Bleaker, check out my latest project, the new sign at St. Peter's Anglican Church. We're now working on some witty sayings to put in the sign.

Beez, it looks very nice, and I will pay good money if you duplicate the recent sign outside Heart Lake United Church (since removed, because some people have no sense of humour):

Lying in bed and shouting "Oh God" does not constitute going to church

I dare you.

As for the answer to the Javaville question, I heard it was a Ferkin Pub going in... In my opinion it should appropriately be named "The Dreg & the Ferkin".

-Cruise
A Ferkin would be okay. Last night I tried to go to the House on Parliament for dinner at it was jammed, with a 40-min wait for a table. They need some competition, so the Ferkin might do well.....provided (insert mandatory elitist statement...) it sets its prices and decor as unappealing to the dregs. Otherwise we'll up with another Cabbagetown Restaurant.

Good article, although...

Those houses were ripped down in 1948 to make way for Regent Park, Canada's largest social-housing experiment, composed entirely of low-rise buildings on a 28-hectare parcel of land.

This statement is slightly wrong. There are three (I think) high rises in Regent Park.

Yep the four in the background.

regent-3.jpg

Except that those weren't part of the started-in-1948 first phase, i.e. Regent Park North. Those were part of started-in-the-mid-50s Regent Park South...

Except that those weren't part of the started-in-1948 first phase, i.e. Regent Park North. Those were part of started-in-the-mid-50s Regent Park South...

Is Regent Park South slated to be redeveloped as well? I would certainly love to see those hideous blocks given the implosion treatment!

It is, and in fact at least a token one of those "hideous blocks" (by Peter Dickinson BTW) has a heritage designation of some sort on it...

It will be interesting to see what the Anglican Church of Canada will do with St. Bart's church in South Regent. That church, with limited congregation, is on prime land, and there are three Anglican Churches in the area, St. Simon's, St. Peter's, Little Trinity, plus St. Paul's on Bloor. Perhaps a sell off, like St. James Cathedral and Spire is possible, though the entire church will likely be knocked down.

Yesterday my wife and I were walking our girls along Gerrard, on the south side, along Regent Park, going to the library across Parliament, and we said to ourselves that one day this strip will look amazing, hopefully with ground level retail. A bank would be nice.

Back