News   May 08, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.6K     3 

BBQs on balconies

JayBee

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm noticing a lot of condos are now allowing bbq's on balconies (not terraces). Why? I always figured the city didn't allow them.

I'm noticing a lot of condos are now allowing bbq's on balconies (not terraces). Why? I always figured the city didn't allow them.
Are these propane, or do they have natural gas lines from the building?

Where is the smoke going?

I do know that some buildings simply don't enforce anti-BBQ rules.

Are these propane, or do they have natural gas lines from the building?

Where is the smoke going?

I do know that some buildings simply don't enforce anti-BBQ rules.
Some do have gas lines, but others don't.

I know I've seen many bbq's on Glas' balconies and I don't think they have gas hookup.

I support the unconditional right of all BBQ's to live free on balconies all across our fair city.

I know they have electric bbq's now which are allowed but does anybody know if electric bbq taste as good?

electric bbq, pfff. sacrilege! i got chained to a rock and have my liver pecked out every day for this!

Out of desperation I bought an electric bbq awhile ago. It's not terrible, but it's not the same either. I still prefer to pan fry my steaks, put it like that.

The BBQ's are usually an upgrade option when it's offered and is most often supplied by propane lines. It's not permitted under Toronto fire code to carry flammables (propane tanks etc.) up a passenger elevator. If I recall, the BBQ has to be "x" amount of feet away from the balcony or terrace entrance.

The BBQ's are usually an upgrade option when it's offered and is most often supplied by propane lines. It's not permitted under Toronto fire code to carry flammables (propane tanks etc.) up a passenger elevator. If I recall, the BBQ has to be "x" amount of feet away from the balcony or terrace entrance.
Propane lines? Are they common? I've never been in a place that has had propane lines.

Charcoal > gas > electric

Charcoal is a lot messier and smokier though, so probably not great for balconies.

It's not permitted under Toronto fire code to carry flammables (propane tanks etc.) up a passenger elevator.
It's the Ontario Fire Code, not Toronto. Like the Building Code, it comes from the province.

I looked into this issue just recently when I got a barbeque on my balcony. Propane cylinders can be transported in a regular elevator only if there's no service elevator and you have to be by yourself. The tank valve has to be 1 m horizontally from any opening below it, and 3 m from an air intake. Nothing combustible within 1 m of the side of the bbq and 3 m from the top. There's a few other rules, all common sense stuff like keeping propane tanks outdoors and having a fire extinguisher nearby. Check with the fire department.

Oh god...pan frying steaks... I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore!

Back