News   Apr 26, 2024
 74     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 404     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Bloordale Village

Glad to hear that Zotero is nice. I will have to check it out sometime. I am a little worried about their chances for success as their location seems kind of isolated to me, but the neighbourhood is in need of a nice, bistro-style restaurant so hopefully they can capitalize on the demand.

quick question guys? any store around the area where i can give them a photo album full of 50 or more pictures and have it digitalized onto a cd as jpegs/png? any idea of the prices?

Please check out our new blog: www.brocktonian.com ... all about life in Toronto's west-end Brockton Village, Bloordale, Bloorcourt and Dufferin Grove communities. We explore everything from art&culture to local issues to new bars & restaurants to real estate.

We recently moved from the Junction and are both loving the new 'hood. But, we miss following our old neighbourhood blog: http://breakingprojects.com/junctioneer/ (for anyone who lives in the Junction his site is the source). So, we thought, why not create our own? Once we find the camera we hope to have more pictures up. In the meantime, check it out, comment, follow, 'like', share, contribute ... lets get a strong community growing.

You can also find us on Twitter @brocktonlife

Thanks,
John&Chloe at Brocktonian

Great Blog

Thanks for posting the link to your blog. Brockton Village and Bloordale/Wallace Emmerson are quickly improving!

I am close to renting an apartment just east of Lansdowne, between Bloor and Dupont. I am familiar with the area during the late afternoon and evening, but what is the safety of the area after midnight?

Regarding this topic, does anyone notice the section of Bloor east of Lansdowne, till about the park, has avoided any form of gentrification !

So west of this area is High Park / Bloor West Village ... a high end area (just based on the type of shops), further west is Kingsway, again very high end.

Now east of Christie Pits is Korea town ... a very nice (and probably not well known) area in Toronto, many Japanese / Korean shops, and further east, of course the Annex (i.e. east of Bathurst).

I just find it strange this stretch in between has been fairly untouched ... quite a few vacancies / pawn shops / money lenders / used appliance stores ... I believe it resembles the Junction from many many years back (and parts of Queen W, from even more years back).

Its a good location, so I find odd !

Nothing wrong with a mix of working class, ethnic, & miscellaneous on this strip. Retail occupancies have been consistent and the selection of shops serves the area residents well, which in recent generations have been mostly blue collared immigrant classes (Portuguese, Latino, Ethiopian, South Asian, etc). The Bloordale district has actually seen a fresh revitalization in recent years. Many trendy eateries, bars, shops have opened up in the area from Lansdowne to Shaw.

Nothing wrong with a mix of working class, ethnic, & miscellaneous on this strip. Retail occupancies have been consistent and the selection of shops serves the area residents well, which in recent generations have been mostly blue collared immigrant classes (Portuguese, Latino, Ethiopian, South Asian, etc). The Bloordale district has actually seen a fresh revitalization in recent years. Many trendy eateries, bars, shops have opened up in the area from Lansdowne to Shaw.

Yep maybe, but either way the gentrification seems to be much much slower then other areas ... btw for clarity, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that at all : - )

I just find it curious, as location wise its better then the Junction / further west on bloor ... so on ... better in the sense its closer to the core

Regarding this topic, does anyone notice the section of Bloor east of Lansdowne, till about the park, has avoided any form of gentrification !

I just find it strange this stretch in between has been fairly untouched ... quite a few vacancies / pawn shops / money lenders / used appliance stores ... I believe it resembles the Junction from many many years back (and parts of Queen W, from even more years back).

Its a good location, so I find odd !

I find this post a bit baffling. I live in Bloordale, and the changes on Bloor have been happening quickly, especially the last couple of years. It's not chain stores and there is not Starbucks, but there have been many new stores, restaurants, and bars opening up between Lansdowne and Dufferin (and also further east). Still a number of pawn shops and appliance stores left, for sure.

Off the top of my head, recent changes on Bloor, between Lansdowne and Dufferin:
- Nuthouse (bulk store and health foods...great quality and definitely geared towards recent gentrification)
- the cafe next to the Nuthouse (can't recall the name, just opened up)
- Dmart and the coffee place next to that
- Karelia Kitchen (getting raves from Toronto Life, Now Magazine, etc.)
- Bar Neon
- extensive renovations to Broadway Cycle and Sweet Petes
- new subway exits on Russett Avenue at Bloor
- renovations to New Horizons retirement home at Dufferin
- Three Speed (one of the pioneers in terms of gentrification)
- Intergalactic Space Authority (cafe and space for the kids arts and writing programs)
- Towne (fancy cards and gifts)
- reno at Duffy's, with new diner in the adjoining storefront
- Lansdowne Cone, just south of Bloor
- Ortolan (very tasty food, not cheap though, popular with foodies all over Toronto)
- Emerson restaurant (one of my faves, also getting raves in the press)
- Bloordale Pantry (now replaced by Whipoorwill)
- Cafe Stella (revamped existing bar, great music scene now)
- Fenigo (litterless lunch supplies - how gentrified is that !)

I'm sure that I've missed some. I've lived here for 13 years, so maybe that skews my perception, but everyone I talk to in the 'hood is remarking how quickly things are changing here. We have mixed feelings, because we don't want this strip of Bloor to become like Bloor West Village with too many chain stores, but at the same time, some of the changes have been very welcome.

I should add, nothing personal taal! I hope I didn't come off too negative. Just honestly perplexed by the post.

Brock Sandwich - which is great - just opened up last week, a couple doors west of the Nuthouse. Supposedly a vegan bakery (gentrification!) is going in where the Free Gallery used to be (which was a hardware store when I moved to the neighborhood). On the other side of Dufferin, a new queer bar/restaurant called 'the Steady' recently opened at Bloor & Havelock.

I should add, nothing personal taal! I hope I didn't come off too negative. Just honestly perplexed by the post.

Oh no, none taken ! I'm actually really glad you responded; I'm going to have to chalk this up to ignorance, on my part of course : )

So I don't frequent the area often at all, I'm not very familiar with how it was say a couple years back; I guess I was just comparing it to other areas in Toronto, which have undergone gentrification, but at unprecedented rates.

I'm actually glad to here its changing here !

Back