News   May 06, 2024
 136     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 704     0 

Bicycle Paths

Great update Reaper!

Gatineau Trail also needs much 'finishing work'.

Boy you really can clock it.....what's your peak speed on level ground?

This video is hardly representative, there was an east wind. I had to ride the whole length of the path both ways, so I chose to film the direction where I had a tailwind, to save tape.

My cruising speed is 26km/h, and I usually average about 22km/h. On flat ground with no wind, I could probably sprint to 50km/h, but I wouldn't be able to hold it very long and I would be very exhausted afterward.

My bike maxes out at 65km/h in top gear, because after that your legs start spinning too quickly. But I only can go that fast when there is a downhill or strong tailwind.

And in case you're wondering, I have only tested the top speed on roads with 60km/h speed limits, so I wasn't speeding excessively.

Now, how about we have you tour the city so you can update us on all the other trails!

I'd love to tour all Toronto's trails, but I'm moving to Waterloo so that would hardly be practical. If you're interested in Waterloo's trails though...

Hell getting a little chilly!

From the LA Times, at this link:

By Ari Bloomekatz, Los Angeles Times

September 9, 2011
In a city known for traffic gridlock, deliberately eliminating an entire lane for cars could be politically dubious.

But that's just what officials did Thursday as they unveiled Los Angeles' newest bicycle lane, a 2.2-mile stretch along 7th Street from Catalina Avenue in Koreatown to Figueroa Street downtown.

"Hold on to your hats, folks, we're actually removing a lane for a car — in favor of a bike lane — in Los Angeles," City Councilman Ed Reyes said during a news conference at MacArthur Park. "By doing so, we, as a city, are changing the way we see bicycles, as not only a recreational vehicle but as a legitimate form of public transportation."

Cycling advocates cheered the news as one of the strongest indications yet that Los Angeles is slowly introducing more paths for those pedaling on two wheels. Officials estimate some 27,000 Angelenos ride a bicycle daily.

"It's really symbolic," said Allison Mannos of the Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition. "It's not only showing that L.A. is changing overall and becoming more bike-friendly as a city … [but] we're able to bring [bike lanes] to areas where people are depending on their bikes every day."

Cyclists are not only middle-class white urbanites who can afford a car but choose to not always drive, but also transit-dependent residents in low-income minority communities such as Westlake, Mannos said.

She said the 7th Street proposal emerged from conversations with laborers who frequently use the thoroughfare to commute.

Transportation officials say the state vehicle code makes it illegal for drivers to use lanes designated for cyclists.

Tim Fremaux, an official with the city's transportation department, said the new lane is part of the Bike Master Plan adopted this year. He said 7th Street was a prime site because it has relatively low traffic compared with neighboring thoroughfares such as Wilshire Boulevard.

All that was needed for the transformation from car lane to bike lane, Fremaux said, was paint and striping along the road, a few signs and some minor adjustments to traffic lights.

Bike lanes are relatively cheap compared with other transportation infrastructure, costing approximately $50,000 to $100,000 per mile, Fremaux said.

The bike plan calls for more than 200 miles of new routes every five years, but some officials and cycling advocates say there does not appear to be enough funding to reach that goal.

Last weekend, two other bicycle lanes opened: a 1.6-mile stretch on 1st Street from Boyle Avenue to Lorena Street and a 0.6-mile path on Cahuenga Boulevard between Odin and Yucca streets. Fremaux says the next two will probably be in the San Fernando Valley, on Reseda Boulevard and Tuxford Street. Officials also hope to eventually extend the 7th Street lane another 2.9 miles through downtown and into Boyle Heights.

I was in town this weekend so I took a ride on the Finch Hydro Corridor path in North York. This time I rode between Norfinch and Dufferin.

This half of the path doesn't seem to be quite as high quality as the east half, with some sections that are bumpy or narrow. There are more curves and gradients, but that's more of a function of the terrain.

There are two serious gaps in the path at the moment.

Construction hasn't even started on the level crossing across the GO Newmarket Sub, so path users have to walk through the bushes and cross on the York University Busway.

The path is also absent through the Finch West subway station construction site. The way path users cross Keele seems to be constantly changing. The last time I rode by, the fences were arranged so that people crossed on the north side of Murray Ross Dr. This time, the fences were arranged such that path users crossed on the south side of the York University Busway. However, there are no working signals for pedestrians or cyclists. I happened to know that it was safe to cross on the south side of the intersection whenever buses got a green, but average citizen would have no idea what to do.

The path's traffic signals seem quite well executed with short wait times. However, there is a weird setup at the intersections shared with the York University Busway. When a cyclist or pedestrian triggers the cross phase, all crossings are permitted (the busway, 2 crosswalks, and a crossride). Yet when a bus triggers the exact same phase, only buses get a green light.

I understand that having allowing pedestrian crossings increases the phase length (due to the required countdown), but since the bicycle signal has the same yellow time as the bus signal, that doesn't explain why the bike signal stays red.
I have crossed numerous times when I've seen that the bus signal was green (and it is therefore safe to cross), so it's not just some situation that only happens rarely and isn't worth considering.
In fact, it even happens in the "Part 4" video below.

Anyway, enjoy my tour of the west half of the North York Finch Hydro Corridor "Recreational Trail".

[video=youtube;zZzSy_w2mhs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZzSy_w2mhs&feature=channel_video_title[/video]
[video=youtube;1MaLyYzOPHw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MaLyYzOPHw&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

Where are the all the cyclists?

Cyclists are probably having difficulty using the path right now because it's so impractical to cross obstacles such as Bathurst street, Keele street and the GO tracks.

It also doesn't help that the path takes such an indirect route around the G Ross Lord reservoir.

In addition, I shot the video on a cold sunday evening. Hardly a high time for travel.

I was impressed with how many people were out biking on the Waterfront Trail this weekend. They were bundled up because the wind was fierce, but there were a lot of them out there. This morning, however, when it's generally commuter traffic, saw a definite decrease in numbers.

Thank you for the videos. I think it would be ideal for York U students and staff commuting, at least once the Keele and GO crossings are complete. I also don't expect that many people know about this trail yet either.

Thank you for the videos. I think it would be ideal for York U students and staff commuting, at least once the Keele and GO crossings are complete. I also don't expect that many people know about this trail yet either.

Now that you mention it, people not knowing about the path probably contributes as well.

Obviously the best way to get people cycling is to build infrastructure, but now that we have a piece of infrastructure, maybe advertising its utility might help. For the most part, our "trail network" is windy and impractical as a method of transport (except for the MGT and a couple other segments). Maybe we need some way of letting people know that the Finch path is actually a good way of getting places. Calling it a "recreational trail" certainly does not help in this respect. We should call it a "multi-use path" or a "bicycle path" instead.

It does serve destinations such as York U, a whole bunch of parks, the Yorkgate mall, Finch Station, North York Centre, the industrial area around the GO tracks, and a few schools. There are also tons of people living within easy reach of the path, so there should be plenty of trips that could be easily captured. Finch West station will likely be an enormous bicycle trip generator when it is built, especially from all those apartment buildings that line the corridor. Biking would be so much more convenient than taking a feeder bus, as long as adequate parking is provided.

I think that cyclists crossing the road at the stoplights would also serve as effective advertising for drivers, as long as they look like they're going somewhere, rather than just going for a ride for fun.

To attract utility cyclists, speed is crucial. If we're not attracting existing cyclists, it means the infrastructure doesn't allow a high enough average speed. The main issues are that there might be too many stops, too many hills and an overly indirect route. There are surprisingly few people commuting to Finch Station. This could be because there is not a great connection between the path and the bike parking, and that there isn't enough high-quality parking available. The main bike parking lot is on the east side of Yonge, so maybe it would help to build a second one on the west side by the kiss and ride as well.

But trip times will certainly decrease once all the traffic lights are operating and the railway crossing is built. Let's just wait and see what happens then.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great videos and commentary, reaperexpress. It's clear that there's enormous potential for utilitarian cycling in Toronto's unique suburbs, with high-density apartment neighbourhoods, subway stations, GO stations, destinations like university and college campuses, malls, and the mixed-use city centres. Properly designed infrastructure with well thought out design aimed at utilitarian cycling and amenities like parking in intuitive places can allow us to take advantage of the potential. Seeing a path with signals, curb cuts, painted crossings at intersections is a welcome start. I agree that when complete and if well advertised, these trails could be successful. In the future, I'd also like to see trails that allow you to get out into the country from the city by bike.

Thanks for the great videos and commentary, reaperexpress. It's clear that there's enormous potential for utilitarian cycling in Toronto's unique suburbs, with high-density apartment neighbourhoods, subway stations, GO stations, destinations like university and college campuses, malls, and the mixed-use city centres. Properly designed infrastructure with well thought out design aimed at utilitarian cycling and amenities like parking in intuitive places can allow us to take advantage of the potential. Seeing a path with signals, curb cuts, painted crossings at intersections is a welcome start. I agree that when complete and if well advertised, these trails could be successful. In the future, I'd also like to see trails that allow you to get out into the country from the city by bike.

Not to say they aren't important, but I personally don't see paths from the country to the city as a priority right now. The GTA has such a backlog in terms of cycling-friendliness that I think the primary concern should be to deal with existing trouble areas such as arterial roads.

The design quality of these new paths is certainly higher than we've ever seen in the city before. But off-road paths are not terribly challenging to design well, because for the most part, car interactions are handled at very simple intersections.

At more complex intersections (i.e. any normal intersection) there is no design precedent for a bike path. Whenever a bike path crosses at an intersection (such as at Sentinel), it is treated as a crosswalk, which creates an extremely dangerous situation for cyclists. Left turning vehicles are very likely to hit cyclists because it is extremely difficult to watch for a gap in traffic at the same time as keeping track of all the cyclists crossing in both directions. The reason that design kind of works with pedestrians is that they move much more slowly, so drivers don't have to constantly check the crosswalk. I've noticed two primary techniques used to mitigate this issue: Either
- have separate phases for bicycle crossings and left turns that would cross the bicycle path. (there is an example of it about 1:30 into this video)
or
- move the path crossing away from the intersection to allow turning cars to cross it separately. (here is a video showing an example)
An additional issue with the current design is that there is little consideration given to turning movements. For example, when the FHC path crosses Sentinel, there is no easy way to turn from the eastbound path to the northbound bike lane.

Last edited:
I agree that city-country paths aren't a clear priority, but they would be a great piece of infrastructure to have and are within our reach with some cooperation between municipalities in Greater Toronto. They would need to establish several routes and complete them in segments. At the same time, these paths would be used for more utilitarian trips in the city. So it's just another piece to the puzzle of promoting cycling as far as I'm concerned--neither priority number one nor something to set aside for a couple of decades either.

I'd love to tour all Toronto's trails, but I'm moving to Waterloo so that would hardly be practical. If you're interested in Waterloo's trails though...
I split my time between Toronto and Waterloo, so any more trail videos you can provide would be useful information. :)

I agree that city-country paths aren't a clear priority, but they would be a great piece of infrastructure to have and are within our reach with some cooperation between municipalities in Greater Toronto. They would need to establish several routes and complete them in segments. At the same time, these paths would be used for more utilitarian trips in the city. So it's just another piece to the puzzle of promoting cycling as far as I'm concerned--neither priority number one nor something to set aside for a couple of decades either.

The reason I prefer to start from within the city is to increase the percentage of utilitarian cycle trips. A trail to the country would be much more popular for people riding for fun than for people going places. That would only solidify the status quo where bike paths are for recreation rather than transportation.

I split my time between Toronto and Waterloo, so any more trail videos you can provide would be useful information. :)

The only path I use here is the Laurel Trail. It's really convenient for me, but there isn't really anything to say about it. It's just a strip of pavement. There is one signalized crosswalk, but that's it.

Last edited:
Right-On....I guess a network of separate bike-lanes can be classified as bike paths.

Separate lanes at last
New Sherbourne bike lane designs look good, but are they enough to make bikers forgive Jarvis

It just might be the start of a truce.

After years of polarizing debate and abandoned plans, at an open house on Thursday the city unveiled designs for Toronto’s first ever separated bike lanes. The wounds of the cycling wars are still raw, but if the lanes on Sherbourne St. succeed, it could be proof that those on four wheels and those on two can safely co-exist on Toronto's roads.

Construction on the Sherbourne lanes will begin as early as May and be completed by the fall. The 3-km lanes represent a coup for cycling advocates, who for years have been lobbying City Hall for the kind of bike infrastructure that’s now common in places like New York and Montreal.

“Cities all across North America that are doing way more innovative things for cyclists have been building separated bike lanes for a long time,†said Toronto Cyclists Union president Andrea Garcia Thursday. “It’s great to finally see Toronto catch up.â€

What’s being proposed for Sherbourne is a hybrid of two different concepts. From Bloor St. to Gerrard St., the lanes would be at street level and separated from car traffic by a curb. From Gerrard to Lakeshore Blvd., previously scheduled road resurfacing will allow for more substantial overhaul of the streetscape, and the lanes would be elevated to sidewalk level to create a raised cycle track.

More..........http://www.nowtoronto.com/daily/news/story.cfm?content=184958

City reveals plan for separated bike lanes on Sherbourne
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ated-bike-lanes-on-sherbourne/article2316612/

Right-On....I guess a network of separate bike-lanes can be classified as bike paths.

That is true, but there's an even better thread: Separate bike lanes headed downtown, which discusses the downtown separated bike lane project (Sherbourne, Richmond & Wellesley).

Or maybe this project deserves its own thread, since it involves fairly substantial construction on some segments.

Last edited:

Back