News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 643     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Bomb Hoax at the ROM

(The only exception, of course, is in the Muslim world where any visual depiction of Muhammed, deemed disrespectful, leads to calls for its creator's death.)

In fact, I think Scarb just called for the kid's deportation and execution a few posts back.

A Muhammedian execution would probably be broadcast on live TV, would involve all kinds of diplomatic maneouvring, etc...I called for it to be done "quietly," reducing its irony or performance art qualities, preventing him from becoming an Artyr copied by copycats, etc.

With lines like these, Hume seems to want to disparage contemporary middle-class society at large. The idea that society is "numb" because "it" is no longer shocked by such "art" is a rather empty analysis. While society may not have been roused into some kind of collective reflection on the shock value of such expressions (not that it ever was so in the past), elements of contemporary society were roused enough to state that this expression was hardly art, and was quite irresponsible.

Fine that the artist wants to believe what he did is artistic expression; it does not mean that anyone else is lacking is understanding by disagreeing with his assertion.

Oh, and art is a very risky form of investment.

Hume wouldn't recognize art if it fell onto his suburban home.

"Muhammedian"?

Yeah, Muhammedian, an execution because one depicted Muhammed.

You're always itching to prod others into using terms such as the ones you listed so that you can accuse everyone of biggotry, so go ahead and use them in every thread you can to see what happens.

urbandreamer: The majority of people on this forum haven't said anything about this issue, so there's no basis for you to claim that the majority of us are "shocked and outraged". Only a handful here have expressed such opinions.

AP: Hume lives on the next street from me in Riverdale.

AP: Hume lives on the next street from me in Riverdale.

Hey, who says Riverdale ain't suburban. It was a suburb when built; and these days, it's more whitebread and tut-tutty than Scarberia or Bramladesh.

Just being a smart aleck.

Not sure what to make of this really- seems much more of a silly youthful 'stunt' than art. It sort of reminds me of that guy that killed a cat or pukes on other artists work just to get noticed.

Back