News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 636     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Bloordale Village

Does anyone know when the Bloor Gladstone Library will re-open? Seems like it's been closed for ages!

Also would love to know when the next public consultation will be for Dufferin Station.

30 May 2009 photo update: Wallace Av brownstones by Robert Falus

I believe this is the site, but is the concrete building part of the project as well?

dsc02085rpc.jpg

dsc02171ruw.jpg

dsc02168fkp.jpg

dsc02169z.jpg

24 June 2009 photo update

Noticed: Paul Bright art gallery space is for lease? Clearly not all galleries are doing well...perhaps Mercer Union's brand name will ensure survival in this recession?

dsc02300q.jpg

3 Speed Bike is now open; finally this strip has a cool bar & patio to hang out at! Seems to cater to the over-30 crowd though....

dsc02299aty.jpg

Toronto's ugliest condo is getting a neighbour, as construction has finally begun.:(

dsc02302a.jpg

It's amazing how many new places have opened here in the last year.

There's a great new vegetarian place called Calico Cafe at Bloor/Brock. Great food and very friendly folks. Went to Three Speed for the first time tonight and had a great time, and wadda you know, I'm over 30 too. Holy Oak's a nice coffee joint at Bloor/St.Clarens.

All of the above places seem to have a steady flow of customers from what I could see, which is very reassuring.

The TDSB is currently reviewing schools in our local area, with an eye to consolidating and possibly selling/leasing buildings and land that are not needed to accommodate students.

The schools being reviewed are Brock, Pauline, Dovercourt, and Kent. Word is that Kent will definitely be sold, and also that Bloor Collegiate will also be sold in a separate process.

Could be big changes in the Bloor/Dufferin area. Info at http://www.tdsb.on.ca/_site/ViewItem.asp?siteid=10118&menuid=25037&pageid=21667.

New stores recently opened, photos taken today:

Elephant something or other, an artisan/vintage/clothing/jewellery/whatever shop:

dsc08507z.jpg

Nest Vintage clothing etc at Bloor and Perth, by Rachel Shaw iirc:

dsc08512z.jpg

Zocalo, that place with the liquor license application across the street at Bloor and Symington. It's gonna be a Mexican restaurant/bar--sort of like Naco Gallery I hope.

Bloordale Pantry of course is open, joining Haus Vintage, 69 Vintage so far this year; and several more places look set to open--The Black Box, for example, not certain what it's gonna be.

Last edited:
Bloordale Pantry of course is open, joining Haus Vintage, 69 Vintage so far this year; and several more places look set to open--The Black Box, for example, not certain what it's gonna be.

The Black Box has a sign seeking a barber. Very curious to see what that's all about.

Visited Bloordale Pantry today and had a great meal. The interior has been nicely renovated with an updated-diner feel. I was talking with the owner about how unfortunate it was that the building owner got rid of the vintage "Dale Restaurant" sign that has been replaced w/banal marble tile. They've only been open a few weeks, but the place was hopping and I bumped into a few acquaintances from the neighbourhood.

There is another restaurant opening soon, close to Sweet Pete's, painted yellow inside. I asked a woman who was washing the front door about it and apparently it's going to be a Burmese restaurant. Can't wait to try it out.

Just heard that Calico Cafe is going a Monday night meal delivery thing. Info on their website.

Lots of exciting things happening!

Has anyone ever been to Yasi's, over at Wallace & Lansdowne. I have read very polarizing reviews from BlogTO. Thoughts?

It's okay. I prefer it on weekdays, because I hate lining up to eat eggs and toast! (I am not an animal!) Weekends attracts the arty crowd that's moved into the 'hood--really, I can see this area becoming almost a second Kensington Market over the next decade.

Everyone loves the Starving Artist...except me, as I HATE waffles.

(I'm bored right now--time to go for a walk through the 'hood.:))

The Burmese restaurant (at Bloor / Pauline) is now open. It's called Motherhome; apparently they used to have a place in a food court on Front Street. Anyway, it's not fancy - just steam table selections - but it is very tasty and incredibly inexpensive. A full plate or takeaway box of food was only $5. I had steamed rice, lamb with lentils, a lemongrass chicken and some stirfried veggies with tofu. It will become a regular stop for me.

There is also a new place (bar/cafe) that has opened up at Bloor and Symington called Zocalo -- someone told me it is owned by someone who used to work at the Roxton. I haven't visited it yet.

I ate at Motherhome tonight--$6 including drink wasn't too bad, it's cheap, but maybe a bit bland for me....

I wondor if it's the same Zocalo that was beside Slickity Jim's on Main (Vancouver), that burned to the ground last fall/winter? It had more of a Mexican theme to it, while stopping by today (wasn't hungry or in mood for caffeine at the time) I noticed this place has a very white yuppie vibe to it--very nice though.:) Until they get their liquor license so they can justify dinner, they have a small lunch menu (soup and sandwiches) and coffee--it's gonna become a fave of mine I think.:D Sort of the Little Fish (Junction) of this area?

Today:

dsc00186b.jpg

dsc00282o.jpg

Motherhome (Myanmar Restaurant iirc) has been open a week, here's what I saw/ate tonight:

dsc00198yw.jpg

dsc00279wt.jpg

Vibe--a bit too bright, but I guess it's like Curry in a Hurry @Blansdowne--cheap eats for those in a hurry.

I hope the area gets a cheap taco joint soon (better than La Tortillaria and closer to my area.)

My wife and I grabbed some take-out from Zocalo yesterday (brought our own take-out containers..we were in a rush!). I had a really tasty sausage / hummous / salad sandwich sort of thing* and my wife had a salad. We both enjoyed everythin immensely. Will definitely go back, and looking forward to seeing what's on the dinner menu. Haven't tried the coffee yet, but several people came through to get a coffee fix while we were waiting.

-Vic

* "sandwich sort of thing" - I think the idea was to give a bunch of toppings on a plate, along with various slices of bread, and you build your own sandwiches. Didn't see how this really worked in true practice because we ate on the run.

Back