News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 392     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 981     1 

Blue Jays

I'm not ignoring it. Obviously if a team goes on a 162 game losing streak they're bad. But right now, with only 73 games played, a 9 game segment is 1/8th of the season, so it looks worse than at the end of the year when it's a 1/16th. Every team usually goes on a losing skid at some point. It may be 5 games, it may be 8, who knows, but it'll happen to every team eventually. It's just the way baseball is. That's why they play 162 games instead of 82.

Also, I guess Boston and Tampa sucked last year... neither was above .500 on the road.

Last edited:
I think it's still too early to declare they're for real. I remember back in 99' the Jays led the AL East at the All-Star break...and they ended up 3rd.

With their pitching injuries and lack of production from Rios and Wells, there's no way I'd call them the real deal yet.

99' was different in the fact that the Jays had a pitching staff significantly WORSE than they do now. Sure their offense that year was great, but they had a team ERA of 4.93, a WHIP ratio of 1.50 and gave up 788 earned runs. Those are pitching statistics similar to their early expansion years. That team simply couldn't keep up with the pitching of the Yanks and BoSox. This years rotation is riddled with injuries yes, but they have a solid ace in Doc as well as one of the games best bullpens. If the young hurlers can keep this pace and stack some wins together, the Jays will be right in the middle of this thing. The offense is getting the job done at this point as well, and Rios and Wells seem to be gradually turning a corner. Call the doctor, I've got Blue Jays fever ma-fucka.

I'm not ignoring it. Obviously if a team goes on a 162 game losing streak they're bad. But right now, with only 73 games played, a 9 game segment is 1/8th of the season, so it looks worse than at the end of the year when it's a 1/16th. Every team usually goes on a losing skid at some point. It may be 5 games, it may be 8, who knows, but it'll happen to every team eventually. It's just the way baseball is. That's why they play 162 games instead of 82.

Also, I guess Boston and Tampa sucked last year... neither was above .500 on the road.

That's my point. It's only 73 games in. Things are skewed. They may not be that bad, but they may not be as good as they look either.

I was also wrong about the year they were in 1st at the All-Star break. It wasn't 1999, it was 2000. Their pitching was terrible, but no one really stopped to think that at the time.

This year their pitching isn't terrible, but it isn't as good as it was last year. It's middle of the pack thus far. Their hitting has been great, but given how they've struggled the past few years I wouldn't assume they're going to keep it up either.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, but I'm not yet convinced this team is a legitimate contender. A lot can happen in 89 games.

Tough loss last night for the Jays. I was impressed with the comeback, but once again, the injury riddled bullpen coughed up the lead. I hope they can do some damage against the Phils this weekend.

Syn, the Jays were definately in the thick of things back in 1999 and 2000. The 99' season saw them get to 13-15 games over .500, but the pitching obviously faltered down the stretch. 2000 was a tough season. To date, it was the Jays' closest shot to a post season berth since 1993, as the Yankees only finished in first 4.5 games up on the Jays.

Last edited:
But that was a weak season for all the teams in the division. as for now it will be harder to get in with 5 teams within 2 games back of the wild card. plus their division now has 3 other winning teams (boston, new york, tampa) And baltimore might be a .500 team too.

I dont think we will get into the playoffs this year but next year will be close. we have tons of good pitching that just need experiance and some great bats with snider, arenciba, cooper, for rookies. Then lind and hill could be 30 hr hitters same with wells (if they sign him) rios, and rolen. Next year snider takes over right field or dh, cooper takes over first base and arenciba takes over catcher. next year i think the jays could get into the playoffs with a wild card birth. And if its not that year its the year after that that i think they would have a shot at winning the division.

But that was a weak season for all the teams in the division. as for now it will be harder to get in with 5 teams within 2 games back of the wild card. plus their division now has 3 other winning teams (boston, new york, tampa) And baltimore might be a .500 team too.

I dont think we will get into the playoffs this year but next year will be close. we have tons of good pitching that just need experiance and some great bats with snider, arenciba, cooper, for rookies. Then lind and hill could be 30 hr hitters same with wells (if they sign him) rios, and rolen. Next year snider takes over right field or dh, cooper takes over first base and arenciba takes over catcher. next year i think the jays could get into the playoffs with a wild card birth. And if its not that year its the year after that that i think they would have a shot at winning the division.

I'm not sure if the "if they sign him" comment was directed at Wells or Rios, but both are signed long-term.

Wells is making over $20 million next year (I think).

I'm not sure if the "if they sign him" comment was directed at Wells or Rios, but both are signed long-term.

Wells is making over $20 million next year (I think).
Sorry i actually don't know who i was thinking of opps :)

Last edited:
Well, they salvaged a game out of three against a team that has overtaken them in the standings. But apart from the hot start the 2009 Jays have fallen into the same pattern we saw coming in spring training--they've done little of consistency to distinguish themselves from Jays teams over the past, uh, 15 years or so. To get back into the wild card race they need to do one of those extended winning streaks the Rays and Yankees have done but I just don't see it happening with the pitching staff the way it is and Rios and Wells underachieving.

Baseball Newbie

I have never attended a baseball game before. Someone at work gave me some tickets to go... it is for end of July. I have some questions..!

1. How should I dress?
2. Are washrooms clean? (dumb question?)
3. Are the cost of concessions high? (thinking I should have a hotdog? lol)

Anything else I should know?

1. Any way you want
2. For guys they'll do. You'll might get lineups between innings. For ladies I don't know.
3. Oh yes. Rip-offs abound. Don't even mention the beer.

It's relaxed atmosphere and people come and go more often than at more intense hockey or football games.

1. Any way you want
2. For guys they'll do. You'll might get lineups between innings. For ladies I don't know.
3. Oh yes. Rip-offs abound. Don't even mention the beer.

It's relaxed atmosphere and people come and go more often than at more intense hockey or football games.

LOL @ for guys they'll do...

i guess i better go before showing up

I think I've been to 50 games in the last three years and I was trying to remember what the bathrooms were like, when I realized I've never been in them haha.

Well... Richmond now on the DL too.
On the bright side Marcum will be throwing in Dunedin this week. That's great news and perhaps he could make a couple big league starts before the end of the year so to get a sense of what he could do next year.

It's pretty bleak for the Jays in terms of the standings, but I'm still excited. It's great to hear Hill (who hit his 20th hr today) got an All-star nod, and Lind is on the short list for the final fan-voted spot. Halladay should start the game too. Rolen is on a 22 game hit streak, Romero hasn't allowed a run in 20+ innings and has a sub-3.00 ERA. Lots of good stories that provide some fodder for the rest of the season and hope for next year.

To me this is pretty close to a top 10 team in baseball. There are few teams with the talent and depth that could handle all the injuries and do what they're doing. It's good to see.

The Jays are now where I (and I'm sure many others) expected them to be. A lot of us were disappointed with Riccardi's cautious off-season and didn't expect too much.

The early play was a nice anomaly but an anomaly all the same, and they still can't beat the big boys when they need to. I agree that this team has a lot of potential, but they need to start the season with at least 2 (and probably 3) solid starters. It's just too much of a wing and a prayer to expect them to stay in the race long enough to pick up a starter before trade deadline with the staff they have--and over a long season it shows. But it is the offense that has been more disappointing. Wells (who showed a bit recently but far too little overall) and Rios (who might be as overrated as he seems right now) have to be the heart of the lineup the Jays expected them to be. Great to see Hill and Lind picking up the slack but its not enough.

This is why I suggested it was too early to know if this team was the real deal. Two weeks later they're barely above .500, 8 games out of 1st and 7 games out of the Wildcard race.

Hopefully they can turn it around, but it seems like they're heading in the same direction they do every year. I was hoping Ricciardi would finally be canned this year, but their fast start probably means that won't happen.

They released BJ today... I'm really curious to see what is in store for the Jay's after the All-Star break.

Back