News   Apr 26, 2024
 198     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 257     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 451     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

200px-Emilstooge.jpg

Being an awkard size doesn't help matters but it is always interesting to see the difference between tastes from coast to coast. Even H&M for example, in mtl the men's department always has snugger fits, more colourful clothing while Toronto gets bigger sizes and the browns, beiges and greys. Yes there are a few shops where some cool men's stuff is to be found but not for those on a budget--say under $300 for an outfit. Of course, I'm a cheap sob so i spend about $300 max each year on clothes:) Wanna learn how to save $ for the downpayment on your trailer? Give me a shout:)

Goodwill has great, cheap stuff. And dead people - yesterday I was wearing my late father's nice sweater ( I bought it for him! ), shirt, tie, and the tweedy trousers my Mum ordered from a catalogue that he never wore. The white wooly sweater I wore to Nuit Blanche was hand-knitted by my partner, for himself. Sometimes I'm several people ( plus myself ) all at the same time ...

Update...

OK we need an update here ;)

Far Coast Cafe (95A Bloor Street West) is closed from what I understand...any speculation as to who will move in?

How bout 144 Bloor Street West, now that Chanel left and moved back to its renovated digs?

======================================================

Updates...

Browns Shoes will be moving into 110 Bloor St. West, where La Senza was. Not sure how large the new shoe store will be.

Cartier will be moving to a large premises somewhere on Bloor.

Prada will expand into menswear in the former Tommy Bahama location in the Colonnade.

Cole Haan will close at 101 Bloor West, 14,000 sq ft available. (including a full second floor of retail that will open up with about 10,000 sq ft http://www.avisonyoung.com/library/pdf/Toronto-Lease/101_Bloor_St_W_-_2006_Flyer.PDF

Puma Store at 151 Bloor West.

La Swiss Jewelers at 9 Bloor Street West

What else has been going on? I've been on the West Coast for a little too long ;)

posted this in the Regency thread in Projects & Construction...looks lke a British lingerie store is coming to the Regency Yorkville..

(from today's Globe)

As well, it is said that leading British lingerie label Agent Provocateur, founded in 1994 by Serena Rees and Joseph Corré, the only child of trendsetters Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren, is eyeing commercial space on the Regency's ground floor, with views onto Bay.

posted this in the Regency thread in Projects & Construction...looks lke a British lingerie store is coming to the Regency Yorkville..

(from today's Globe)

As well, it is said that leading British lingerie label Agent Provocateur, founded in 1994 by Serena Rees and Joseph Corré, the only child of trendsetters Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren, is eyeing commercial space on the Regency's ground floor, with views onto Bay.

Makes sense, regardless of the Regency's... Interesting appearance, I'm sure its retail space is highly sought after. Think about it, this space will face the flagship of arguably the world's finest luxury hotel chain. Agent Provocateur can only salivate at the clientel which will one day descend upon their boutique from across the street.

Earlier in this thread someone talked about a mini-mall and where one could possibly open in Yorkville. One space I love, but which is completely neglected, is the Deco 2nd floor of the Colonnade. Maybe its too far, pehaps 50 feet, from the sidewalk for people to commit?
Aside from the Dynasty everything struggles so its resorted to various clinics etc.

Earlier in this thread someone talked about a mini-mall and where one could possibly open in Yorkville. One space I love, but which is completely neglected, is the Deco 2nd floor of the Colonnade. Maybe its too far, pehaps 50 feet, from the sidewalk for people to commit?
Aside from the Dynasty everything struggles so its resorted to various clinics etc.

Deco?

As a matter of fact, it's practically the original "mini-mall", and if anything, it oughta be de-Deco'd to something like its original 60s Modern integrity. (Though at this time, I'm wondering whether a better class of tenant would be institutional rather than commercial--galleries, exhibition spaces, and the like. Were it not so chichi, Dominion Modern would work great here...)

The Japan Foundation in the Colonnade is institutional, and hosts a wide range of cultural events - art exhibitions, music recitals etc. They have an exhibition and film about martial arts at the moment. There's an excellent library that's open to the public, too.

I know (and it's what motivated my idea); but it can't carry the place on its own...

Back