News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 601     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Bomb Hoax at the ROM

"Needless to say I think it was a crazed overreaction and I think it's a shame that all these resources went into it." Does he blame himself? "No," he answers without much hesitation. "I put it on the situation."

You got to be F'ing kidding me.

AoD

My next school project is to ram a 2x4 into this guy's nose.
He should be sentenced to recouping the donations CANFAR lost due to the cancellation of their gala.

Man arrested in museum bomb hoax

Nov 29, 2007 10:20 PM
Henry Stancu
Josh Wingrove
staff reporters

Police have arrested a man in connection with a bomb hoax at the Royal Ontario Museum that forced the cancellation of a black-tie AIDS fundraising party last night.

The accused turned himself in to 52 Division around 8 p.m. today in the company of his lawyer, police said.

The man will remain in custody overnight and will appear in a downtown court for a bail hearing tomorrow morning.

A suspicious package was found in the museum's glass-covered lobby at around 6:15 p.m. Wednesday, said Toronto police Sgt. Ralph Pike.

Bomb squad officers closed down streets around the museum.

Police closed Bloor St. W. between St. George St. and Avenue Rd., while Queen's Park was closed between Bloor and Queen's Park Circle, at Hoskins Ave, from 6:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.

The upper floors of the museum were evacuated.

The bomb squad x-rayed and examined the package at the scene, and found it was made to look like three pipe bombs wrapped together with wiring. It didn't contain an explosive device.

A YouTube video, entitled "The Fake Bombing at the ROM, Toronto, 28.11.07," was posted a few hours later, and a link was sent to media in Toronto.

The video showed two hooded people apparently walking into the ROM, and leaving a package in the lobby.

Police said the video was also a prank, and are reviewing the posting and security footage.

The hoax forced the cancellation of portions of "Bloor Street Entertains," an event benefiting the Canadian Foundation for AIDS Research, that was supposed to be attended by about 2,500 people.

The event has run since 1997 and is a series of dinners at 20 trendy Bloor St. W. and Yorkville-area restaurants. Guests paid $600 a plate. It's the charitable organization's largest source of revenue.

During the investigation, numerous people showed up for the fundraiser's gala conclusion at the museum. All were turned away by police, who said the event was cancelled.

This year's event was to be co-chaired by Belinda Stronach. The night was to have wrapped up with a party in the ROM, but was cancelled due to the closure of the upper floors of the museum.

Thorarinn Ingi Jonsson, 24, of Toronto faces one count of common nuisance and mischief interference with property.

- With files from Sarah Boesveld

it's incredibly sad how pretentious and isolated this young man could possibly be, to think that a 'fake bomb' could be 'reconceptualized'.

because writing 'this is not a bomb' on an imitation is going to make a difference.

I guess that pretty much leaves me free to run into a bank with a fake gun and hold the place up.

or perhaps scream out FIRE! in a movie theatre....what people don't know though, is, is that I'm reconceptualizing it in context.

dumb stupid f*ck. I would beat slap him silly, if standing in front of me.

The guy's a pretentious simpleton.

It would be interesting to see, though, what OCAD taught this young guy as to what constitutes 'art', exactly. I'm not saying the school is directly to blame, but OCAD does seems to have a recent crop of grossly harmful bargain-basement Duchampian-cum-performance artists come out of it as of late.
Starting with Jubal Brown ingesting dyes and vomiting them up onto actual Mondrians in The Netherlands a few years back (and then seeing him embraced by Canadian Art magazine), the horrible cat-skinning a few years back that the practicioners attempted to pass off as a performance and/or video piece and that was not exactly thoroughly rebuffed, or the students who got to demolish interior walls of a building and make it a...well, you know. If you know architecture, you likely know art, and the lines of thinking that lead from Dada to demolition are pretty clear to see. All too ordinary, unoriginal and done to death.

For fear of attracting a bunch of late-modernist wrath, I have to say that I am a big fan of modern art of all stripes. I just prefer my artists with talent.

I hope CANFAR got their money, regardless. If not, I think this hack should be made to pay, in installments and over a great deal of time, if necessary. I personally think he got off lightly.

I hope CANFAR got their money, regardless. If not, I think this hack should be made to pay, in installments and over a great deal of time, if necessary. I personally think he got off lightly.

I'm no lawyer, but even though he may get off lightly with the law, CANFAR has a rock solid case if they want to sue him for damages. I hope they do, this MoFo thinks he's done nothing wrong.

Canadian National: A report on the radio last night said that two staffers at OCAD had been suspended. It would indeed be interesting to see what "official" involvement will be shown to have happened.

To call this guy (won't even call him an artist) pretentious would be an understatement. This isn't performance art in any way, it's a very juvenile attempt to be a showoff.

The even sadder thing about this twat, is that he's "re-contextualizing" (or copying) the whole Aqua Teen Hunger Force over-reaction in Boston a while back.

What is it with these "art" students? Skinning cats on camera, faking bomb attacks....it's as if art students have to be radical, out of touch, OCD, nutbars.

I don't know why any government funding goes to art schools. Seems a breeding ground for radical nuts and the unemployable. S

Lets not tread lighting on the f*cking idiot. He's nothing more than a f*cking idiot punk. What a tool.
No, he's an artist, ahead of his time, challenging humanity's preconceived notions of boundaries, or whatever f#cked up crap these art wags use to motivate themselves out of bed in the morning.

Back