News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 679     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 308     0 

Blue Jays

Some really embarrassing behavior from Blue Jays fans at Skydome last night. Just another example of why alcoholic bevarages should be banned.

I wouldn't go as far as saying ban alcohol. This guy could have easily thrown other things onto the field like a water bottle, pop bottle, and hell someone threw waffles at Phil Kessel however many years ago.

I wouldn't go as far as saying ban alcohol. This guy could have easily thrown other things onto the field like a water bottle, pop bottle, and hell someone threw waffles at Phil Kessel however many years ago.
Isn't the alledged racist taunting of the Oriole's outfielders of more concern than the stupidity that is throwing a beer can?

That said, the strangest thing of the whole incident was that on the Posts online sit, in the sports department they have a picture of the guy posted under the headline
"Police release photo of man suspected of hurling beer can during Toronto Blue Jays’ wild-card game"

It is kinda strange (to me) that no one was looking at that as they posted/ran the story and thinking..."hey, isn't that Ken who works here".

I want to be clear, nothing has been proven so he deserves his day in court.....but his actual employer ran a story saying (basically) who is this guy, posted a picture of him and never questioned if it was him.

Isn't the alledged racist taunting of the Oriole's outfielders of more concern than the stupidity that is throwing a beer can?

It can be argued both ways. Throwing the beer can Tuesday night directly links all non-Blue Jays fans (Americans specifically) to last year's incident against Texas, adding more fuel to the fire that we have an awful, disrespectful fanbase (blah blah blah), based on the actions of one particular individual.

As for the alleged racist taunting, we don't know exactly what he said. As far as it goes at the time being (and feel free to correct me, haven't looked into it), there's no factual proof of what he said, only Adam Jones and Kim heard him (and people sitting next to said man).

While odds are he probably did say some racist slurs, while unfortunate, there always seems to be that one person that goes too far with what they say when in the outfield seats, in any stadium.

It can be argued both ways. Throwing the beer can Tuesday night directly links all non-Blue Jays fans (Americans specifically) to last year's incident against Texas, adding more fuel to the fire that we have an awful, disrespectful fanbase (blah blah blah), based on the actions of one particular individual.

As for the alleged racist taunting, we don't know exactly what he said. As far as it goes at the time being (and feel free to correct me, haven't looked into it), there's no factual proof of what he said, only Adam Jones and Kim heard him (and people sitting next to said man).

While odds are he probably did say some racist slurs, while unfortunate, there always seems to be that one person that goes too far with what they say when in the outfield seats, in any stadium.
All I was saying is if one guy threw a beer and one guy threw racially based insults....I know which one offends me more. Not condoning either but I know which one concerns me the most.

This is Toronto......and while I accept (but abhor) that beer throwing can and does happen everywhere it seems (although I have travelled to many stadiums/arenas in many cities and have only seen it once outside of Toronto) but I would like to think that racial taunts should not (and can't) happen and be accepted in this city.

All I was saying is if one guy threw a beer and one guy threw racially based insults....I know which one offends me more. Not condoning either but I know which one concerns me the most.

This is Toronto......and while I accept (but abhor) that beer throwing can and does happen everywhere it seems (although I have travelled to many stadiums/arenas in many cities and have only seen it once outside of Toronto) but I would like to think that racial taunts should not (and can't) happen and be accepted in this city.

Both are concerning and embrassing - if someone has a clear recording of the act, I would be just as happy to see it brought to justice in a similar manner. I can understand why verbal abuse is harder to get attention however - it isn't something graphic and obvious like the beer can situation. You don't react the same way to what you can't see and have no visual record of.

In any case, just what's with the Jays crowd anyways? Like are they adults? Did they all have a collective Rob Ford ACC FU moment?

Oh - the accused speaks - http://news.nationalpost.com/sports...ified-as-alleged-beer-can-tosser-at-jays-game

“I was drinking out of a cup,” Pagan told Postmedia, and suggested Twitter photos that show him after the can was tossed clearly indicate he had a cup in his hand. “I’d love to tell you what happened and my story … but I can’t say anything.”

AoD

Last edited:
Both are concerning and embrassing - if someone has a clear recording of the act, I would be just as happy to see it brought to justice in a similar manner. I can understand why verbal abuse is harder to get attention however - it isn't something graphic and obvious like the beer can situation. You don't react the same way to what you can't see and have no visual record of.

In any case, just what's with the Jays crowd anyways? Like are they adults? Did they all have a collective Rob Ford ACC FU moment?

Oh - the accused speaks - http://news.nationalpost.com/sports...ified-as-alleged-beer-can-tosser-at-jays-game

AoD
I get why the visual of a beer flying at an outfielder gathered so much media attention....I just, personally, are far more concerned about the racial side of this.

If you look at the series of pictures in that article, I would be looking to speak to whomever was sitting behind the guy in the white cap.

Jays crowds? I only go to a couple of baseball games a year....go to all TFC matches, maybe 10 Leaf games and a handful of Raptors games. I also try to see a sporting event in cities I travel to...so have been to multiple games in Montreal/NY/Chicago/LA/Glasgow/Dublin/Atlanta and individual games elsewhere. Toronto's dirty secret (IMO) is that in none of those places do I encounter the same sort general drunkeness and abusive language as I do in Toronto.....I recently took an out of town guest to a TFC match and his comment was "wow, sports events in Toronto are quite different than the image of the city as a whole". I am not sure why it is so, why our crowds are like that....I might guess that it has something to do with our relatively low drinking age relative to other cities....but, as a whole, my experiences in Montreal would contradict that.

I get why the visual of a beer flying at an outfielder gathered so much media attention....I just, personally, are far more concerned about the racial side of this.

If you look at the series of pictures in that article, I would be looking to speak to whomever was sitting behind the guy in the white cap.

The video is a lot more indicative that individual shots - while the police isn't infallible, you'd think they'd have all the ducks lined up before going public?

Jays crowds? I only go to a couple of baseball games a year....go to all TFC matches, maybe 10 Leaf games and a handful of Raptors games. I also try to see a sporting event in cities I travel to...so have been to multiple games in Montreal/NY/Chicago/LA/Glasgow/Dublin/Atlanta and individual games elsewhere. Toronto's dirty secret (IMO) is that in none of those places do I encounter the same sort general drunkeness and abusive language as I do in Toronto.....I recently took an out of town guest to a TFC match and his comment was "wow, sports events in Toronto are quite different than the image of the city as a whole". I am not sure why it is so, why our crowds are like that....I might guess that it has something to do with our relatively low drinking age relative to other cities....but, as a whole, my experiences in Montreal would contradict that.

It's analogous to the 905 club crowd all over again.

Update - The Globe has an article about whether it is appropriate to have the mugshot released:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ring-jays-game-comes-forward/article32269875/

AoD

Last edited:
MLB wants to ban beer cans from the Rogers Centre

http://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2016/10/mlb_wants_to_ban_beer_cans_from_the_rogers_centre/
As the Toronto Police continue to investigate the beer throwing incident at Tuesday night's wild card game, Major League Baseball wants the Blue Jays to ban beer cans from the Rogers Centre.

As the Associated Press reports, a Blue Jays spokesperson said banning beer cans at the ballpark is one option that's currently on the table.

"I don't think there is another ballpark where beer is served in cans," said MLB commissioner Rob Manfred in discussing this heavily scrutinized rare beer-throwing event.

This isn't the first time Jays fans have thrown beer into the stadium. Last year, for instance, the Rogers Centre stopped selling beer cans in the 500 level after spray from a falling can hit a baby during the ALDS against the Texas Rangers.

Let's hope we keep calm, cool and collected as we head into this year's Division Series.

Back